Things That Go in Your Mouth

François

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby François » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:53 pm

I thought it might have something to do with fan speed, so I googled a bit and found this: https://www.consumerreports.org/cooking-baking/convection-oven-cooking-tips/

Some ovens have two fan speeds: A convection baking setting lowers the fan speed, and convection roasting relies on a higher fan speed to brown and crisp the exterior of meat and poultry.

So, yup, just as I thought, there you go.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:02 pm

The convection - i.e. fan settings - are what I don't need to know about as they are separate settings. What I'm talking about are the conventional (i.e. no fan running) settings. Easy confusion since the words are so close.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Traditionally "bake" meant to cook in an oven and "roast" meant to cook over a flame on a spit. Once people stopped spit-roasting the two terms became synonymous, to the point that which is used becomes utterly arbitrary. Why do we roast a beef but bake a ham, anyway?

As far as oven settings, baking probably gives an even output from all of the elements in the oven, so that your cheesecake sets in the middle without getting rubbery on the outside. Roasting uses more of the top heating element, so that the top/outside of the food gets more direct exposure to heat so you get a nice seared crust on the outside, kind of a half-broil.

Me, I'd probably use one and ignore that the other was even there.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Well, that's the closest I've heard to something that makes sense.

The order they're on the dial is meaningless anyway because I suspect they just went alphabetically, except the two convection settings go last.

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Mongrel wrote:The convection - i.e. fan settings - are what I don't need to know about as they are separate settings. What I'm talking about are the conventional (i.e. no fan running) settings. Easy confusion since the words are so close.

Oh right yeah, oops. Dang, the notion of a difference between roasting and baking in a conventional oven is so weird that it didn't even occur to me that this was what you were talking about.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 am

you got a new oven AFTER I moved out? D:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Büge wrote:you got a new oven AFTER I moved out? D:

The new Supers are go-getters, I guess!

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Michigan strawberries are in season! I made some cream biscuits and whipped some cream and greek yogurt. I refuse to eat anything except strawberries for the three weeks they're in season.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:30 pm

/me nervously shifts eyes in Californian
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Silversong wrote:I refuse to eat anything except strawberries for the three weeks they're in season.

*Strawberry Fistbump*

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:23 am

https://www.truesake.com/products/chiyo ... kitaro-cup

I bought this sake on a whim from the Japanese grocery because of the label, but it was actually pretty good! And now I'm left with this little glass cup that's too cute to throw away.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Does anyone know anything about or have any experience with mushroom logs? I guess that's a thing some people are selling, and it's pretty much what it says on the can: a log with mushrooms growing on it that you just keep and harvest for your own use.

Alexis would like one for her birthday. I'm not exactly surprised that when I go to find one outside of the local grocery store (!??), it's a complicated subject.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 am

Yoji, I don't know anything about this, but I sure as heck would not eat any mushrooms that I bought anywhere except a reputable grocery or a reputable mushroom farmer. And a grocery will not sell you a DIY kit, so I'd start looking for farmers. Maybe go to the next farmer's market and start asking around?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 pm

Mushroom logs tend to be preseeded -- pre-spored, I suppose -- with a specific kind of safely edible mushroom. I haven't heard of anyone accidentally poisoning themselves by accidentally growing amanita toadstools in their log or anything.

I don't actually know how or where to get one, though.

Can you get a log of Russian glowcaps? You'd never need to buy another package of fresh batteries again.

François

Postby François » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:10 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm

fucking lolol

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:15 pm

I made hayashi rice for the first time kinda cobbling together some recipes and throwing them against an S&B Hayashi Rice instant roux brick. Marinated thin sliced eye of round and ribeye (hot pot style frozen rolls) in some Wooster sauce, red wine, and salt and pepper, sautéed it in the instant pot and then did some onions and garlic with butter in the fond. Tossed meat back in over the onions, gave it a stir, then poured in about two cups of beef broth and dropped in a couple of handfuls of king oyster, button, and shimeji mushrooms. Put the roux bricks on top, then pressure cooked for ten minutes and let it release for another twenty.

Stirred it up, smothered some rice, sprinkled on green onion. If it hadn’t been 97 out today it would’ve been pretty perfect; it’s definitely going into the cold weather rotation.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:16 pm

I better figure out how to make Japanese curry rice for birthday dinner, too. This recipe looks alright, I think. The ingredients don't look too exotic, and I have the stuff to make the roux. But my cooking game's been off lately, so of course I'm nervous about this.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Kylie and I made Japanese curry the other day...

Included chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and for flavour/texture, espresso, Hershey's chocolate, cheddar cheese, and Old Bay seasoning. But we used a pre-made roux brick.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Give it a practice run before the big day. Don't try recipe for the first time for a special occasion.