KingRoyal

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 pm

Are you unable to go online there?
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:41 am

They sent me some mail and then I went to their website but I couldn't get my account to work so now I'm going to have to call them on the phone.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:29 am

"Sign up at callusonthephone.metlife.com"

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:12 pm

The person on the phone confirmed that I could just use the paper checks they mailed to me, so I wrote one of those out and then opened up my banking app to take a picture of it so I could deposit it and I'm becoming concerned that I'm not a character in a Douglas Adams novel, I'm a character in a Douglas Adams text adventure.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:15 pm

Opened up a new tab in Firefox and noticed that in addition to my frequently visited sites, there was an option for Amazon and Rakuten that are "Sponsored"

Any good Firefox alternatives these days?
signature

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:25 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Opened up a new tab in Firefox and noticed that in addition to my frequently visited sites, there was an option for Amazon and Rakuten that are "Sponsored"

I'm on Waterfox, per Brent's suggestion a while back, though I'm still open to trying other browsers, since in some ways it's a bit too much like Firefox to my liking - but at least it's like, particular UI stuff, not blatant corporate harassment.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:35 pm

You can turn off the "sponsored" links in settings. Much as you can change your default search engine away from Google (which is also a sponsorship deal).

As far as using another browser entirely, I haven't really found one I like better than Firefox, as much as it can annoy me at times.

sei

Postby sei » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:16 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Opened up a new tab in Firefox and noticed that in addition to my frequently visited sites, there was an option for Amazon and Rakuten that are "Sponsored"

What Thad said about sponsored link toggle in Pocket or turning Pocket homepage integration off entirely, but also LibreWolf is a similar option to Waterfox.

Or for a more privacy-centric Chrome, there's unGoogled Chromium and Iridium, but the latter may be slower to update.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:08 pm

I really wish developers would implement either Toggle Run or Press to Walk instead of Press to Run. Unless it's a stealth game, there is rarely a reason to not go full speed and if the only way to do that is to hold down a button it gets tiring
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:05 pm

KingRoyal wrote:I really wish developers would implement either Toggle Run or Press to Walk instead of Press to Run. Unless it's a stealth game, there is rarely a reason to not go full speed and if the only way to do that is to hold down a button it gets tiring

Literally just bitched about this last week on the 7 Days 2 Die forums.

But then someone made a mod for it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:27 am

KingRoyal wrote:I really wish developers would implement either Toggle Run or Press to Walk instead of Press to Run. Unless it's a stealth game, there is rarely a reason to not go full speed and if the only way to do that is to hold down a button it gets tiring

The new Switch version of Mario RPG defaults to hold-to-walk and maps it to R.

This is objectively correct for a 3/4 top-down RPG, but it feels wrong for a Mario game (and I keep bringing up the Abilities menu when I reflexively hit Y to run).

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:57 pm

god dammit how is windows search still so fucking bad

y'all motherfuckers don't need to add ai to this to make it better, you just need to make it actually show files that exist when i search for them

honest to fuck this shit worked better before they added the index, when it still individually scanned every single fucking file to look for results

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:00 pm

Thad wrote:god dammit how is windows search still so fucking bad

y'all motherfuckers don't need to add ai to this to make it better, you just need to make it actually show files that exist when i search for them

honest to fuck this shit worked better before they added the index, when it still individually scanned every single fucking file to look for results

Oh god, don't fucking get me started on this...

Fucking Windows, man.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:41 pm

So, I know I am 100% doing this to myself by reading the comments, but still.

When I'll watch a romcom anime about high schoolers and the comments are like, super incredibly critical of their behavior. "She should have just said such and such, she had the gall to etc, he's such an etc". You are demanding a level of emotional maturity and experience that no teenager has or has ever had in the entire history of humankind, ever. These are teens, they're going to do stupid shit. Also, this is a romcom, you signed up for misunderstandings and drama so that the anime could go on for a whole season (or more) before they grow as characters and admit they have feelings for each other and hold hands or whatever. Yes, dating at age 35+ is (sometimes) different as the people will just be honest and say what they want immediately and then amicably give it a shot or not, depending on compatibility. Teens are not like that, and never will be like that, and complaining about it in the comments section of crunchyroll and youtube is stupid.

(But not as stupid as me reading those comment sections.)
ImageImageImage

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:12 am

To be fair, I made those sorts of comments when I was a teen, myself. (And then also badly bungled those same situations in real life for some years to come).
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:37 am

I can generally tell the difference between a teenager's comment and an adult's comment (HOW CAN YOU TELL I'M 13 JUST BY HOW I WRITE??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?111111) and yeah I give obvious teen comments a pass, because, you know, I give teens a pass generally.

But then I'll run into a comment that's spelled correctly with capitalization and punctuation and just, I don't know. Worded in a way that would be incredibly unlikely to come from the mind of a 15 year old. As always with online shit you can never be 100% sure, but like, you can be 98% sure.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:51 pm

So... like... when did the entire internet forget how to take desktop screenshots?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:54 pm

I can't hold the power and volume button down at the same time on my laptop, it powers down!

sei

Postby sei » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:59 pm

Thad wrote:god dammit how is windows search still so fucking bad

A friend introduced me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_(software) and it's pretty good as a file finder.

When it comes to launching programs, I'm not sure how I feel about the Run powertoy by comparison but the UX is nicer than like flicking the Windows button and waiting for the start menu to find the right thing... when it works, I guess.

Most reliable method, which takes some time up front per program, is making a shortcut folder and then adding it to the path, so you can win+R, type a few keys, and hit enter to launch the program you want quickly.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:30 pm

I'm living in the path of totality so of course next Monday is predicted to be all day rain storms
signature