Things That Go in Your Mouth

mharr

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby mharr » Wed May 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Chilli's not really done until it's been frozen overnight and thawed in the slow cooker.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 pm

The silver lining of WFH days is absolutely in cooking things that would otherwise be weekends-only. My chili's improved, and I'm closing in on a really solid frijoles negros recipe as well.

Last batch of muffins needed some improvement, but even a merely okay fresh warm muffin is worth something.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 am

If you have a copy of Joy of Cooking, the Apple Walnut muffin recipe is super, the batter freezes really well, and the recipe takes well to substituting in some whole wheat flour.

If you don't have a copy of Joy of Cooking, go buy one. It's the only cookbook I trust.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm

Today's rice pudding is... well, you can always make it sweeter.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Has anyone tried those meal services like Dinnerly? Because hey nice coconut curry ramen

...well, not really true ramen. We made it with soba noodles, but still!

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Bought raw almonds. Didn't like them. Decided to roast them. (In the convection oven. I have no intention of turning the big oven on until, oh, late September? Whenever it gets down below 90 degrees out.)

Soaked overnight in a bowl with several sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Placed directly in the air-fryer basket.
Put in the convection oven at 250 degrees (the lowest mark on the knob).
Checked every hour to see if they were done yet; stirred them around and put them back if they weren't.

The good news is they came out really well; the bad news is it took 15 hours. So if I ever do this again I'm going to try for higher heat/shorter time. Maybe see if 350 degrees/1 hour will do it?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Just put them outside! :V

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:35 pm

This sounds like a pizza oven job

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:47 pm

Mongrel wrote:Just put them outside! :V

I bet you could. Put them in some kind of metal container and just leave them a couple days, I bet you'd get some pretty decent roasted nuts that way.

Hell, my car's gotta be, what, at least 130 degrees when I first get in it.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:51 am

Took a stab at homemade marshmallows the other day. Everyone seemed to like them, but I'm not sure I'm going to make them again. I didn't think something could be gooey and dusty at the same time, and they're basically pure sugar in a diabetic house.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:51 am

Took a stab at homemade marshmallows the other day. Everyone seemed to like them, but I'm not sure I'm going to make them again. I didn't think something could be gooey and dusty at the same time, and they're basically pure sugar in a diabetic house.

François

Postby François » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Yeah, I made some a while back, and I found that while they were delicious, they were way too much hassle.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:54 pm

I made some marshmallows once, they killed my stand mixer. It was a good excuse to buy a real KitchenAid. But I haven't tried it again because the tea shop down the street started selling homemade marshmallows in strawberry and lavender flavors. Now I just use the KitchenAid to make mochi from sticky rice.

François

Postby François » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:39 pm

I started with vanilla marshmallows just to see if I could successfully make the basic recipe, but what I really wanted to try making afterwards were coffee ones, and orange ones and mint ones. Now that I think about it again though, maybe if I hadn't made them by hand (which is to say, without a mixer) I would have ended up feeling like they were worth the effort, heh.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:56 am

I mean, you're not wrong, handmade marshmallows are pretty great. But as Silver said you need a mixer with some pretty high horsepower to not blow out the motor.

They're probably not worth blowing several hundred dollars on a KitchenAid if you don't already have one.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:54 pm

I cannot get over the flavor of the sugar syrup made from this: https://redblossomtea.com/products/wint ... 5623606334

It tastes exactly like the inside of a Taiwan style bubble tea shop smells. And since it's been a long time since I was willing to try to go someplace like a bubble tea shop, I've really been enjoying adding it to iced green tea with a splash of milk.
I don't usually sweeten my tea, but I do love me some bubble tea for dessert. I made a more condensed syrup than they recommended by adding less water, and also threw in a tablespoon of vodka for good measure. It will take me a long time to use it up.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:47 pm

I only recently learned that “winter melon” and “white gourd” are pretty much interchangeable; white gourd drink has been my Asian market vice of choice since I was in school and now I know I’ve been missing out on winter melon tea from basically every boba place I’ve ever frequented.

The idea of just ordering a block of it as sugar and making it into simple syrup feels like forbidden knowledge.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Speaking of forbidden knowledge: just replace "cook bacon" with "bread stuff."
(my wife has been ordering Dinnerly meals while we're stuck at home, and we're learning some fancy things aren't actually all that fancy)

...wait a sec, you can just make syrup?

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:29 am

Simple syrup is called that for a reason. You can either make 1:1 or 2:1 sugar to water. I did the latter so it would take up less space in the fridge. I added the tablespoon of vodka to help stave off bacteria, because I knew I wouldn't be using it quickly. I think it being 2:1 makes it less prone to going off, too?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:34 am

Syrup is hard to spoil. Sugar is so hydrophilic that there's not much water available for bacteria.