Oh those pet peeves

Thad

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:28 am

(I'm not gonna lie: the part I'm really mad about is that I was three cars back and so not in a good position to lay on the horn or lean out my window and tell him to go fuck himself, and nobody in front of me took the initiative.)

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 am

There are times when an infrasound horn capable of targeting a position fifty feet away would be the greatest invention ever.

... maybe that wouldn't combine well with private firearms.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:31 pm

When the light turns yellow at that exact spacing when you're going 30-40 mph so that your brain panics and dumps a bunch of adrenaline into your system and you have two choices:

1. Maintain speed/accelerate and go through the intersection mostly okay but clip the red halfway through, and feel like a jackass
2. Slam on your brakes, causing everything in your car (including you) to go flying forward, and feel like a jackass
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 am

That's even more fun on a motorbike.

I can slow down pretty quickly, but then I get to worry about getting rear-ended, which means not getting rear ended, but getting run the fuck over. I am rarely the last guy through those yellows... too often there's some idiot that's going to chance going through halfway into the double-red.

Or I can accelerate fast enough to avoid clipping red entirely or just getting a hair of it, but then I have to suffer through several blocks of raging paranoia about a cop pulling me over and running me up for speeding and running a red anyway just because hey these bikers think they can go fast eh? Plus in that case I also gotta judge if any potential left turning idiots are going to do so that much faster, since Toronto traffic means the only way people can turn left in many places is doing so on the double-red between lights.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 am

Office smells.

What do you do about office smells? You have to work there, you can't escape. But one coworker insists on eating kimchi at her desk, another wears a ton of perfume that sets off your allergies, or else reeks of BO. What can you do?

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:59 am

Chemical warfare via eating Surstromming until they agree to stop being obnoxious?

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:02 am

Grath wrote:Chemical warfare via eating Surstromming until they agree to stop being obnoxious?

I just googled that, and no, I am not enough of a hero. Maybe I'll get some kind of essential oil freshener for my office that doesn't set off my allergies.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Aren't offices typically supposed to be scent-free environments? Maybe talk to HR about that.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:38 pm

They're complying. Due to a typo you are required to provide free scents.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:00 am

I've never heard anyone refer to a scent free or free scent environment, though I suppose any public space rotates between the two.

I have mentally filed people wearing colognes you can smell several feet away in the same category of inconsiderate nuisance as people who blare their car music so you can hear it half a block away.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:09 am

Do we have a self-loathing pet peeves thread anywhere?

When I was younger I tried to have a verbose vocabulary mainly to impress RP nerds who type in paragraphs in MMOs. Lately I've been trying to focus on a more "technical writing" style since I'm mostly writing for work. Then I start with lines like this:

"...that information, as it is their own format and has more room to include that information on the information lines..."

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:36 am

Silversong wrote:I've never heard anyone refer to a scent free or free scent environment, though I suppose any public space rotates between the two.

Well, the Canadian government has guidelines for a scent-free policy in the workplace (and you can even order posters!). I'm not sure what the regulations are for the US or your state, but I think it's worth looking into.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:41 am

Büge wrote:
Silversong wrote:I've never heard anyone refer to a scent free or free scent environment, though I suppose any public space rotates between the two.

Well, the Canadian government has guidelines for a scent-free policy in the workplace (and you can even order posters!). I'm not sure what the regulations are for the US or your state, but I think it's worth looking into.

Looks like fragrance sensitivity is potentially a disability under the ADA, so you may be able to seek "reasonable accommodation", but there's no hard and fast scent-free policy.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 pm

If your coworker's allowed to come in wearing three entire cans of Lynx, you should be allowed to smoke at your desk. Swings and bloody roundabouts, innit.

Actually, you could try sparking a lighter near the offender, perhaps the problem will solve itself.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:40 am

My workplace is pretty good about reasonable accomodations. But my office is also in a school so if a pack of undergrads dipped in Axe (or whatever the kids wear now) wander in there's nothing much to be done. It really doesn't come up much, though. The last smelly-person moved out of my office to a different workspace when I brought up my allergies.

I'm actually kind of curious what exactly in perfumes it is that makes my sinuses go haywire, since I'm fine with my own perfume (by Phlur) and most essential oils. Kind of like how secondhand cigarettes make my sinuses explode but someone with a pipe doesn't affect me at all.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Silversong wrote:My workplace is pretty good about reasonable accomodations. But my office is also in a school so if a pack of undergrads dipped in Axe (or whatever the kids wear now) wander in there's nothing much to be done. It really doesn't come up much, though. The last smelly-person moved out of my office to a different workspace when I brought up my allergies.

I'm actually kind of curious what exactly in perfumes it is that makes my sinuses go haywire, since I'm fine with my own perfume (by Phlur) and most essential oils. Kind of like how secondhand cigarettes make my sinuses explode but someone with a pipe doesn't affect me at all.

Additives. Pipes are generally smoking straight tobacco, where cigarettes have a lot more additives.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Highly paid professionals who provide images as MS Word documents.

Seriously.

Why does this keep happening?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Ask Bob if he thinks it's still 1996.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Silversong wrote:Highly paid professionals who provide images as MS Word documents.

Seriously.

Why does this keep happening?

If the marketing director where I work wants to send you an image, she will insert a screenshot of the image into a Microsoft Publisher document and send you that document.

Not Word. Publisher.

Not the image itself. A screenshot of the image. Often badly cropped. Hope you didn't need it in higher than 96 dpi!

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 am

Mother: hey wanna take a trip with me in two days that will take half a day with three hours of driving
Friday: sure, sounds good
Mother: hey wanna watch a movie with me?
Friday: not right now, I'm playing a game
Mother: YOU NEVER SPEND TIME WITH ME
ImageImageImage