WEATHER II: Hell on Earth

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Weather

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 am

Got an absolutely insane amount of rain dumped on me during my drive back into the city today:

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 am

First monsoon of the season; fuck yes.

So we get two of the dog's favorite things tonight: a thunderstrom and a new episode of Game of Thrones!

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 am

Thad if you don't post at least a few more "Thad's Dog Watches Game of Thrones" then you are dead to me

like not "yyler didn't post an LP of ek3 so that Brentai could abridge it dead to me" dead to me, but "And then the universe exploded" dead to me.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am

She really didn't have anything to say about this one.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 am

(IIRC she had some opinions on last season's racist depiction of pit bulls, though.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

AC went out last night. Unclear at this point whether a part replacement will do the job or if I need to buy a new one.

At least it's happening during monsoons; we're due for a high of 93 today. This makes me even happier about that trip to Flagstaff last month; if the AC was about to crap out on us, then I suspect having it at its usual 77-78 temperature during the hottest week of the year (high of 119) would have likely burned it out sooner, and if it had died last month it would have meant getting a hotel room or staying with relatives until it got fixed. (Or sleeping in the laundry room, I guess, which has its own separate AC unit and where we had a spare mattress stored until a couple of days ago.) As it is, we don't need to do that; it's pretty warm inside with no AC (even with the windows and doors open), but it's livable.

Hoping it gets fixed today. Or at least early tomorrow. Because last night was okay, and tonight's going to be okay, but then it's forecast to warm back up for the rest of the week before getting stormy again on Saturday.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Crisis averted. I'm still going to need to buy a new AC, but it looks like this one will probably last long enough that I can wait until the fall.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm

What are you guys doing for the eclipse? I have apparently decided it's the best possible time to finally get a Brand of Sacrifice tattoo.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Probably working. Hoping that by the time I get to the office, they'll still have eclipse glasses to hand out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm gonna go take over the Fire Nation while they're helpless and can't do any bending.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Looks like it's going to hit right around the time I'm driving to work. So I should catch the sunset/darkness/sunrise, and may have a few minutes to observe through a pinhole or something before I get in the car.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:14 pm

My wife floated the idea of going to the El Modena open space in east Orange County. I need to ask Romosome and my boss what they think about it.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:39 am

Prolly just gonna walk outside and watch. Got the glasses, so mise well.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Hurricane Harvey now predicted to be a category three on landfall. We have 1-2 Texans here, IIRC? I can't recall what part of Texas tho.

GTFO if you gotta. Don't try to drive through water.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Eh, the last time we evacuated (for Rita) we spent 30 hours on the road for it to spin at the last minute and basically give the entire city a light dusting of rain while it charged full bore into Louisana instead, and the last time we were hit with a two-week-long power outage in most of the city it was on a relatively minor tropical storm that no one really gave a shit about until it hit.

Which is to say I've got a couple of gallons of water in the fridge like always and gassed up my car and other than that BIG SHRUGS because none of this shit is predictable around here. My Whole Foods (and pretty much every other one, and pretty much every HEB according to my brother) looked like the fucking apocalypse hit it by the time I rolled out of there today though. I think too many people remember the Rita evacuation disaster to even want to consider leaving town again so we're all pretty much at the "would rather die in a goddamn hurricane" stage at this point. I live in a part of town not super prone to flooding, and that still had all its power during said tropical storm, so I'm about as good as I can be location wise from past experience.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I've heard similar sentiments from people around here who had to evac because of the Oroville Dam problems (it ended up being completely fine and the evac was "pointless") and I just keep pointing out it's like a reverse cry wolf, refuse to evac because last time you didn't need to, and eventually, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm not saying you're wrong Niku, different sitch and all. I'm mostly just sort of rolling my eyes at people who don't want to evac when there's a danger that a 30 foot wall of water will kill you at any moment because last time it didn't happen.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 am

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong; if I was down in Galveston this would be an entirely different story. We're definitely in the path of this thing, and there are still people in Galveston and on Bolivar or in Corpus right now who are very much I AIN'T FUCKIN' MOVIN' whereas I'd be in a completely different situation to at least go stay with my parents on the north side if that was the case. Historically we just happen to be in a pretty sturdy area for hurricanes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:32 am

I hear that when my great-grandmother heard somebody criticize people who stayed in New Orleans in '05 and ask why they didn't just evacuate, responded that she was from Florida and there are so many hurricane evacuations you can't expect everyone to evacuate every time.

Course, she was also in her eighties, so it wasn't as easy for her to just pack up, get in the car, and drive away.

Good luck out there, Niku and anybody else in the path.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:57 am

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 am

Sounds like Corpus and surrounding got the shit kicked out of it and now it's down to Cat 1 for the rest of us, so time to settle in for five days of rain and see how close we come to becoming the lost city of Atlantis this time around.

(I'm pretty fucking pissed this morning actually because the lady got called in to work because her boss was flooded in and so now she might have to work a double shift because they're refusing to close the store. ~RETAIL~)