In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Caithness

Re: In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Postby Caithness » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Paul Ryan was inaugurated in a 6 a.m. Ceremony, so I didn't find out he was president until after waking up.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:06 pm

I was hiking... and maybe flying a drone in the hills. Or maybe it was some Nihei-esque enclosed environment, because I recall seeing massive metal walls in the distance. Anyway, I was out on some scrubby SoCal hills, doing outdoorsy things and flying in some way. So far, cool enough. But then I spotted someone walking to the edge of a cliff, zoomed in(??), and realized it was Anthony Scaramucci. Like, in a suit and everything, but carrying a dog in his arms for some reason. As I'm trying to get closer, he just chucks the poor thing over edge and goes on with his business.

That fucker was only around for ten days, and he's already in my dreams. Maybe I should consider therapy. Or drugs.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:27 am

I found out yesterday that some sort of cafe opened up a 3 minute walk from my house.

I dreamt last night that I found out it was a gaming cafe, but when I got there you were only allowed to play WoW. :(

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:14 am

Silver this thread is The Land of Wonderful Dreams, not The Pit of Horrible Wailing and Screaming
ImageImageImage

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Dreamed I was hanging out at the end of time, siphoning feeble hawking radiation off the last of the black holes and running at a crazily reduced clock speed in addition to time dilation. The last few trillion years passed in an eyeblink, and then my alarm went off. I'm glad it woke me before proton decay became a serious concern. No more ambien for me.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am

A zombie dream with some interesting twists? Sure, I'll take it.

For one thing, there were these weird sub-zombies. They looked like regular people, even up close, but if you watched them for a while you'd realize they weren't right. They seemed to just be parroting the last thing they heard, waiting for some trigger; I saw a guy early on who was just staggering along with a crowd of humans, asking "Where're y'goin'?" over and over, and at first I thought he was just delirious or not all there. It wasn't until much later when he got some buddies who gathered around him and started saying the same thing, and soon after something snapped and they all converged on a nearby shelter.

I say they were waiting for a trigger because of something that happened with another survivor. Some friends came back from a scouting mission where they learned that... someone. The government? The Umbrella corporation? I have no idea. But anyway, someone was turning people into mental zombies with subliminal triggers. Without thinking, one of them says something like "yeah, dude, they were using stuff like this old record we found as a trigger. That's some Manchurian Candidate shit, man." And then a fellow survivor's eyes flickered bright green as she started convulsing and vomiting.

But the really scary part was when I found myself stuck in a cellar with my companion. We were dispatching some more regular zombies, but then a flood of these mental zombies poured in. They weren't going after us, but they were starting to crush us with their weight. Even better, when we cried out in alarm, they all started screaming together.

Kind of a weird cherry on top: people kept trying to hit me and my wife with various vehicles? Nearly got munched by a bus and then a train at an evacuation center. And sometime later in what looked like our usual neighborhood, someone tried to ram us with a car. Like, not even to loot us, they just looked like they were in a hurry or just plain didn't care.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

Saw ghosts this morning, which was confounding for a stone-cold atheist**. Even worse, they were my aunt and my mother*.

Not surprising that I saw my aunt, considering I've been thinking about her daily since she was killed. Still jarring as hell. "Kathy? You can't be here, you're dead and there's no life after death. How are you here? Why aren't you saying anything?"

Even weirder was seeing my mom. She was more happy and talkative, and I was happy to see her, but I also felt rushed; asked her about things in the here-after, tried filling her in on things that happened since her passing(?), and tried to show her the latest pictures of Franzie on my phone. But towards the end, she got all creepy and prophetic, warning me "you have five years to get underground before the Silver Moon comes."

My day is like a half-hour old and I already need a hug.

*She's not actually dead. Facebook informs me she's fishing on Sandy Lake in Maine with my asshole brother***.
**For anyone who knows me on Facebook, help me keep that part secret? Nobody in my family knows yet, and it'd break more than a few hearts.
***That part, too. It's true he's an asshole, but I really can't say that in the interest of fraternal cohesion.
****Wow, did this turn into some cross-post with Shittier Days? Damn.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Aw man, geez.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Dreamed of a weird movie indeed last night.

This was supposedly made in the 70's and on a tight budget. I forget how it opened, but early on we're introduced to a crazy trucker played by a wild-eyed Christopher Lee, with a beard that looked like an explosion and clothes which were almost rags, except for his trucker hat which is just really filthy. He seems seriously mentally unstable and sinister and is driving a stolen then-top-of-line truck filled with some kind of super technology (it actually looks like the trailer is some kind of mobile lab) and... a baby? Some kind of special baby.

Meanwhile a regular ordinary trucker (but played by my grandpa... what?) is on his way down the highway between cities. His truck is normal but the interior of the cab is bizarrely long and large, like a big van. He's accompanied by a friend/copilot. Both of them are dressed in McFly padded vests (Grandpa in a red one, copilot in blue), cheap grey t-shirts, jeans, work boots, and of course, trucker hats.

Eventually the crazy trucker breaks down or is stopped or something but gets away with the baby and convinces my grandpa to pick them up. As he keeps cruising down the highway he sees something out of the corner of his eye, and, being a very good driver, swerves precisely to avoid an accident behind him as a very old 30's pickup (with oddly cartoony proportions), veers into the path of a garbage truck (why is a garbage truck on the highway?) and is demolished in a fiery wreck. I also remember that the old pick up was my grandpa's (just in the dream, not IRL) and he gave it to the film director to crash because of the low budget. Anyway, Grandpa trucker stops and turns around to help the accident victims, as do the others on the road and everyone gets out of the truck, even crazy trucker, holding the baby.

There's nothing they can do, but just then a youngish latino nun with a strong accent shows up with a gun and hijacks the truck (Grandpa's truck was the vehicle parked furthest forward from the crash), forcing everyone back inside the cab-of-holding. The copilot pulls a gun of his own from under the glove compartment, but the nun realizes it's a rusty relic with no bullets and kicks it out of copilot's hand, laughing as it falls into several pieces on the cab floor.

The nun forces them to drive to a nearby airfield, when we realize that a fleet of government MIB cars are headed for us as well. The nun, who of course pulls off her wimple to reveal long black hair and the fact that she's not a nun, hastily explains something about the crazy trucker and then super-baby such that the ordinary truckers agree to help. Grandpa goes to talk to the MIB guys and stall them in a folksy way, while the copilot reassembles the non-functional gun and uses it to help the nun hijack a light plane. The nun, the crazy, and the baby all escape and fly to Cuba, and the two ordinary truckers simply claim they were being ordered at gunpoint. The last shot is of the crazy trucker holding the baby up to the plane window and cackling crazily.

As another layer, I was alternately IN the movie (as the copilot), or not, but showing the movie to friends. I wound up dreaming the story several times (I think in some versions the copilot goes in the plane too and they all escape to Cuba together), going a little further each time. What was odd was that it started off as some sort of scary horror flick where the crazy trucker has evil intentions and the baby is some kind of doom weapon, to an action thriller where he's just plain crazy but the nun was able to convince him to help her (presumably the original baby theft was all crazy trucker, in the missing opening scenes), to heartwarming story where we slowly discover that far from being unhinged, the crazy trucker is a genuinely benevolent figure who actually understands what's going on, has given up everything he has to save the baby (including some of his sanity) and deeply cares for the baby who is special in some way but not inherently evil or anything (in the last version, the crazy trucker is the instigator and the nun is instead just helping him).

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Last night, I dreamed I had to create a horror film for some reason, but I didn't know what to write, so I just filled a script with tropes and clichés.

It was like... people were getting killed in a rental house, but in the end it turned out to be the enraged spirit of the owner's twin brother! The owner had killed his brother and assumed his identity, and was using his brother's spirit to murder people because...?

Anyway, all I remember visualizing was a scene where they ripped up the carpets and floorboards and found his brother's skeleton.

fanboymaster

Postby fanboymaster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:20 am

Dreamed I was at some brontokon-esque gathering? Wasn't any place I recognized but a bunch of you nerds were there and no one else so probably. I did... something that offended seemingly everyone but what is a mystery to me. I ended up walking toward home(?) in the dark, got lost, wandered into someone's yard, tripped and fell into dog shit, then was accosted by one of the villains from Resident Evil 7 through the house attached to the yard I had wandered into. My brain really gave it all it had to make sure that nightmare was bad from most every direction is what I'm saying.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 am

I had one of those dreams-after-dreams where you think you've woken up. When I got up, Starr had my computer on and was watching college ball on seven different tabs. When I asked her why the hell she was watching college ball, she replied "So I can troll other schools in the twitch feed".

Moar liek Notre-DUMP, amirite?

Also, I got a phone call from a guy about a phone I was looking at in a store in a dream from the night before.

Brain, please. What.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:19 pm

I think I had a lot of weird stressy dreams last night, but the only one I remember was replaying Metal Gear Rising and getting near the end and noticing an arrow on the side of the codec window, and when I hit right it opened up a page with like ... ten completely new characters to talk to. And realizing I needed to replay the entire game and listen to all these people I'd never even heard of before.

fanboymaster

Postby fanboymaster » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Most of the time it isn't hard to tell where my dreams come from but "Strapped to a stretcher listening to a doctor basically say 'we don't really have time to sedate you so maybe look away while I do this surgery you probably don't want to see your own innards'" is pretty left field. The rest I recall is trying desperately not to look as I was keenly aware someone was messing around in my cut open abdomen

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:19 pm

I was basically dreaming a kid's cartoon, but one of those modern ones with more going on. There was very much a Clone High feel to it and the animation was similar.

It was a future sci-fi sorta of thing. The world was unified under some central government and the main body was made of of senators who represented individual regions. Some of them were also something called a "Letterer" and you had to be a letterer to stand for election as world president.

I don't think the senators were actually changed much, because they all had various means of prolonging their lives and the implication was that they'd all been serving for a long time. Many had been transferred into robot bodies, others were attached to their old bodies and so were really old but with cyborg bits to keep them going, still others had been transferred into other bodies.

The two main characters of the show were a pair of Canadian senators. The straight man was the senator for a combined territory of Ontario and Manitoba and was more or less a normal person (within the bounds of the show's rather wacky definition of "normal", and the Senator for Quebec, who'd once been the stereotypical fat, chain-smoking, hard drinking, bon-vivant type, but who'd been transferred into the body of a rather rotund brown bird, rather like an oversized dove or pigeon crossed with Reginald from Nedroid, and who seemed to be a particularly well-known senator who was one of the few senators who was on close terms with the president.

Can't remember much plot. I know early on, there was a silly scene where the senators felt like they should be seen as doing something positive for humanity, but as a result of bickering they would only allow for a plan that cost no more than seven cents (I got the feeling that for the most part the world was on some kind of autopilot). There was some sort of very silly secret alien robot invasion later.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:20 pm

I dreamed an entire mid-70's movie. Made maybe about... '76-'77, at the height of the CB/trucker craze.

It was sort of a light comedy on the surface, with a fair bit of pathos underneath. This probably took me longer to type up than to dream, and the hardest part was trying to figure out who all the faces I saw in it were. I think I got most of them. I've also probably filled in a few details retroactively to make it all fit together while I was waking up and dimwittedly trying to recall it all (mostly for setting up any Chekhov's gun type stuff so later reveals made sense), but at least 90% of this was formulated while I was completely unconscious.

------------

In an unidentified central-southern state, which could have been anywhere from Tennessee to Lousiana (a great deal of the action takes place on or near country roads, with lots of open farm fields, and roadside canals/ditches), a pair of grifters is barely getting by, living on the outskirts of [city matching whichever state it was].

The older of the two was a sad but affable fellow played by Strother Martin, used to be a banker or accountant, but had at one point tried and failed to become a stage magician. Martin [real creative with the name there, brain] now lived in a seedy rooming house, a number of units of which were also occupied by hookers. There's also an affable drunk "horse doctor" type who serves the underworld.

The younger of the two was a haggard widower named Bill or Buddy or Ned or something [let's go with Ned] played by Tim Conway, lived in a really run-down house (with obligatory junk outside) on some untended farmland outside of town with his only child, a daughter of about 15 or so. He tries his best to keep a former drinking problem at bay, mostly succeeding due to his desperation not to fail his daughter. He also tinkers a bit, mostly with cars, but this is only to pass the time between scams and to keep from getting bored (and thereby relapsing) while his daughter's at school. Lacking family of his own (his wife left him years ago), Martin acts as something of a father figure to Ned and a grandfatherly figure to Ned's daughter.

Shabby and lacking resources, the pair are only successful if they stick to very small-scale scams. They also both have some residual moral code, so they're restricting their targets somewhat.

The earlier scenes were muddled up, including a brief introductory street scam run by Martin out front, while Ned handles some mechanical contrivance. At one point Ned tries to convince his daughter to fish with him, telling her she can use his prize fishing pole, but she refuses. Martin jokes that's no hobby for a little girl, but Ned's daughter protests she just doesn't like fish and thinks catch and is just cruel.

Early on, Ned & Martin have an opportunity to do fleece a little old lady of her life savings. Initially thinking they're scamming a rich old matriarch, they soon realize it's a front she keeps up for appearances and that they'd leave an old lady penniless, and so don't. Afterwards, they're painfully unsure if they did the right thing or not, since they are so desperate, and end up even more depressed. Ned tries to fish but hasn't the heart for it.

After the near miss, they're hassled by a local police detective, played by Tom Skerritt, who always has some heat on them, but sees them as a low priority so he never has a chance to really ride them hard. It's obvious this is a regular annoyance for the heroes.

Somehow, through Martin (I think one of the hookers lets it slip), they find out that a local gang is setting up a big robbery of some sort. The gang is led by a pair of tough crooks, the leader played by John Vernon and the sidekick, played by John Cazale. Meanwhile Ned's sister, a sharp-tongued but well-meaning suburban woman comes and berates Ned, asking him to let Ned's daughter live with her. Ned doesn't want to give up yet, but nearing bottom, he quietly says he'll consider it.

Martin says nothing to Ned at first but quietly sniffs around, and by doing some research, using his old banking knowledge, and finally playing the unsuspecting sidekick for a few missing details in a short scene, Martin is able to deduce that the gang is planning on robbing a big federal gold transfer by train and smuggle it out in a truck belonging to a large local meat packing business nearby, whose trucks the viewer has already seen frequent the area (like an old Chevy C/40 or something, not a full-size semi-trailer, though those drive through the area too). Martin sees a flaw in the plan that would let them steal the gold from the gang and he immediately gets excited, calculating that the theft would be worth more than 20 million dollars (in 1977 this is about a pallet of gold bars 5 or 6 bars deep - I'm amazed I was actually close to historical values!).

Realizing this is pretty much the only chance they'll ever have to score big with a clean conscience, Martin tries to convince Ned to join him in the plan. At first Ned is reluctant, but of course he agrees in the end, and does so firmly, agreeing this is probably their last chance. Martin then explains that he saw the "local guy" in the gang, played by a somewhat clueless Dick Van Patten, bribe an insouciant "buddy" who manages the meat plant's motor pool to "loan" a truck out, so that none are reported as stolen by the company allowing the thieves precious time to escape any dragnets in the area following the heist. He's also figured out that a "maintenance mixup" has been arranged to stop the train so the gang can cut into the guard car from below, under cover of noise. If the pair can distract the gang and swap trucks with them, they can escape with the gold and let the gang take the blame.

Now fully committed, the pair prepare. First Ned poses as a mechanic who's been told to come fix a broken truck. He say the truck needs to be taken in for service as he can't fix the issue at the plant. Balking,the motor pool supervisor says that's got to be cleared, yet Ned doesn't seem to care. Then we see Martin has snuck into the plant disguised as a state inspector in meat packer clothing, so when the supervisor rings the main plant, Martin picks up and poses as an angry manager (floridly angry Strother Martin rants are so, so good) and orders the truck out, allowing them to steal another, identical truck from the meat-packing company, again without it being reported stolen.

When the day of the heist comes, a train yard employee makes sure that the train is directed to a line where heavy track work is underway (the train yard has many concrete surfaces). The guards argue with the train yard employees, while the gang, emerging from a tunnel dug under the tracks and covered over with maintenance boards, drills a small hole in the train car and injects some knockout or poison gas to take out the guards inside the vault car. Then they saw a man-sized hole in the car and climb in in gas masks. While the gang boss coolly poses as a guard to reply to external checks from paranoid guards outside, the rest of the gang, directed by the sidekick, quickly heave out the reinforced gold boxes and place them inside meat company boxes on small carts. They quickly transfer the boxes full of gold to their truck, parked at the edge of the rail yard in a receiving area. Since the locked-in "inside guards" are supposed to be the ones in charge, the train guards ask the gang boss to radio HQ about the delay and to ask for orders, which he pretends to do.

While this is going on, we see our heroes watching everything through binoculars from the top of a large storage building (there are many around the train yard). As soon as the gang's truck is packed, the pair put their plan in motion. Martin once again plays an angry supervisor, yelling at the gang guards about the truck being in the wrong place. The sidekick, who's in charge of the truck, wonders with frustration if he should shoot Martin, but the local guy, reminds him they can't raise the alarm. Martin drags them off to the office just round a corner to sort out the "problem". Unsure of what's going on, the rest of the gang stay hidden in the building where their tunnel exits and wait for their boss, while Ned quickly switches trucks out of sight of everyone (there should be a window in the door to the building, but our heroes have made sure it's covered and the noise of construction and the train yard cover the sound of the truck).

The gang boss tells the train guards about the "stupid mixup" but says it looks like a legit mistake and tells them to carefully back up and proceed the way the train was originally supposed to go. After a final guard check-in, the gang boss and one remaining henchman escape, covering the hole, after which the train moves out again, back the way it came. The boss comes out of the tunnel demanding to know what's going on. When the gang tells him, he bursts out the door, but "their" truck is there. Suspicious, he quickly opens the back door, but sees the same meat company boxes, then shuts both box and truck door. Then the gang boss, the sidekick, and the local guy get in the truck (local guy is awkwardly stuffed in the middle of course) and the rest of the gang gets in the back of the truck. As they drive off, the camera pans to show first the moving train, and then the grifters driving out of the other end of the train yard.

The first stop for Ned & Martin is Ned's home, where they transfer the gold to a false floor in a big van Ned's been working on "repairing" and reinforcing. The back is also filled with whatever personal items Martin & Ned cared to take with them. At this point they need to get rid of the meat plant truck and pick up Ned's daughter. They split up, with Martin putting on the meat plant driver's coverall that Ned had been wearing (which is too tall and skinny for him) so he can take the empty meat truck to be disposed of in a local reservoir while Ned takes the van to pick up his daughter from school.

Back on the train, a little over an hour after the theft and concerned at the lack of check-in from the train, the bank HQ radios the vault car but receives no reply. They try unsuccessfully a few times, then try instead to contact the sergeant of the guards outside the vault car. The sergeant replies immediately and in the process mentions their previous "check-in" during the delay. HQ is now concerned and immediately orders the train be stopped in the next town, ten minutes away.

At this point the crooks are trying to get out of state, but one of the gang members sees some gravel on the floor after they go over a rail crossing and realizes the boxes are all full of rocks and cement blocks. Pounding on the wall for the truck to stop, the boss pulls over. As soon as he does a crook runs out and tells the boss the boxes are all full of rocks. The crooks all begin to accuse each other of betrayal, until the gang boss shouts them down (puling his gun out helps too). The boss quickly zeroes in on the moment the truck was unseen and it's at this point that the sidekick realizes he should have recognized Martin from their meeting early in the film. With that as a lead, the gang turns around hard.

The train has been stopped and a large number of state police show up, headed by a trooper played by Ned Beatty. Over a secure phone landline, the bank HQ gives the sergeant an override code to enter the vault car and they find the knocked out (dead?) guards, hole in the floor, and an obvious lack of gold. An absolute uproar results with state troopers rushing around, sirens blazing. Police are then shown setting up checkpoints all over the county. State trooper contacts the city police who also cooperate, and the detective starts drawing up suspects to ask, among them the grifters, who he doesn't think are the robbers, but figures they might know something.

A brief scene takes place here where Ned tries to pick up his daughter from school without seeming too frantic.

The gang has now separated into several cars with 2-3 people each, while the boss and local guy stay in the truck. They drive around, passing police checkpoints in the process. Then the henchman and two goons see a meat truck going the other way and one recognizes Martin. Rapidly u-turning, they follow Martin until they see him stop at the reservoir, which is actually quite low and surrounded by a significant cliff (probably more an abandoned quarry than a reservoir). Before he can ditch the truck, he sees he's being followed. Martin tries to run but is shot in the back by a henchman. Writhing in considerable pain, they hang him up by the collar of his coveralls on one of the chain-link fences near the reservoir and demand to know who his accomplices are. Martin refuses at first, but as the crooks poke and torment him, he realizes local guy isn't there and "admits" he's the connection. The crooks argue if he's telling the truth, but realize that either way it wasn't local guy who moved the truck, so they continue to try and wring answers out of Martin.

The detective is shown at Martin's apartment and is told Martin seems to be gone. Suddenly he gets a lot more suspicious and rushes out to head out to Ned's house.

Ned, having picked up his increasingly confused daughter, is on his way to the reservoir to get Martin when he sees the truck still parked with another car nearby. Pausing at the side of the road, he uses the binoculars and sees what's happening. Telling his daughter to get in the back and to duck down, he too ducks as low as he can, slams on the gas, and tears into the reservoir through a section of fence. The crooks scatter and the sidekick tries to fire at the van but misses. Ned catches one of the crooks, smashing him into the reservoir then wheels around trying to catch the others, who frantically try to get behind their car while Ned barely misses them several times. The other crook finally pulls a gun from the car but Ned takes that moment to ram him between the van and the car, crushing him dead. The sidekick smiles, his pistol aimed straight for Ned, and orders him to get out of the car.

Cutting back to the detective, we see him at Ned's house and finds no one home and traces of a hurried move. His suspicions now fully inflamed, he rushes back to the station.

The crooks have met up again, wondering where the sidekick and the two goons with him went. Worried they might have been betrayed, the boss radios the henchman's car by using the meat truck's CB, whereupon the henchman tells him to get out to the reservoir. As the camera pulls back, we can see Ned's being forced to offload gold back from the false bottom of the wrecked van back to the meat plant truck. Ned's daughter remains out of sight. Ned struggles to move all the gold solo, and the sidekick doesn't want to put his gun down, so he orders Ned to move faster. Martin, now propped sitting against the fence, moans gently. With a sinister gleam, the sidekick orders Martin to help Ned. Ned protests, while Martin just moans.

At that moment, Ned's daughter who has now figured out what happened, casts her dad's fishing rod to snag the sidekick's gun arm from behind, but misses and instead catches his nose, and as the sidekick shrieks in pain, Ned decks him. Still standing, sidekick tries to hold on to his gun but can't shoot straight with the hook in his nose being yanked. He fires three times wildly missing each shot, then clicks on an empty magazine. Finally, Ned wallops him with a massive roundhouse and while he's dazed, yells at his daughter to let go the fishing rod, and kicks the sidekick into the reservoir, pole and all.

Exhausted and wheezing, Ned stares first at the corpse of the sidekick down below then to the crushed henchman and apologizes to his daughter, telling her he should never have brought her into this, that he's going to send her to live with her aunt. She refuses, however telling him that he's her dad, that after giving up everything to try and succeed he can't give up now, and there's no way she's leaving him. Ned tries to refuse but she tells him this is no time to argue and practically orders him to come help pull Martin into the back of the truck. Martin, still wincing in pain, tells them to leave him there against the fence and get away. He claims he's done for and that he too is sorry they mixed Ned's daughter up in their rotten business. They both refuse to leave him and carry him over to the truck, and Ned tries to make hid friend comfortable on a tarp. Then Martin tells them that if they're going to hang around for the likes of him, then they should at least get the rest of the gold, dammit. Ned tries to tell him that they have about 11 million worth in the truck already and to forget it, that they have more than enough. At that moment his daughter dumps another box of gold in the back beside them and corrects Ned by saying "12 and a half million. Let's go." Telling her to stay with Martin and to keep him talking, he shuts the back of the truck and drives off.

No more than a minute later, the rest of the gang pulls into the reservoir, stunned at the scene and noticing a meat truck driving off at top speed. The boss asks them if all the gold's there, and the first henchman to see the gold boxes at the van tells them there's only about a third of it. Pistol in hand, the boss pounds the roof of a car and hops back into their own meat truck, ordering the local guy in as well. As he peels out in pursuit of Ned & Martin's truck, the boss yells at the henchmen to load the gold in their cars. The boss floors the meat truck and it roars down the straight country road after the dust cloud in the distance, towards some curved roads heading away from farmland and into forested low hills.

As he gains on Ned & Martin's meat truck, the crooks' truck goes wildly around some curves, barely staying on the road and narrowly missing a handful of other cars. As the boss finally catches up with Ned & Martin's truck he pulls out his gun again. He first tries to shove the other truck off the road from behind, then hands the gun to local guy as he pulls up alongside, dodging a car as he does. Local guy yells at the truck to pull over, but as he does, we see that the terrified chattering driver isn't Ned but a regular meat plant employee driving yet another truck.

Back at his police station, the detective is looking over reports on Ned & Martin and figures out that they were going to scam the old lady earlier on, but didn't. Lost in thought, just then the phone rings and a muffled voice tells him he should check the old reservoir. He quickly gets up and calls the state trooper, telling him about the tip he just got.

The next shot shows Ned at a country gas station hanging up a payphone, the sun beginning to set. He then goes back to the truck, where the "horse doctor" is examining Martin. The doc tells Ned tells them the bullet hit a rib so Martin should actually be alright, joking that they're big babies for calling him for something so "minor". As he begins patching up Martin, Ned is grateful the doc was able to make it here so quickly, and the doc replies that that's why he keeps his CB on after all.

The crooks at the reservoir have finished loading their cars and are waiting for the boss, who comes back then and tells them they need to get out, now. Unfortunately for them, that's when a horde of cops arrive, led by the grinning state trooper; caught, the crooks are forced to meekly put their hands up. A deputy confirms he's found some stolen gold, but not all of it.

The next morning, Ned opens the truck's back door and hops in. The doc gives Ned and his daughter instructions for changing Ned's and says Ned'd better get moving. Thanking him, Ned hands him a pair of gold bars in payment. Winking, the rednosed old sawbones gives them a wheezy chuckle, packs up the bars in his medical bag and heads back to his car. Ned gets back in the truck and drives off much more calmly, with his daughter and Martin again in the back.

Finally, we see the detective at a checkpoint as the police continue to search for accomplices, when Ned pulls up in the meat plant truck, they recognize each other and the detective asks him what he's doing. Ned tells him he's got a steady job now, driving for the meat company. Narrowing his eyes, the detective asks him to hold on, while he radios in a phone call, asking the station to call the meat plant and ask them if they're missing any trucks. After a tense minute, a reply comes in that no trucks are unaccounted for at the meat plant. A trooper asks the detective if he wants them to search the truck, but the detective says no, that Ned's free to go. Ned thanks him, replying "Don't worry detective, Martin and I are on the straight and narrow. I promise you you won't have any trouble from us again." and drives off, the camera receding skyward.

------------

I'm actually genuinely sad this movie doesn't really exist.

Also this was only one of three dreams I remembered from last night! The others were incomplete and fragmented though. One about a motorbike-riding assassin which was very VERY 80's, and then I think one of those dreams where I'm taking university classes again but can't bother to go to class (variations on that last one are a semi-frequent dream).

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I think you might have spent more time typing that than I did sleeping.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I kind of figured no one would even read it (tl; dr), but I became a sort of unstoppable thing at some point, like I wanted to see if I could really put it all down and it didn't matter if anyone actually saw it or not.

Of course a lot of it was lost in text, because so much of what made me enjoy it were things like facial expressions or tones of voice, which would of course show up in a movie (or dream), but would have easily quadrupled the length of text I would have had to type and wouldn't really do what I saw justice anyway.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm

I dreamt that, for whatever reason, I was a congressperson. Federal or state was not made clear.

But I had to filibuster. For some reason, also not made clear. But it was my job.

So I took the floor and basically went "All right, since I've got your attention anyway, let me go ahead and clear a couple things up"

and went into a lecture of grade-school level, fundamental science.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 pm

The American Dream!