Oh those pet peeves

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Oh those pet peeves

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 am

I don't think I'll ever break the instinct of "handle on door = pull, flat plate = push" no matter how many signs a door might have to the contrary. If a door's going to be a push door, put a flat plate on it, dammit.

sei

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby sei » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:50 pm

I find myself constantly swearing as people fail to use their turn signals.

Oh, you were slowing down so you could make a left, while I waited there, wondering whether I could make a left before you changed lanes. Thanks for the lack of advance notice, you fucking retard on wheels. I didn't want to make informed decisions or travel faster, anyway!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm

I like when left-turning assholes do this in the opposing lanes at an intersection. See, drivers in this town are so bad that if someone just stops in the middle of an intersection, they're liable to do anything stupid. So then they belatedly turn on their signals after they see everyone staring at them in total confusion.

Actually, to be honest, I spend a lot of my time driving in this town yelling "What are you DOING?!"

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 pm

My favourite thing is when people park in the middle of a street because they are waiting on someone to come out of a building/are terrible, terrible people. Every time they just threw their car into park instead of hazards or even putting on their turn signal.

And there's always a parking spot just a few spaces from where they are blocking all traffic.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 am

People who slow to a stop BEFORE entering the turning lane should be extinguished and saved BEFORE they're set on fire.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:12 pm

When making a left turn on a street with traffic medians, don't turn immediately (IE, you don't want the nearer median to be on your left). Drive all the way towards the other median. There's more than enough room to fit the whole of most vehicles, so you're less likely to cause congestion behind you and, furthermore, if a car coming the other way is also making a left turn it benefits both you and they in that you're both able to see oncoming traffic.

Very few people know this trick, and it is fucking infuriating.
For the White Witch!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Didn't you make a comic about that once?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 pm

I don't understand why people go to the trouble of picking up their dog's shit in a bag only to throw that bag on the street.

Like, just let the dog shit on someone's lawn or the sidewalk or whatever the hell your dumb ass would have done before the advent of these bags! At least in that case the weather'll take care of faster then the little sealed-for-now shit-landmines they're planting instead. To say nothing of the little plastic fecal kites that remain after they're inevitably stepped in or run over anyway.

I mean, maybe it's a lazy/squeamish thing "Ugh I have a little bag of shit.", but isn't the worst part of that the act of actually picking up the shit in the first place? Hey buddy, you did the hard part, now just follow through to the end! Come on, you can do it!

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:28 pm

I find it annoying that people seem to leave their dog's poop more often in the snow than on the grass.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:42 pm

But it's coooollld

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

Mongrel wrote:I don't understand why people go to the trouble of picking up their dog's shit in a bag only to throw that bag on the street.

Like, just let the dog shit on someone's lawn or the sidewalk or whatever the hell your dumb ass would have done before the advent of these bags! At least in that case the weather'll take care of faster then the little sealed-for-now shit-landmines they're planting instead. To say nothing of the little plastic fecal kites that remain after they're inevitably stepped in or run over anyway.

I mean, maybe it's a lazy/squeamish thing "Ugh I have a little bag of shit.", but isn't the worst part of that the act of actually picking up the shit in the first place? Hey buddy, you did the hard part, now just follow through to the end! Come on, you can do it!

The worst part is the warmth.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:03 am

I always thought it was the smell.
The smell that clings to your every hair and haunts you as you try to shower it off of your body.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:13 am

Classic wrote:I always thought it was the smell.
The smell that clings to your every hair and haunts you as you try to shower it off of your body.

Smell ain't an issue, with bags. But the feeling of warmth in your hand is just ... euuuggggh.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 am

I guess I just get shitty bags.

:whoops:

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:53 am

Well sure, but once it's bagged you can hold the bag by the top. The warmth and texture are an issue during the actual bagging process, but not after.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:25 am

I dunno if this counts as a "pet peeve" but I just realized that I had conflated the "Globe and Mail" with the "Daily Mail". And now I am pretty upset.

François

Postby François » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:43 pm

I've become so used to seeing compliment/complement misused that whenever I see either used correctly I do a double-take.

Kfroog

Postby Kfroog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 am

I'm not sure I've ever seen loath or loathe used correctly on the internet even once.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 am

It'll be okay. Just take a minute to catch you're breathe.

(God that was almost physically painful how do people do it)

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 am

They usually don't; it's almost always the reverse ("breath" for "breathe", "your" for "you're").