Things That Go in Your Mouth

Grath

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Grath » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 pm

WingSounds wrote:As a carnivore from a family of meat-makers of whom a good portion are vegetarians (it's long, and probably boring): I think the worst thing is trying to replicate the taste and texture of beef. If, on the other hand, you're just looking for a delicious burger procsimile, and don't mind clunking around at home, I'd be willing to throw some recipes your way..?

Have you tried the Impossible Burger? They're legit shockingly good facsimile. I don't know if it fully mimics beef but if they told me it was something like Elk or Buffalo or something similarly exotic I wouldn't question whether or not it was meat.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:43 pm

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:50 am

Mongrel wrote:It's where the Worcs are from, obv.

Land of the Worcs would be an incredible band name...

Grath wrote:Have you tried the Impossible Burger?

Oh, I'm a carnivore till the end; perhaps because I'd like to preserve what I've learned until the end. Rather, I just truly respect people who are, and love cooking meatless meals as much as those made from tasty animal bits! And the Impossible site has me sold already. Cosmonauts! Flowers! Tasty looking food!..

Wow, and they actually have a location only an hour away. I'll have to give them a try!

mharr wrote:So fresh!

I always feel a deep and spiritual kinship with flowers, especially of the angry variety.
This strip in particular... It's everything I think and feel, every moment of every day.

(Honestly, though, lab-grown meat has the potential to be really interesting!)

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:15 am

I tried a recipe I've had kicking around in my bookmarks for a little bit! Kimchi Pork Pot Roast

3.5 lbs of pork butt.
1/4 cup mirin, 1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar, 14 oz jar of kimchi

Instant pot recipe, but you could use a slowcooker just fine. Just salted and seared the pork in the instant pot, then removed the meat and deglazed the pot with the mirin and soy sauce. Threw the pork back in, covered in sugar and kimchi, and then sealed the pot up to pressure cook for 70 minutes. I used slightly less than the cup of sugar the recipe had, but it still came out slightly too far on the sweet side for us; the garlic mashed potatoes helped to balance that out, but I think making this recipe again, I'd cut the sugar down to maybe a quarter cup or remove it entirely, and I'd probably go with an extra hot kimchi rather than the standard I used since the kimchi was a fairly muted flavor profile in the finished product. But it's super tender stewed pork with cabbage and that's basically impossible to go wrong with on top of mashed taters. (The brussel sprouts were just halved, salted and peppered, and browned in olive oil in the cast iron skillet which then took a trip into the 400 degree oven for about ten minutes once they were brown and crispy on the bottom, and turned out much better than my usual "just throw them in the fucking roasting pan for like twenty minutes in the oven i guess" because a tiny bit of extra effort actually does go a long way.)

I put some of the leftover roast in my super spicy instant ramen (dry style, not soup style) and A+ would recommend.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeaaahhhh! A man who knows how to cook brussels sprouts!

A+ approve.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Can anyone recommend a recipe that needs like a gallon of raw milk? All I've got is 'mash a literal ton of potatoes'.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

make a fuckton of milk pie maybe? I don't know.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:02 pm

That's more helpful than you might expect, milk pie isn't a thing over here to the degree that I'd never even remotely heard of it, so I'll definitely go for a couple of those. Looks like something that'll freeze well too, which is a definite bonus.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:05 pm

I'd never heard of a milk pie either. I think it's specifically a Wisconsin/dairy country idea ("I have so much leftover milk that I guess I'll try dumping it in a pie crust and baking it"). But now I want to make one.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Also like... a lot of mashed potatoes does sound good as fuck though.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Joxam wrote:Also like... a lot of mashed potatoes does sound good as fuck though.

And also keeps reasonably well.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Alrighty, started with a Mexican/US style with chocolate orange milk because that looked like the easiest recipe. Checking out the Greek ruffled style next. Feeling a lot better about our dairy situation. I don't think these have set yet. Also I am genetically incapable of cooking anything without generating cartoon splashes and hand prints over at least eight square meters plus everyone's clothing.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Now I really want to make one.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:05 pm

I also had never heard of milk pie, despite being cousins to Wisconsin. Is it just like any other creme pie? (Having never made any sort of creme pie).

Also all you guys talking about mashed potatoes made me have to make shepherd's pie last night. I could have taken a picture but instead we just ate the whole thing.

I think tomorrow I'm going to bake a batch of digestive biscuits (Silver's Special Recipe (no they don't taste just like McVitties)). I've found people are reluctant to try them if I call them "digestives" so I'll just say "cookie."

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Call them reformed cheesecake base.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:38 pm

I got a sous vide machine and decided to go straight to the big stuff and cooked a steak tonight.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 pm

That reminds me of something I saw yesterday. A Starbucks with a sign advertising sous-vide eggs.

It's like the food-safety equivalent of a bootleg fireworks factory.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:18 pm

I'd eat sous-vide eggs.

But not from Starbucks.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 pm

We love to do salmon in our sous vide. And eggs. And chicken breast that will be going into other dishes, like soup. Matt would do red meat more but I can't chew it.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 pm

"I wonder if my boy is doing okay with just grandma this afternoon..."

Meanwhile:
I'm told he poured the blue parts and helped make the streaks.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts