Things That Go in Your Mouth

Yoji

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 pm

I'm thinking of packing lunches for my wife and I, but I could use some help.

I'm easy, but her situation is tricky. She works as a nurse practitioner, running all over town to make house calls and hospice visits. Her schedule is flexible, but time is tight when she's actually out there doing her thing. Like she barely has time to answer text messages, so stopping for food is out of the question. I floated the idea of packing lunches, but she said she doesn't want to potentially get her hands dirty with food; "I carry hand sanitizer, but I don't always have sink access." So as things stand, she'd rather stoically do her thing and eat... whenever, later, I dunno.

So rather than just let her do what she thinks is best, I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Drinkable soups in a thermos?

atog

Postby atog » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 pm

If she doesn't have any notable dietary restrictions i.e. salt restriction, diabetes, wheat or gluten allergy, there's lots of homemade wraps, rolls, and sammiches that work pretty well. If you're talking about sitting in a hot vehicle for 12 hours, your best bets are PB&J, almond butter, or a sealed single-serving can of tuna salad or meat spread you can spread on a piece of bread or tortilla you bring with you separately. Pickled or preserved items also work, though clients would likely prefer these not be pickled garlic, sprats, or hog jowls.

Peelable fruit that isn't squirty/juicy, or dried fruit, sealed fruit salad cups, and box juices are another item that works real well for field work. Bananas, dried apricots, apples, small pit fruits, fruit preserves, and fruit bars/granola bars are all workable. Citrus is tough because it leaves a waxy, sticky grime on your hands that sanitizer won't touch - in fact it mixes with the sanitizer and infuses it with a sticky citrusy fragrance. :P

Nuts are a staple for travel munchies and don't need huge amounts of salt/sugar/syrup whatever to be tasty. Allergy alert: Don't leave traces of nut oils or dust on your hands or clothes- "drink" nuts out of a sealable hard plastic or glass container. E.g. a "hippie sippie" cup with a mix of natural almonds, pieces of cereal or granola, dried fruit bits, and other dry bits. Alternatively you could make a "Caesar cup" with bacon bits/crumbles, turkey jerky, croutons, unsalted oyster crackers, dry pepperoni stick ends, and vegetable shoestrings. Dry cups full of kibble require basically 0 prep time and serving size is up to you.

Vegetables: any pre-cut or whole firm raw vegetable or mix should be OK travelling with you in a hot car for a day. Leave the salad dressing at home. Sugary vegetables like tomatoes and bell peppers are probably not good for durable lunch.

Food bars: this would include protein bars, meal replacers, Ensure, etc. You'll go broke buying these and they will leave you feeling like you want real food. Also, if you're in the field you might not have a drink handy and these are basically condensed desiccated food.

Water keeps indefinitely in a clean container. Warm pop should still be OK. Don't store diet soda in a hot car; the heat breaks down the aspartame and makes you taste the bitter breakdown products which are deffo not good for you.

If you do like coffee or tea, buy a decent thermos that doesn't leak and can be taken apart to clean out ALL surfaces that come in contact with liquids. Make sure it can survive being dropped out of your hand while standing up out of the car, and rolling down an embankment, possibly into facing traffic. XD

Always have a few pieces of cinnamon gum handy if you can't stop and brush up after lunch. The cinnamaldehyde in the flavoring of cinnamon gum is reportedly bacteriostatic, unlike virtually any of the other common flavoring agents. It will keep your mouth fresher longer throughout your shift.

LAst but not least, if you're really stuck, and you expect to be living for weeks out in the bush from your car, go to a bulk goods store and get precooked brown lentil soup mix. Divide them up into portions that will fit into a grande-sized or venti-sized durable coffee cup (about 3/4 cup dry). Store the dry portions in sealed units (a tackle box with 16 cubbyholes each with a cling wrapped portion of dry lentils). When you get a chance, use 12 oz of ANY LIQUID to reconstitute 1 portion of lentil soup in your designated cup. I've had satisfying, protein-rich lentil soup while on duty in a variety of isolated settings. It tastes just as good mixed with lukewarm Pepsi as it does with hot water or cold coffee.

You can leave the tackle box in your car for months to years, so long as insects and moisture can't get into the tackle box.

Lipton's sealed foil packets of salt soup mix also work fine, just as long as you're aware that soup mixes require liquid, and the better ones, the ones with actual vegetable bits and noodles and stuff, require more, and hotter, liquid.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll try the hippie sippie myself and see how that works out.

François

Postby François » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:37 am

I bought an air fryer a couple weeks ago, and it's been doing decent enough work that I don't regret the expense. Deep-frying isn't really something anyone in my extended family does, I suspect I'm not equipped for it, and the notion kinda gives me the heebie-jeebies besides, so it's nice to have access to that flavor profile at home anytime I like.

My mandoline's been seeing a lot more use in consequence, which is always nice, or at least it would be if my brain didn't insist on imagining in exquisite detail how it would feel to stick my tongue in it every time I set it up.

The fries are worth it though.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Maybe buy a beef tongue and slice it real thin, see if it gives you some catharsis?

Then you can marinate it and make tacos or something

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm

When I bought my convection oven/air fryer, the salesman told me that any convection oven can be used as an air fryer; you just need the basket.

I haven't tested that claim but it seems legit.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:31 am

Huh, I guess I had no idea what an air fryer is. I tried Googling what Thad said, and it seems that because I already have a convection toaster oven, I already have an air fryer? And everything I bake in there is air-fried, because "air frying" isn't a real thing?

To cut to the point, should I be trying to make oven fries in my convection toaster oven?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 am

An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism. It is a downsized version of the convection oven.

I'll admit, I brought into the buzzword until Thad mentioned that as well.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 pm

To get back to Zed's post, I always figure that having an actual hot-oil deep-fryer in your home crosses a sort of threshold which really shouldn't be crossed.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 pm

While being the same mechanically, when you're trying to cook by circulating air around, the size of the space you're cooking in becomes relevant. An air fryer fries and a convection oven roasts, effectively.

I've been probably overusing my air fryer ever since I got one for my birthday. It has all but obliviated the need to go out for french fries, hash brown patties, chicken wings, nuggets, or if I'm feeling particularly lazy, overcooked hamburger patties. What I'm saying is I don't ever need to worry about wanting McDonald's again, and that's without adding drop of oil.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Having an actual hot-oil deep-fryer in your home is probably a better idea than my default of boiling some sunflower oil in a random saucepan, dropping things in and fishing them out with a fork when they look done.

Which reminds me, I think I have some frozen churros somewhere. BRB.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:To get back to Zed's post, I always figure that having an actual hot-oil deep-fryer in your home crosses a sort of threshold which really shouldn't be crossed.

Deep frying is actually really easy, tasty, and not unhealthy if you're using the right oils. Fats aren't bad.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 pm

I got a deep fryer for free from work that had never been used, but it still hasn't been used. Someday. I'm mostly afraid of making our tiny apartment smell like a fast food kitchen instead of the way it usually smells, which is "who threw five bulbs of garlic into the skillet".

I made ginger scallion sauce at home for the first time the other day. For the longest time it was just "that random delicious not-pesto that the chefs used to serve sometimes at family meal" at the restaurant I worked at and I just never really thought to look up how to make it. It's ludicrously easy, of course.

3 BIG SPOONS OF GRATED GINGER --> DICE ONE BUNDLE OF GREEN ONIONS --> MASH SALT DOWN ON TOP OF BOTH OF THOSE --> DROP SIZZLING HOT NEUTRAL OIL ON TOP --> STIR AND ADD A SPOON OF SOY SAUCE/FISH SAUCE/MSG --> DELICIOUS.

I served it with some shrimp and rice for dinner and then used up the rest (with some additional chili oil and a splash of dumpling sauce) on noodles for lunch. It goes perfectly on basically anything that likes salt and onions, so, anything. Poached skin-on, bone-in chicken is pretty traditional and delicious with it and how I first had it.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

I tried a new thing and made pecan pie brownies for tomorrow.

Hell is waiting for them to cool enough to see if they actually turned out good.

edit: oh *man*

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 am

Well, I guess I need to make these now.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 am

I made stew today.

I felt like documenting it, so I took pictures, and tweeted them.

Here's that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:55 am

Aw fuck that looks gooooooooood.

I love a nice stew or soup.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 pm

I made vegetarian chili!

Thanks to working from home and no school for Kiddo 01, I'm trying to help with dinner, which means trying to find stuff I can make myself.

Could've done one with meat, but my wife is pescatarian, the COVID crisis in US slaughterhouses, and general environmental anxiety pushed me to try meatless. A little less hot than the recipe called for to make it safe for the kids, but still not bad. But holy cow, I always thought of chili as bachelor chow! Like something you just toss together and it's done quick with much less chopping than I did. Or I dunno, maybe it just seems to take time when your kid is bothering you for Mega Man tips every 20 seconds.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 pm

The more time you have to devote to chili, the more flavor you can develop. If I’m in the mood for it it’s gonna be an all day affair, though most of that is going to be simmering and stewing after the initial prep.