Oh those pet peeves

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:46 pm

I swear to Saint Fuck and the Seven Devlish Dicks that getting what you need out of ebay becomes more and more of a pain in the ass every year.

When the hell is someone finally going to eat their lunch?

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 pm

beatbandito wrote:I'm pretty bad with names in general and tend to use associated terms to refer to things instead of the proper names.

But recently I've picked up the habit of calling legal sized sheets 11x17s even though that is an existing different size of paper, just because our big printer broke years ago and it's become standard for the boss to ask for them and get legal (the biggest we can currently print). And it is actively hampering my ability to communicate.

Very similar to how Starbucks started calling a vanilla-caramel flavored latte a macchiato, even though that was already an existing different espresso drink. Thus causing baristas at real coffee shops to get yelled at by customers who order said drink.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:16 am

Daughter was home for five minutes. Now look, I'm a reasonable person. I understand that life is busy, I'm fine with coming home to some washing up in soak, it's just the one sink, but... Why.

There's plenty of room under there. The bowl is floating. Why.

François

Postby François » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Okay. Okay, okay.

Okay.

Internet.

I like you. Mostly. But we need to have a talk.

A compatriot is someone who is from the same country as you.

Someone who works with you is a colleague.

There. It's not that hard.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:22 pm

THANKS COMRADE ZED
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

but what is a Nakama?

François

Postby François » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm

a miserable little pile of waifus

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Indicating a character is smart by having him rattle off a number to the sixth decimal place.

It's fine to indicate that a character is a robot by doing that. When C-3PO says "Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately three thousand, seven hundred twenty to one!" that's fine, because he is a robot, and calculating probabilities is how AI works.

But people who are smart don't do that. That is not how human beings talk. When human beings rattle off odds like C-3PO, that is not an indication that they are smart. It is not even an indication that they are autistic. It is an indication that they are not real, that they are fictional characters whose dialogue has been written by a hack who does not know how to indicate characters are intelligent except by having them talk like robots.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Thad wrote:Indicating a character is smart by having him rattle off a number to the sixth decimal place.

It's fine to indicate that a character is a robot by doing that. When C-3PO says "Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately three thousand, seven hundred twenty to one!" that's fine, because he is a robot, and calculating probabilities is how AI works.

But people who are smart don't do that. That is not how human beings talk. When human beings rattle off odds like C-3PO, that is not an indication that they are smart. It is not even an indication that they are autistic. It is an indication that they are not real, that they are fictional characters whose dialogue has been written by a hack who does not know how to indicate characters are intelligent except by having them talk like robots.

I would make an exception for Spock, because I see that habit as part of his subconscious desire to appear superior to humans. In the original series, anyway.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Spock's an alien, I assume Vulcans do just talk like that.

He's also probably the reason most of these one-note characters do the same thing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Math/numbers nerds/teachers DO do that sometimes. It's sort of analogous to those folks who, in another field, make sure to use as much opaque jargon as possible.

And that's without getting into the very weird hobby of seeing how far you can memorize Pi, or another unique number (now THAT probably has a high correlation with autism).

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Thad wrote:It's fine to indicate that a character is a robot by doing that. When C-3PO says "Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately three thousand, seven hundred twenty to one!" that's fine, because he is a robot, and calculating probabilities is how AI works.

That's kind of an annoying trope even when robots do it. If I were a super AI, I'd probably cut to the chase for my poor meat-based colleagues, especially if we were in a hurry. I think they did that a couple times in Mass Effect:
Shepard: Your superiors are sending you to certain death for no good reason. You have a right to disobey.
Tali: (aside) Let's remember that the next time Shepard sets us up against impossible odds.
Legion: Current trends average to 2.73 instances per day. Rounded down.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Smart enough to do the math but not smart enough to round sig figs

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Brentai wrote:Spock's an alien, I assume Vulcans do just talk like that.

Only around non-Vulcans.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 am

Yes I know it is 110 degrees out, but it is also monsoon season. Quit leaving your windows cracked.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

"Hi I'd like to buy some pants. They didn't have any in your store and your website has no information."
"Oh we're out of those."
"What... all of them?"
"Yes we have no pants."
"But you're a pants manufacturer."
"We're having a sale."
"Yes, that's why I'd like to buy them now.
"That makes perfect sense, but we have no pants."
"When will you get more pants?"
"I really have no idea. They don't tell us."
"When will the sale end?"
"When we get some pants again."
"That's unfortunate. I have several hundred dollars which I was ready to use to buy your pants."
"Maybe there are some other pants you could get?"
"No, your pants are the best ones to fit my big fat ass."
"I'm terribly sorry, but we simply don't have any pants."
"Well. This was productive."

Paraphrased, of course. Except for the line about my ass.

(No CSRs were harmed in the making of this phone call.)

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 pm

It's great that y'all have the tech to make phone screens that go all the way to the edge, but how the fuck am I supposed to hold this bastard without sending it random ass menu triggers?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 pm

mharr wrote:random ass menu triggers?

The missing hyphen brought this classic to mind:

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 pm

This is an accurate documentary of my experience so far, yes.

In other news, sketchy download sites have taken to spending an hour sending you most of a file, then pointing out that your free bandwidth for the day has been exceeded. You knew how big the file was when we started this dance, you evil shits.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:21 am

Friendly reminder to pedestrians and cyclists:

Traffic signals may have more states than just "go straight" and "do not go straight."

Often, traffic signals include a "turn left" state. Some even include a "turn right" state!

What this means is, when the light for cross traffic turns red, that doesn't mean "go ahead and cross the street now". You should wait for the green light and, if applicable, the walk signal, instead of fucking crossing the street on a red light and cutting off all the cars that are trying to turn, you stupid fucking prick. Fuck you.