Things That Go in Your Mouth

Thad

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:53 am

I've never actually eaten a burger.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat mammals. Birds, fish. Occasionally reptile. I think probably amphibian at one time or another. But no mammal.

Impossible Burgers have started cropping up around town. I've heard mixed reviews on just how much they resemble actual burgers, but consensus is that they're at least closer than previous varieties of veggie burger have been.

I first tried one at a place at the mall called The Thirsty Lion. It was pretty mediocre. I'd have preferred grilled chicken.

But after that I tried one at my usual watering hole, McFate, and I quite liked it. Enough that I've had Impossible Burgers on my last three visits.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 am

I not-infrequently eat burgers and I've had a couple Impossible Burgers from Bareburger. In my experience it's slightly not quite there yet to replicate beef, but it's close enough that if you told me it was some exotic meat (elk or bison or whatever) I wouldn't question whether or not it's meat - just whether or not it's beef.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am

I went to the Garlic Festival with my girlfriend yesterday. Tried a raw garlic shot, some barbecued garlic scapes (the green shoots that grow out of garlic bulbs), and sampled a bunch of different mustards, vinegars, and oils. Non-garlic foods we shared included Tibetan momo (with sauerkraut!), some apple cider, some sipping chocolate, and a Campari grapefruit mint popsicle.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:32 pm

thread

I want to taste those good blueberries and original Red Delicious apples so bad now :(

I absolutely think most blueberries I get in store are bland as fuck.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Most store-bought blueberries are selected for freshness preservation. Given that the areas in which blueberries can be grown commercially are somewhat small, preservation unfortunately wins out over taste. Like fresh cloudberries, though, they're absolutely worth it if you can find some.

As a carnivore from a family of meat-makers of whom a good portion are vegetarians (it's long, and probably boring): I think the worst thing is trying to replicate the taste and texture of beef. If, on the other hand, you're just looking for a delicious burger procsimile, and don't mind clunking around at home, I'd be willing to throw some recipes your way..?

This morning, I fried some vegetables and chicken with broken salty crackers from a semi-mass-market brand. The breading was really good, and I can't believe it's the first time I've tried it!.. Probably going to try my hand at meatloaf again, tonight, I can almost hear my mother's disappointment from here... Do wish me luck...

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:39 pm

What was the bit on King of the Hill about "tomatoes don't have any flavor"?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:40 pm

I've mentioned it here before, but I find that the best vegetarian recipes are the ones which aren't trying to emulate meats in any way.

Gimme some bhindi masala or undhiu or aloo raswala or something - now that's the stuff.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 pm

Thad wrote:What was the bit on King of the Hill about "tomatoes don't have any flavor"?

A few years back they started selling heirloom tomatoes here and fuck are they good. This year the grocery stores also started selling little variety packs of snack tomatoes and those are awesome too.

Regular tomatoes are pretty watery, yeah. Try to stick to vine tomatoes when just buying them in quantity for a recipe since those at least have SOME flavour.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:05 pm

What Mongrel said, MAXIMUM IBID. With the exception of field roast grain sausage, which is just ducky.
And that's from someone who is stupidly picky about sausage grind.
But aloo raswala is up there as something I could probably live off. Forever. Without complaints.

Thad, tomatoes don't have any flavo - oooOoo. (Also, searching hank hill gave me some unusual results. We live in a world...)

First and foremost, fry up portabello mushrooms. Remove and finely chop the stem, mix with garlic, your hot sauce of choice, and something heady to hold it together - worchester or soy sauce. Add your choice of marinade spices (or use a tapenade if you like). Marinade the mushrooms, reserving 1/4th of your marinade.

All the recipes I'm finding online recommend thirty minutes - don't do that, go for an hour or more, if you can. No more than two hours, though. You just want to get them marinated through, and patience is a part of that.

Grill or bake, and either brush marinade on as the portabellos cook, or halfway through the baking process.

Let them set a bit after cooking, and if you've got any marinade left, drizzle it over. It's okay if you don't, though - they'll be VERY flavourful and juicy. You can eat sans bun or on toasted bread, anything, really. If you're a pescetarian and occasionally enjoy seacreature foods, some softshell crab or crayfish stuffed in might be lovely.

But honestly, as is, these are just... Really good.
Feel free to give it a try, or if that's not to your liking! Cooking, let's go!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Mind that Worchestershire sauce is often made with anchovies.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:56 pm

You're all coming really close to spelling that right. I'm wondering how you're saying it.

François

Postby François » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Wostersheer?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Wostershur

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Worse - teh - sure?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Source.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:10 pm

That last one's pretty accurate for the westcountry. In general, you can't go wrong putting on a Bill Bailey voice.

Most Brits just go with wuss-ta, but extra syllables are acceptable if you're trying to be posh. Also you're not allowed to abbreviate the actual place like that. (Too confusing, as it contains a city called wuss-ta.)

Oh yes. And the county is generally spelled Worcs. Not sure what that's about.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Oh, I never knew you couldn't just leave off the shire bit, I always thought that since a shire demarcated a settled area that made it - uh, okay?
Guess it doesn't make much sense when I think about it.

Are residents also referred to by the demonym of Worcs?
So, if they're (hypothetically) invading, can you say - the Worcs are coming!
I was going to ask what the deal with the pear heraldry was, then I looked it up - fascinating stuff, and now I have a new cultivar to preserve! Or - make preserves, out of...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:54 pm

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:42 pm

mharr wrote:Oh yes. And the county is generally spelled Worcs. Not sure what that's about.

It's where the Worcs are from, obv.