Oh those pet peeves

Silversong

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Silversong » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:35 pm

Oh nooooo. I'm driving to Toledo for it, so far it still promises to be partly cloudy.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 pm

Was playing Baldur's Gate 3, and fighting one of the Myconid, a race of mushroom people. Went to use a mind control spell on them, but told I was unable to because they are "plants"

0/10, uninstalled immediately and am wondering if I can get a refund on a game I've played 170 hours of
signature

atog

Postby atog » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Was playing Baldur's Gate 3, and fighting one of the Myconid, a race of mushroom people. Went to use a mind control spell on them, but told I was unable to because they are "plants"

0/10, uninstalled immediately and am wondering if I can get a refund on a game I've played 170 hours of

"That's no fun, guys. I want a refund"
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 pm

Consider that real-world mushrooms are masses of hyphae that exist underground or weaving their way through the matter they're absorbing nutrients from, and that the structure we think of as a "mushroom" is just the fruiting body growing from that fungal mass. Myconids are basically just big ol' penises that have decided to get up and walk around on their own. And I mean, you're tellin' me at this point your biggest problem with them is that they have the "Plant" creature type?

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

Fungi don't have their own kingdom just to be called plants
signature

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

Where exactly does the Drow breast milk fit in?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 04, 2024 7:18 pm

Look, I get it, having the urinal be a beer keg with a section cut out of it is all clever and bougie and shit. Sure. But my dudes, I would really prefer not to wonder if I'll get Tetanus on my dick if I happen to brush against those nasty-looking rusty-ass edges.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat May 04, 2024 9:26 pm

I'm wondering if this belongs in Unforgivable Sins of UI Design instead, but yikes all the same.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat May 04, 2024 9:47 pm

Yoji wrote:I'm wondering if this belongs in Unforgivable Sins of UTI Design instead, but yikes all the same.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 04, 2024 10:13 pm

Was playing Baldur's Gate 3, and fighting one of the Myconid

Ages ago (god I'm old) I had my PCs go into the Underdark and encounter the Myconid. This was in like 2002 or something. None of them knew what the fuck a Myconid was, at all. I described them in detail and talked about how they had humanoids infected with spores as their worker slaves. The PCs saw "ugly race, keeps slaves" and decided they were evil monsters and attacked.

Long story short, after the King subdued them and spored them and talked to them, they were forced to work for the colony to make up for the damage they caused, for no pay or reward. So now there's a long running meme in the group of "don't attack Myconids."

So my PCs didn't really get that I didn't make these guys up and was just doing them wholesale as written in the Monster Manual. So when they played BG3 they all FLIPPED OUT when they got to the Myconid circle. Several of them have approached me flabbergasted and informed me that BG3 was "totally ripping you off". Oh yeah? Wait till you hear about my idea for a race of proto-humans who live on the astral plane and hate the Illithid! Oh, and their goddess Queen? Not really a goddess, and she eats them when they get high enough level to fuel her immortality and grow her power!

Honestly I'm a bit surprised how little the Myconid have changed since 2nd edition. I've never interacted with 5th edition rules before, so it was a bit weird to see how my beloved mushroom guys were basically still just livin' underground, doing what they do.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 04, 2024 10:17 pm

Headcanon: Warhammer 40k Orks were just a really aggressive Myconid circle that went into space
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 05, 2024 12:56 am

Friday wrote:Headcanon: Warhammer 40k Orks were just a really aggressive Myconid circle that went into space

IIRC, they are canonically a fungus which spreads via sporulation.