Things That Go in Your Mouth

François

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby François » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 am

I had to improvise a little because I'm not geared up to make french fries from scratch and even in Québec you need some seriously high-powered contacts to get your hand on fresh curds at 11PM, but it does turn out that if you put roast potatoes cut into strips (with olive oil, Montréal-style steak seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper), my homemade onion-heavy poutine sauce, shredded sharp cheddar and a bunch of iceberg lettuce (because I prefer when my silly food experiments mock the laws of heaven, earth and men) on a tortilla and make a wrap of it, you end up with an impossibly delicious proof of concept.

So, "oh no" sounds about right. :D

Büge wrote:You could put it in a roti and call it "Not your usual routine".

Eh? Ehhhh?

Good Lord, please don't make me want to find a way to stuff a roast with poutine. I'm a crazy son of a bitch with nothing to lose, I'd find one.

nosimpleway wrote:I dunno if french fries specifically would work all that well, but I could see fried potatoes and cheese curds in... like, a crepe, maybe? With the brown sauce on top. Not a sandwich wrap, more of an eat-with-a-fork thing.

I'm surprised at how well it held up in my hands, but there was leakage and it's a little too goopy to eat in company, yeah. I'm certainly glad I had the foresight to take off my shirt before I started eating. Sauce on top of the whole thing is worth investigating as an option, though that'd make it slightly less poutiny.

At any rate, I gotta try it again someday, but... not soon. One must always consider the risk of addiction, after all.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 am

So... A Disco Wrap? The spirit of the 80s and 90s is still alive.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:01 pm

François wrote:Good Lord, please don't make me want to find a way to stuff a roast with poutine. I'm a crazy son of a bitch with nothing to lose, I'd find one.

A roti, not a rôti, you... you double frenchman!

François

Postby François » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:19 pm

Welp, I wasn't sure if you meant rôti or rôtie, and it turns out you meant neither. So... uh... triple frenchman I suppose!

Poutine on toast.

With an egg.

Oh god damn.

Soon.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:10 pm

I made a perfect chocolate mousse last weekend, for the first time. Turns out it was the first time because mousse is really ....not difficult, just full of steps? Almost every individual ingredient has to be whipped into a foam. I used Divine bittersweet chocolate, and it was amazing and rich.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:52 pm

Mousses are a lot like souffles in that they're a bit more trouble than they're worth but not actually all that difficult.

I mean if you want to make a list of stuff that culinary school made out to be mega-complicated but really isn't, well, I can fill a book with that sort of thing. A series of books. On a shelf directly to my left. (It's where I keep all my recipe and cooking theory books.) Much of my culinary knowledge since I graduated was "Wait, ___ is just ___ and ___? Why didn't they just say so?"

("Mousse is just custard, meringue, and whipped cream? Why didn't they just say so?")

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 am

I made caramel for the first time, all by myself! I think the next time will be better, when I have an idea how long I'll stare at sugar before it starts to _do_ something.

Then I made the caramel into salted caramel buttercream. The caramel was still a bit too warm and the whole thing got a bit runny, but it's in the fridge and I'm hoping it'll be fine once it comes back to room temperature.

Anyway, I'm just happy I successfully made caramel on my first try, even after a chef told me I DEFINITELY couldn't make it on an electric stove, I'd better buy a tabletop burner first.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:53 am

Congrats, Silversong!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Nicely done.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 pm

I don't follow. Did a chef tell you that it's impossible to make caramel on an electric burner? Or that you, personally, Silve R. Song, lack the ability to make caramel on an electric burner?

Not that it's really important to discern whether this person is wrong or an asshole.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:26 pm

R^2, I occasionally take (half-price sale) cooking classes at the local Sur La Table, and in my last class the chef taught us to make salted caramel buttercream, and when I asked about making it at home on my electric stove she basically flipped the cooking table insisting the very idea was impossible and I should throw my stove out the window.

Obviously I did it anyway, so I guess I realized her warnings were ridiculous? I rotated the pan occasionally, so I at least took the advice about uneven heat.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:13 am

Did you know you can caramelize sugar without melting the sugar, and just end up with regular granular sugar that performs exactly like sugar, only it tastes like caramel? Because that shit makes coffee wild and turns baking upside down.

You just bake it at 300 degrees for 3-5 hours. It'll clump a bit, but powders back down just fine in a food processor. Try that in a buttercream.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:43 pm

I just realized I was out of pam after already finishing the cake batter, so I just rubbed a bar of softened butter over the pan.

I think the crust of this cake (it has crust) is a higher life form than I am.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 pm

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:18 pm

It's originally a French-Canadian type of candy, first called "tire de Sainte-Catherine", meaning "Saint-Catherine's taffy"; it was associated with St. Catherine of Alexandria's feast day on November 25th, rather than Halloween, which came much later. Legend has it that it was invented by Marguerite Bourgeoys, an important 17th century historical figure who was a nun from colonial times. She founded the first school in Québec and apparently made candy (or had candy made) to attract children to class.

So, nun candy. Yyyyyup. I much prefer monk chocolate myself.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:56 pm

Pretty sure I've had those and liked them? Must be thinking of something else.

(Or maybe it was a thing Catholics liked to import.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:07 pm

François wrote: St. Catherine of Alexandria's feast day on November 25th, rather than Halloween, which came much later.

I'm pretty sure Halloween has always come before November 25th, not much later.

François

Postby François » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:35 am

I meant that more in the sense that it's a candy originally intended for children and associated with a fall celebration, and it predates in Québec the tradition of Halloween and trick-or-treating as we know it today, which I'm pretty sure spread here from Irish migrants long after the British takeover.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:24 am

I think R^2 was funnin' ya, son.

François

Postby François » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 am

I guess it's possible I'm losing my humor detector when I go into scholar mode. :3