A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Mongrel

Re: A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:32 am

The weather man says a storm is coming. Everybody panics & gets prepared. The preacher says Jesus is coming & nobody moves. Let that sink in for a minute.

(clearly the punchline here is that the preacher has a worse track record than a TV weatherman)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:55 am

I thought that was an argument for why naming storms is stupid.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Tropical Storm Jesus is rapidly approaching the Baja

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Eh bud, I don't think that came out sounding the way you wanted it to!

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:35 pm

i'm only against crony communism
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm

OPINION: As a baby boomer myself, I have mixed feelings about the latest linguistic weapon of generational warfare being deployed against us.

Am I OK with "OK Boomer," the flippant yet passive retort from millennials or members of Generation Z whenever anyone of my generation decries the dangers of e-scooters or overreactions to climate change?

I realise that whether I'm OK isn't really the question. Still, I would characterise my reaction as irritated, put off and maybe a bit flattered.

On the positive side, my generation is being treated as a force of nature, a generation so strong and influential that it must be addressed by name.

In so many debates today, being insulted is seen as a mark of importance. (For what it is worth, I don't go around talking about "millennials" or "Generation X" or "Generation Z" very much - this column excepted, I suppose.)

Furthermore, as an economist I see the word "boom" as having a generally positive connotation.

On the negative side, I worry that those who deploy "OK Boomer" are putting themselves down and signalling their own impotence. I am not arguing for "[Expletive Deleted] Boomer," even though it would have a vitality and rebellious spirit very much reminiscent of the 1960s or 1970s (which of course were quintessential boomer eras).

But when I read or hear "OK Boomer," I start to think there might be something special about baby boomers after all. We boomers may not be different in kind from other generations, but we do seem to inspire rhetorical creativity in our critics.

The closest earlier analog to "OK Boomer" is probably "OK, Chief," a slightly sardonic response to a bossy or persistent request. So the phrase "OK Boomer" is itself an implicit and indeed somewhat passive admission as to who is really in charge.
The biggest worry about "OK Boomer" is the generational stereotyping it embodies.

Members of Gen Z are subtly demonstrating that the cliches about them may have a grain of truth.

As I said I am a baby boomer, born in 1962, and I do a lot of public speaking about such topics as the absence of free lunches in this world. Yet I have never heard anyone say "OK Boomer" back to me.

OK Boomer.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm going to assume "overreacting to climate change" means attempting to do any tiniest thing about it.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 pm

mharr wrote:I'm going to assume "overreacting to climate change" means attempting to do any tiniest thing about it.

Why bother doing anything about something that won't matter until after you're dead?

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Mongrel wrote:OK Boomer.

That whole rubber-glue monologue does seem almost scientifically designed to garner that reaction without a hint of irony. Good job, I guess?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:17 pm

For my money, the best line in that mess is "I do a lot of public speaking about such topics as the absence of free lunches in this world".

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:04 am

Grath wrote:Why bother doing anything about something that won't matter until after you're dead?

Although in some cases, this same message (These kids need to stop panicking it'll only be one degree!) is coming from west coast techbros who deride the green movement as a religion while putting their own faith into science making them all immortal robots just in the nick of time. (No speculation on what happens to the world's billions of subsistence farmers, of course.)

So it must just be that it doesn't matter period.

EG: https://timeguide.wordpress.com/2012/06 ... nmentalism

Mongrel wrote:For my money, the best line in that mess is "I do a lot of public speaking about such topics as the absence of free lunches in this world".

A job you might argue to be the very definition of free lunch grifting.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am

Most people would rather be covered in spiders than speak publicly, so I'm not about to say he's not doing work. Not generating value though...

("You're not generating value" might be the most hurtful and accurate thing you can say to the typical angry Yuppie Boomer. Use it savagely.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Remember nuclear winter? Of course you don’t. That’s because it didn’t happen. Yet it was all the rage on the Left in the 1980s. A generation from now, no one will recall climate change either, and for the same reason. The apocalypse has become a political racket!

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 am

I should just never read the comments on Phoronix, even if it's an innocuous article.

Free Software Foundation Certifies Talos II With Respecting Your Freedom

some dumbass wrote:Congratulations Talos. But what about RMS leaving FSF? Doesn't that take away credibility from FSF?

some even bigger dumbass wrote: I agree with the above sentiments about the meaning of the FSF. That movement has been overtaken by liberals and SJW that will value [bigoted horseshit redacted], in place of the importance of free software and hardware.

That mouthbreathing shitgibbon has a point. After all, how can you possibly trust the organization dedicated to the principle that sharing is a moral imperative, now that it has ousted its longhaired Stein-voting Bostonian founder whose most notable accomplishment was the creation of something called copyleft, and been taken over by liberals?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:05 pm

"It's a serious mistake. We've made mistakes too, right, with self-driving ... So I think that people make mistakes. It doesn't mean that they can never be forgiven"

Uber CEO on Saudi Arabia's killing of Jamal Khashoggi