Kickstarter and other crowdfunding

Thad

Re: Kickstarter

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:25 pm

The Impact of Iwata looks pretty cool.

Thad

Re: Kickstarter

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:37 pm

Dynamite has a Kickstarter to reprint Gargoyles comics from the '90s and aughts. It's already reached its goal, and given that this is an established comics publisher I think it's safe to assume that if you pledge you'll get your stuff.

3 volumes. Softcovers $35/$35/$25, hardcovers $45/$45/$35, various other fancy-pants options available (but no digital versions).

(And, haha, the description says "two seasons of this incredible unique series was created." You know this was written by a Gargoyles fan because season 3 literally doesn't count.)

I've been meaning to read these since the 2006 series launched (written by Weisman himself); they have a tendency not to stay in print. I'm not sure if the Marvel series has ever been collected; the '06 and '07 series from Slave Labor Graphics have only been collected once each. $95 for the set may seem like a lot, but not compared to what the previous editions go for on eBay.

Now, given that Disney seems to have a renewed interest in Gargoyles all of a sudden, and the new series at Dynamite (also written by Weisman) seems to be selling pretty well, it's possible there will be more printings after this, but I'd approach the Kickstarter with the assumption that it's going to be the last chance you'll have to get these comics legally for awhile.

Thad

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Sky Masters of the Space Force - The Complete Sunday Strips in Color

Re-introducing this Eisner Award-nominated hardcover in a LARGER DELUXE EDITION! This eye-popping book compiles the scarce and out-of-print complete set of Sky Masters of the Space Force Sunday comics from 1959-1960 by Jack Kirby with masterful inking by Wallace Wood, Dick Ayers and Kirby himself.

I was a little iffy on the coloring when I first saw it, but I looked at the higher-res image at full size and I think I'm sold.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:07 pm

Nathan Rabin is writing up Every [SNL] Episode Ever on a new Buttondown newsletter and also has an Indiegogo campaign to make at least two books out of the series, highlighting the 50 best and 50 worst episodes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:32 pm

Rifftrax Kickstarter 2024: Point Break.

I mention this every year, but just to recap: I always pitch $1 in; at some point along the way they always add a bundle of shorts for all backers.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:35 pm

How Comics Were Made is approaching its end (65 hours to go as of this writing) and hasn't quite reached its goal yet (about $20,000 short as of this writing). It looks like an interesting history of the printing process. $25 will get you a PDF and $65 (plus shipping) will get you a paperback.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:56 pm

Who Killed Nessie?
by Paul Cornell & Rachael Smith

Every year, legendary creatures from all over the world gather for an annual convention. But never has there been a murder.

Who Killed Nessie?, a new graphic novel by Paul Cornell, the award-winning comics writer, and Rachael Smith, the award-winning comics writer/artist, is a comedy cryptozoological whodunnit about finding confidence through rationality and accepting a world of mysteries… by solving one.

"It’s like you dreamed up a comic just for me" - JOE HILL (creator of Locke & Key)

$15 will get you a digital copy, $23 will get you the paperback (that's an early-bird price; it'll go up in a couple days).

I love Cornell and I'm happy to see he's doing more creator-owned work. I can't say as I'm familiar with Smith but the cover's got a bit of an Adventure Time vibe and that seems like a good fit for a crypto-creature murder mystery.