Re: In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 pm

So, Rimmer in Better Than Life?

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:00 pm

[09:36] <leeham> Brentai I had a dream about you last night :3
[09:37] <Brentai> Wuh oh
[09:37] <leeham> we were in some sort of... hotel room? in like Seattle I guess?
[09:37] <leeham> but they got CBC on the TV and I was trying to explain, as a Canadian, who or what "Captain Falcom" was
[09:38] <leeham> despite the fact that it was just something my dumb dream brain made up on the spot
[09:38] <leeham> and I still don't know what I was talking about
[09:38] <Brentai> Oh man I really want to know who or what Captain Falcom is.
[09:38] <leeham> I think it was something to do with radio dispatches during WW2
[09:39] <Brentai> That's less exciting than I thought it would be.
[09:40] <Brentai> I was thinking of a dude who could Falcon you by bumping into you.
[09:41] <Brentai> Every time he shows up the villains are like, It's Captain Falcom! Don't let him catch you on a crowded subway!
[09:41] <leeham> basically the gist was that we were both just trying to one-up each other's cynical takes on the Canadian news
[09:41] <Brentai> Huh.
[09:43] <leeham> there was some kind of secret Nazi espionage stuff going on and then at some point it turned into one of those really bad 90s Pulp Fiction ripoffs where everyone ends up in a Mexican standoff at the end
[09:43] <leeham> but our job was just to be snarky about all of it
[09:44] <leeham> until the end when I wandered on stage during a Golden Girls reunion event having to pee real bad
[09:44] <leeham> in conclusion, dreams are dumb

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 am

I dreamed that Buge was sculpting a large army for some tabletop wargame from scratch, using greenstuff, etc.

Only the whole army was Gumbys. I mean they weapons and maybe a little gear, but no uniforms or anything. Obviously the mounted units were on Pokeys. The funny part was that they were all sculpted really badly, like a 3D version of a kid's crude crayon drawing of Gumby, Pokey, and various weapons.

(Sorry Buge! Blame my subconscious! I swear the hood you sculpted the other day really is fine and really did look good!).

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 am

Almost forgot this one.

Among many other strange dreams last night/this past morning, I dreamed that Starr was a cybernetic pirate with teal hair and a red eyepatch.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 am

Almost sounds like a Santa Ana resident on a festive weekend. And I dunno, a tabletop Gumby army sounds kind of rad. Silly as hell, yeah, but also rad.

Not much detail to report, but I was briefly lucid about a half hour or so ago.

It started out downright ordinary. Wandering around town. Seeing someone struggling with a stroller and remember those first days of parenting. Wandering into the wrong part of a parking garage and getting yelled at by the attendant.

Even the trigger was pretty ordinary. I was walking to my car, but I had to run back to the garage and get something. I distinctly remember thinking "This is all so dull... wait, what is all so dull exactly? Is this a dream? This is a dream. I need to fly before I wake up." And with that, I vaulted off the roof of my car and flew straight up. Not the usual moonjumping I manage in dreams, but real Superman flight. That was actually something of an achievement right there; the past few times I've been lucid, I felt I had to clutch some unseen totem just to hover a couple feet.

It was brief, but wondrous. Going high enough to see the curve of the earth, watching my feet dangle below. Plunging back down to just a few meters up. Just spinning around in the trees of Gum Grove. And every time it felt like flight; the breeze whipped past me, my hair trailed in my face, and it even looked 3-dimensional.

Sure made up for the bullshit anxiety, kidnapping, bizarrchitecture bullshit from earlier in the night.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am

One of the times I woke up last night, the sentence that floated up with me was, "Trump thinks he can control the Zerg...."

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 am

I'm more worried about the Chaos Emeralds.

atog

Postby atog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm

I was riding around in a basket bicycle made of some kind of split green wood or something else incredibly springy, but light and dry. The wheels were like 10 feet tall and thin as hula hoops. I raced over the rocky, clayey ground, ignoring potholes, stumps, and prairie dog hills as the suspension carried me in a cloud. Plunged into a cornfield, rode above the waving stalks and bowing ears, then heard a siren.

Being a law-abiding crazy wicker bicyclist that I am, I dismounted outside the field and waited to talk my way out of a ticket. My legs felt wobbly and the sun beat down on my skull. No cop car appeared, but I walked the now-very-unwieldy prairiecycle to the side of the road. Could I ride it on the road? A tractor seemingly zoomed by. Nope, I would get run over. As it got dark, all the houses I passed were clearly abandoned and haunted, there were more scarecrows, and it slowly became KOTH Harvest, but with lots of mosquitoes and cicadas.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Longdream #1

I take the job of Mayor of Hong Kong in 1978 and have to set up a quiet deal with the biggest Triad gang in order to end an incredibly violent gang war, which has taken out the last three mayors and a number of city officials among the various incidental civilian casualties (I get the job because no one else wants it, obv). NB: In the dream I'm some middle-aged local Cantonese mid-level city bureaucrat, not "me", me.

Longdream #2

I am a Turkish pirate in the 17th century raiding Greek islands and taking hostages to hold for ransom. This was an incredibly pretty dream. All sunny deep blue skies and green and colourful islands, bright white Mediterranean houses with vivid blue painted roofs, partying around fires on beaches at night.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm

I was a cast member of a movie or TV show in which Trump had insisted he have an appearance. I kept trying to figure out a way I could either pee on him, throw pee on him (JAR-ATE!), or at least get pee on him somehow while evading the barrel-bottom (but still effective) Secret Service men sent to protect him.

Up close, Trump had all these festering skin sores and boils, including two big ones on the end of his nose.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 am

I dreamt again about being horrifically abused while thousands of people could see but did nothing. At least I'm fighting back now.

I remember details but they're too upsetting. It's a really weird feeling to wake up while I've been screaming and crying to find that I'm still and awake, but I can still hear my own voice ringing in my ears.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm

I had one of my most vivid dreams in a long time. It was a trailer for an animated movie. I wasn't sure if it was a Disney movie or not, but it perfectly matched the classic scratchy, gangly style from Disney's Anglophile era (101 Dalmations, The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book), which is probably my all-time favourite animation style.

The movie was simply called "Roderick" and was largely about the titular character, who appeared to be living in London in the 50's or 60's. He pretty much looked exactly like Jasper from 101 Dalmatians (even the yellow turtleneck, and ESPECIALLY the nose):

only with no coat, a red scarf, and one of those horrible rakish RAF moustaches.

It seemed like the story was that Roderick was the last of a line of [somethings] with (magical?) powers, a dissolute heir of a long-dwindling line and something of a lazy schemer. He seems to have been reduced to driving a Black Cab, but rarely did any actual work and instead resorted to petty theft to stay afloat.

One scene showed a middle-aged lady passenger berating him for stopping mid-ride, while two bears in flat caps that no one but Roderick can see pile out of the cab's back seat, waltz into a local bank, and come back out after a minute or so with sacks of presumably stolen cash (I think later it shows the bears screwed up and Roderick only nets a couple dozen pounds from this). Other brief scenes showed him driving like mad, standing on a street and looking up in horror at something casting an enormous shadow, and a row of tall Victorian commercial buildings collapsing into rubble before reassembling themselves into similar, but shorter Victorian buildings, only they weren't so much collapsing into dust as they were carefully but extremely rapidly disassembling, brick by brick, each individual part remaining intact.

The implication of those and various other scenes was that he had to somehow become an actual competent (wizard?) in order to save the city. One of the things I liked is that he really is presented not only as as a selfish clueless scumbag, but also a rather sad, ordinary person with only minor talents which he mostly uses to avoid work. It didn't seem he was going to grow as a character because of traditional Disney tropes like the love of someone else, but because he actually rises to adversity. In spite of the old "last of a long line" trope, he's much closer to an everyman than anything special. Kind of a hobbit thing, you know? A sleazebag turned good is always great to watch when done well.

Anyway, that was all I got to see. I almost hate these dreams, because these this moment of enormous excitement where I'm just so jazzed to go see this thing, only for me to wake up and realize I never will, they never existed and never will.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 am

Why don't you make it?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm

For the same reason I gave up doing comics - I simply work too slow to turn out longform anything.

It's possible I may eventually turn some of these into books though.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:00 am

My significant's had a sequence of dreams where Marvel are promoting the Deadpool sequel with a Strongbad style daily interactive flash advent calendar. She keeps trying to check on it and getting angry with the inferiority of the waking internet.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 pm

So for a little less than two weeks now I've returned to the really vivid dreaming I was getting last year, which funny enough seems to be because I started taking Vitamin D of all frikkin' things (I guess this is a good thing?).

Among a wide variety of long and complex dreams last night (including a pile of cool alternate Star Wars prequels, which were mostly about the early adventures of Obi Wan or alternate ways Luke left home), I dreamed about a french comic done in a beautiful painted style that was sort of a cross between Mort Drucker paintings and Moebius (there are actually European comics artists who really do have a style like this). The story had these really cool long panels that used the space well and the artist was also really good at implying motion, in a Wile E Coyote sort of way.

The story was about a minor demon called Loos, who lived among us disguised as a human to help carry out various demonic plots in the earthly world. Only he was so mind-numbingly stupid and incompetent that he would fuck up any plan his bosses set up. Eventually, tired of being berated, he decides to do good out of sheer spite, and actually sort of manages it, but still screws things up in hilarious ways that still end up getting him beaten or yelled at (usually by a victim of his previous works instead of a boss demon, so now he just stoically takes it).

I particularly remember one sequence where he's supposed to make sure an Antichrist hatches out of some space-pod on the roof of a skyscraper, only to pull him out at the wrong time (the timer was supposed to read 9:99), so instead he gets this goofy savant-baby who speaks in mathematics equations. Since he'd annoyed the French mafia previously, Loos (being a true master of disguise) had disguised his truck (a Citroen 2CV Fourgonnette van) as a spaceship, with a giant cardboard missile mounted on top and the whole things crudely repainted white with red stripes. Of course since his truck was now so well disguised, he needed a way to find it again, so he had painted his shoes to match the truck and left them on the roof pointing in the direction of his truck, while he ran around trying to access the pod and run off with the baby barefoot.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm

<@Friday> So
<@Friday> I just woke up from a dream in which I was playing the old X-men arcade cabinet
<@Friday> you know, X-x-x-x-x-xmen
<@Friday> and it was pretty standard beat em up stuff but then I got to level five, playing as Psylocke
<@Friday> and I had to infiltrate this base, and there was a panel with a hacking minigame
<@Friday> so I click it and the screen zooms in on Psylocke and the panel
<@Friday> but she just turns to the camera and says WHERE ARE MY BREASTS
<@Friday> and i'm like
<@Friday> ON YOUR TORSO?
<@Friday> and she just keeps asking WHERE ARE MY BREASTS in an increasingly angry tone
<@Friday> WHERE ARE MY BREASTS
<@Friday> and I'm furiously typing as a timer ticks down
<@Friday> RIGHT THERE?
<@Friday> BEHIND YOUR NIPPLES?
<@Friday> and then the timer runs out and I wake up
<@Friday> shaking my head like jeez, lady
ImageImageImage

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:19 am

I noticed last night that I was dreaming, and I was going to ignore it and keep doing the dream but then I remembered Yoji's post and decided to start flying instead. (I was half surprised when it worked.) I was inside a building and stayed there, but zoomed around for a while anyway.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm

I dreamed a pretty ordinary YA-novel sort of story about rebellious kids with secret powers fighting an evil corporation.

Only the evil corporation was Dollarama.

They had Dollarama black helicopters (actually bright white with the Dollarama logo), sinister surveillance cube vans (again bright white with the Dollarama logo), special ops teams (okay these guys wore regular suits), and so on.

Then it turned into a giant fighting mecha anime and I complained to Starr that "This series was way better before the mecha stuff started."