In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am

I dreamed Buge was in the middle of a fancy mall on a little mini-dance floor, teaching traditional Polish folk dances to any curious passers-by willing to pair up.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:11 pm

That sounds like fun. Too bad the Polish festival was a month ago.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I was briefly lucid this morning!

I understand the main trick to lucid dreaming is some sort of "reality check," where you notice something is off and signals that you're in a dream. The common ones I hear are to hold your nose to see if you can still breathe or try and poke through your own hand or read things. Which I'd do, except I never have the presence of mind to try; it's hard to examine your surroundings when an angry mecha is shooting lawn darts at you.

But this morning, I did it. For whatever reason, a friend-like character was tossing around big blocks of ice to people, like "hey, help me carry this, bruh." They were pretty big, like the size of an SNES, and surprisingly transparent. But as I was holding the thing, I spun it between my hands and thought "huh, I thought ice was heavier... waaaaaiitaminnit!" In retrospect, it didn't feel particularly cold, either.

Too bad I didn't accomplish much with my newfound brain powers. I tried flying like I've done before, but it was difficult as always. Like, I really had to concentrate just to hover a few feet off the ground. Easier to walk up a wall or do some moonjumping*, which I chalk up to being more familiar actions in my waking life; like, how does your average human fly, anyway?). I tried getting down to business and moving on to something more X-rated, but something distracted me. Before I knew it, I was on some random car trip with a very unruly toddler, right until I was woken up by a very unruly toddler.

Still, that ice thing. When I wake up in The Matrix, it'll be over something boring and obscure like "wait, I thought it was righty-tighty, lefty-loosey."
*hm... is "moonjump" still used outside of old Game Genie manuals? Or is my age just showing here?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 pm

I had another movie-dream, though it only made it halfway, or maybe two-thirds of the way through.

This one was a drama surrounding the fate of the huge classic car collection of an elderly Anthony Quinn who played "Salah Achmed" a business owner in a southwestern state concerned about his legacy, and several Jewish business partners of his who were trying to help him out in this. The protagonist ( who might've been played by Michael Stuhlbarg, but I'm not sure) was one of these business partners, a fellow who's main business was a company that made mayonnaise, but who was trying to help his good friend and partner out in spite of his being out of his depth with the cars, and who carries on even though Achmed dies tragically midway through the film.

The acting is so powerful in these things and the cinematography so amazing that I wake up all drained and sort of overwhelmed (but not necessarily tired). They're profoundly emotionally affecting.

This time I actually saw myself in third person watching a TV, sobbing at a particularly poignant moment or later yelling as the main character decides to go after the villain. There's the profound sense of loss on waking up from these... I get to see something phenomenal, but no one else will ever share this experience.

...then I went back to sleep and dreamt about space pirates and their adventures in sea and space.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I dreamed that Disney bought the James Bond franchise and decided it was going to be part of the MCU.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:55 pm

That doesn't sound implausible.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am

Disney + Kingdom Hearts is the new Tommy Westphall of media interconnectedness.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Isn't KH about a literal Westphall Universe?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Long dream (me? a long dream? nahhhhh) that started off with a Harry-potter-esque pair of boy and girl cousins being sent to Ireland via Wales (by using magical teleportation/flying boots) to investigate some sort of magical mystery, which at first looked like some human CSI sort of doomsday bio-engineered plague plot but which eventually turned out to be an invasion from some sort of magical plane or something which went full on anime batshit crazy towards the end with processions of all sorts of magical creatures on both sides and flying mecha suits and everything but the damn kitchen sink. There were even Voltron parade balloons and Monty Burns in a flying victorian carriage pulled by skeletal horses.

Anyway, the two bits I liked most were:

1) The moment the cousins realize it's all real (starting as skeptics), when they woke up after the first night in a completely different location and looked out a window to see an absolutely beautiful (presumably Irish) snow-covered cityscape, with wide parks and many gothic-style cathedrals, yellow sun illuminating the left sides of buildings and blue shadows on the right, almost like a painting.

2) When they're running around a mall in Dublin looking for the "bomb" which will begin to tear open the rift or portal through which the invasion will begin and my brain started playing AC/DC's Live Wire as the soundtrack, because it's my brain and knows what I like. \m/

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 am

I dreamt all night about doing tedious administrative tasks.

Work is getting out of hand.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Not exactly a dream, but all the closet lights are on again and we never use those normally. Last time that happened I was sleepwalking and having a minecraft dream, all placing light sources to get rid of spawns in the house. I don't remember anything this time, though, and I don't want to set up a camera again because that's always some Jekyll by way of the Ring kind of creepy watching yourself-but-not wandering around doing nonsensical crap while being followed around by a worried dog. One time I watched myself build an old fashioned and just leave it on the bartop like it was for someone. Sure enough, I turned around and it was still sitting there, watered down from the melted ice, but a perfectly passable old fashioned all the same. I even used a coaster. Thanks, creepy unconscious me.

So... I guess I'm timesharing again. Yay. Maybe he'll vacuum or do my taxes or something fucking useful this time. Freeloading bastard.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 am

I imagined a hilariously bad early-80's Paul Newman movie. The basic plot was that the protagonist's wife had allowed her business to get involved with some local hoods. She then gets kidnapped and he has to rescue her, first by tracking the hoods down through seedy warehouse areas, and then in a car chase which ends up in a Big Fight showdown. He then finally rescues her following another fight in a sculpture park outside city hall.

First Newman's the only real actor in the bunch - everyone else is a clownish amateur, especially the crooks. The writing and lines are disastrous, and wonderfully corny. The Wilhelm Scream is used multiple times as a necessity rather than a sly nod to film tradition. The low budget also means there's only a couple of prop guns, so most of the fights are poorly "choreographed" punch-ups. The car chase is on a nondescript stretch of highway out in the countryside for no reason other than it was way cheaper than trying to get an urban section of highway blocked off for a car chase scene.

The funniest part is that there's virtually no budget for sets, so wherever the film crew goes they used what's already on location and if they had to fabricate any set stuff they made it with either unpainted white foamcore boards, or obviously cheap plastic junk (like a dollar store serving bowl), with the plastic covered in tinfoil if it was supposed to represent "metal". The high point of this is the fight in the "sculpture park" which is actually almost entirely giant crude foamcore pedestals with tinfoil-covered crap on top.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 pm

I got a haircut last night. Then I dreamed that she had somehow managed to both extend and color my hair without my noticing, and shape it to such a fine degree that I had become indistinguishable from a Japanese high school girl. Also the fire had consumed both my home and my mother's and we were both shacked up in Alabama. At the end of several misadventures I found out that it was just a cheap Princess Jasmine wig that had been glued to my head.

I usually don't sleep long enough to let my brain do this to me.

atog

Postby atog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Dreamed I faked knowing Portuguese to get a job at some froofroo boutique downtown. I knew someone who worked there, but she was like "I can only help you so much, the rest is all up to you". Edit: I didn't get the job ofc, the only Portuguese I know is the names of a few Magic cards and "Vou fazer"
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:32 am

I had an awesome dream about watching a Dragon Quest anime. I guess it was more Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest, since it was all monsters. I can't remember much except it was great and it was in Japanese, so I had to hit the "Subtitles" button on the remote. But I remember hearing the Japanese voices and they were spot on for what DQ monsters ought to sound like. Wish I could remember what the story was about.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Alexis says that Doc McStuffins is invading her dreams now.

She and my son were somehow driving through space in a car. Before long, they encountered some kind of alien battlefleet. A huge line of all kinds of warships, all in perfect formation with weapons armed and ready. But as they kept driving, they realized they weren't real. They were all toys. Actually not just toys, but they were part of a display in some kind of alien hobby shop.

Meanwhile... well, I was trying to find a lush hillside for some stargazing and chill, but instead I got vaguely familiar surroundings with nobody dream characters giving me unnerving vibes. Y'know, the usual stuff. Me? Jealous? Whatever gave you that idea?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:29 pm

I had one dream where I was watching an 80's era dystopian-orwellian-cyberpunk anime, called The Republic. Part of the over-the-top dark satire was the fact that 80's-anime Donald Trump (he did not have big eyes - he had those little squinty lines) was a figurehead president of the global hegemon.

I had another dream where Starr and I were watching a fun facts nature series. The particular episode we were watching revealed that the Northern Lights were not visible in Norway due to the residents' extreme flatulence (supposedly brought on by overconsumption of cheese and wine) affecting the upper atmosphere in the region.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Some sort of Stranger Things-ish 80s horror movie. Protagonists included a tween boy, a 9-year-old or so girl, and the boy's pit bull terrier style dog. The boy had found a baseball with strange designs on it - this is somehow related to a cursed public swimming pool and various kids disappearing in a dance party at said pool a couple decades before.

The relationship becomes apparent when the boy's dog vanishes, and the baseball manifests a fucking dog snout that does nothing but whine.

Standard horror movie stuff, everyone is consumed by the cursed ball but the boy and the girl. They sit by the sidewalk dejected, the girl petting the ball's dog snout to try to comfort it.

Suddenly, the dog reappears. The trick to breaking the curse is simply to 'call' the vanished people by treating the ball as if it was them.

So there's a montage as the boy dances with the ball to call back the vanished kids, and so on. the end

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:13 am

I was in a region of the frontier that was facing forces of darkness. I mean actual darkness-based malevolent powers, not just trite shorthand for eeevil. And it seemed to come in three distinct phases.

First, there were the possessions. The victims' skin would turn black, and they'd start climbing up walls and through openings in people's shelters, like windows and air ducts. I don't think they were directly hostile, but it looked like they were sabotaging defenses- opening shutters and cutting wires- ahead of the second phase.

Next would come what looked like a pitch black sandstorm, like it was made of coal. Everyone seemed to be expecting it, as there were sirens sounding when the clouds came over the hills. As we hunkered down, I could see what looked like dusty black hands pawing all over the windows, and all over the structure from the sound of it. I think I saw a person caught outside, and something in the clouds seemed to drag them away in an instant. Whatever it was, we didn't want to be outside or leave so much as a window cracked open.

The weirdest was a phenomenon I think I heard someone call "Dislocation." Through unknown means, time would stop for a group of people inside a structure, the color would drain from the surroundings, and the entire structure would tumble... somewhere. Like it was plucked from reality for a short while. It could happen to as little as two people in a car, or a whole multi-floor building with everyone inside. When I was caught in a shabby office, we seemed to be drifting through some void filled with similarly dislocated buildings floating everywhere. But we couldn't get a good look, as everyone felt the need to stay stone still, not even daring to turn their heads or breathe too much. Nothing happened before I woke up, but it felt like something in that void outside was looking for us, turning the building over and over. We couldn't see it, but it couldn't see us if we were still and silent.

Ambiguous evil happenings invoking hushed dread in its victims? I'm blaming Death Stranding for this one.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:17 pm

I was a Bond-esque spy with an older companion on a submarine full of monsters, and the only way out was to go down some drainpipe. My brain had so many nitpicks about the logic of the scenario that it ended up riffing me awake.

Everyone's a critic.