Oh those pet peeves

Thad

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Thad » Thu May 26, 2016 12:15 am

sei wrote:(I bet Thad has fun stories about upselling from GoDaddy.)

I do not. I was not in sales, and indeed managed to get through most of my time there without having to talk to any customers -- in fact, I spoke with exactly one in the thirteen months I worked there. Two if you count emails.

sei wrote:Were you blowing lonely grandmas off?

I was not! The only people I spoke to were fucking store managers!

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm

"Okay, DeviantArt. I've been out for a while. Anything new?"
[YOU HAVE FOUR (4) NEW FEEDBACK MESSAGES]
"Hey, nice. I don't normally get much atten- wait, are they all for that crappy shibari tutorial I made like three years ago?"
[YUP! :D ]
"Not for anything cool like those Warcraft tacticool reimaginings? Or that seascape I worked so hard on?"
[NOPE! :D ]
"Not for anything silly and fun like those Munchkin drawings or that abrasive motivational poster?"
[DOUBLE-NOPE! D ]
"Not even for my actual smut like those consentacles?"
[NOPE THE THIRD! :D ]
"And let me guess... all those users have no works of their own and just use their accounts to fav questionable smut?"
[ABSOLUTELY! :D ]
"...I really wonder why I bother sometimes."
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Were those shibari tutorial comments also classic DeviantArt Community quality, or something better?

Getting comments on something you made is basically theeee greatest feeling in the world. I wrote a story a while back and people leaving their thoughts was what kept bringing me back, even if 90% were either "MORE" or a string of emoticons followed by three winky cat faces.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Yeah, the only comments I ever get are on one of the worst things I ever uploaded.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Mothra wrote:Were those shibari tutorial comments also classic DeviantArt Community quality, or something better?

Not even comments, just a notification that some creep liked it. I used to hound people and ask for more feedback than a gap-toothed thumbs-up, but that almost never worked.

François

Postby François » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:26 pm

When you call Nintendo support, their hold music is the Hyrule field theme from Ocarina of Time. "Nice touch, makes sense", I thought to myself. However, every 16 seconds, the music cuts out for a recorded message telling you about the support website or that all their staff are busy, and then the music restarts from the beginning. Iesus Cristo, whose idea was that? They might as well have picked a more appropriate track.

On top of that, sending in an out of warranty Wii U gamepad for repairs costs a cool hundo plus tax (in CAD anyway). Something something Giant's Knife cough cough. I'd tell you to take care of your gamepads but I took care of mine and the left stick still behaves as if there's no X axis dead zone, so [sadtrombone.wav].

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:42 am

I've probably mentioned this one before, but of the many things that annoy me about depictions of deserts in fiction is this: why are people always traveling in the fucking daytime?

If it is 110 degrees out in the daytime, you find shade and wait until it gets dark. Maybe not if you're in seriously rocky terrain where there's a chance of tripping and twisting your ankle in the dark, but if there's nothing but flat ground or sand dunes as far as the eye can see, you travel at night.

I mean, it's okay if the story hook is that you're writing about a bunch of dumbasses who aren't from the desert, are lost/looking for treasure/whatever and lack basic common sense. But if your protagonists are, say, a tribe that is from the desert, they should know to fucking travel at night.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:27 am

I was wondering about that while playing Deserts of Kharak. Our heroes seemed to travel around the clock, but they all had climate-controlled vehicles. That, and the deserts they were driving through had temperatures approaching the boiling point of water, so it was better to sprint for the Anomaly and get back home.

Still, traveling at night seems like the better idea. Less water loss, less chance of encountering snakes, etc. I guess you wouldn't be able to see the actors in a movie as well, even though that never really seems to be a problem.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:22 am

even if 90% were either "MORE" or a string of emoticons followed by three winky cat faces.

first
ImageImageImage

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am

Thad wrote:I've probably mentioned this one before, but of the many things that annoy me about depictions of deserts in fiction is this: why are people always traveling in the fucking daytime?

If it is 110 degrees out in the daytime, you find shade and wait until it gets dark. Maybe not if you're in seriously rocky terrain where there's a chance of tripping and twisting your ankle in the dark, but if there's nothing but flat ground or sand dunes as far as the eye can see, you travel at night.

I mean, it's okay if the story hook is that you're writing about a bunch of dumbasses who aren't from the desert, are lost/looking for treasure/whatever and lack basic common sense. But if your protagonists are, say, a tribe that is from the desert, they should know to fucking travel at night.

On the other side of the coin, I hate how often people in cold climates in cartoons or video games (you see it less in movies that are filmed on location because the actors are human and so they probably complain about dumb clothing choices pretty fast) are wearing big bulky jackets, but aren't wearing hats, facial coverings or gloves. Your extremities get cold before any other part of your body does and if you walk around with a big jacket on and no gloves or scarf on, your fingers and nose are gonna fall off before a person with just a sweater on, but their extremities covered would ever feel cold, especially if they are moving around.

Similarly, I hate people in medieval battles never putting helmets on before they go into battle. We gotta tell who the main characters are. Just give them fancy helmets, people had fancy helmets. Knights were all about heraldry and telling everyone on the battlefield who they were visually so their deeds would be noticed. We gotta see the actor's faces. So give them visors or open face helmets. Lots of people fought with their visor up or removed once engaged in a melee, they needed to breath freely and see shit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:09 am

I think there was a line in the Spiderverse crossover where one of the various parallel versions of Spider-Men talked about meeting a version who wouldn't stop taking his mask off every five minutes.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:09 pm

People who eat lunch foods containing kimchi at their desk, which happens to be near my desk.

Basically everybody who eats lunch at their desk should be limited to dry toast and lavender buds.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:00 pm

What if it's just bacon and egg smell rather than kimchi? 'cause I usually eat breakfast of a bacon-egg-and-cheese sandwich at my desk, but that's usually around 10:00 so most of my coworkers aren't around at that time.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:09 am

Most things smell better than someone else's kimchi. Bacon and eggs sounds pretty inoffensive.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:01 am

I saw a Timeless the other day, where the scary guy from Rittenhouse is threatening Lem from Better Off Ted. Lem says something about Rittenhouse; Rittenhouse guy says "Don't say that name."

Okay.

So why do you refer to your organization by a name that you don't want people to repeat? Why don't you use some other, different name when you are talking to people who aren't members?

Well, the reason is that later in the episode somebody else, in the past, says Rittenhouse's name and it's a big dramatic moment that wouldn't be possible if Rittenhouse were smart enough not to call itself "Rittenhouse" and to cycle through different names every few years. But that's not a very good reason. "Because the plot beat requires that characters behave as if they're stupid" is not a good answer.

Daredevil did this same shit, with all the "Don't say Wilson Fisk's name" rigmarole in the first season.

Oh yes, if only Wilson Fisk had some other name he could use, so that people had some way to refer to him so that the people they were talking to would know who they were talking about, without actually using his name.

I know superhero shows are allergic to supervillain names for some goddamn reason (even Flash, a show which has featured Gorilla Grodd, Weather Wizard, and Captain Cold, felt that Professor Zoom should not be a professor anymore), but "Kingpin" is about the least outlandish supervillain name in the damn Marvel Universe. It's not like he goes around calling himself Paste Pot Pete or Mr. Sinister.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:50 pm

After realizing they literally never say the word "Kingpin" despite hinting at it very heavily I figured they just didn't legally have the right to say Kingpin(R), and the "don't say his name" angle was a bitter joke about it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:28 am

I...can't really see any context in which they'd have the rights to Wilson Fisk but not to calling him Kingpin. I'm gonna have to go with "superhero show is ashamed of being a superhero show."

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:19 am

That would explain why they showed his costume for all of 10 minutes but not why they didn't have him make a crack about it in the mirror and then rip it all off.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:50 pm

I've been on the social committee at work for two years, planning the staff holiday party, and you would not believe how people complain about free food. Two paid hours away from work, at some restaurant, eating free restaurant food, and all we hear is, "I don't like ethnic foods" >_<

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Are they demanding that the kebabs submit themselves to a registry?