Things That Go in Your Mouth

Silversong

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Silversong » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 am

TA wrote:Did you know you can caramelize sugar without melting the sugar, and just end up with regular granular sugar that performs exactly like sugar, only it tastes like caramel? Because that shit makes coffee wild and turns baking upside down.

You just bake it at 300 degrees for 3-5 hours. It'll clump a bit, but powders back down just fine in a food processor. Try that in a buttercream.

Yes, my bf has done this a few times recently. We don't take sugar in our coffee, but try making it into a simple syrup for cocktails. :o (Just don't put it into light colored drinks containing Creme de Violette, it turns the poor things sludge-brown.)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:21 am

My dad comes over to our place once or twice a week, because he has a very long commute so sometimes he just stays the night at our place (which is halfway between my folks house and where he works), so most of the time I make him dinner.

While Starr and I are only average cooks, he's so used to eating terrible things out of necessity - last chance frozen foods, moldy or rotting produce off the discount rack, bulk discounted garbage, etc. - that my dad thinks everything we serve him is some kinda amazing restaurant-grade stuff. So okay, easy compliments.

Tonight I made some oil & vinegar chicken wings, using a recipe mom made for years and which she got in the first place from my dad's mom (who has been gone for several years now). My mom had two versions, the way she made it which is a bit easier, and the way my grandma made it (not much difference other than the marinade time and fluid quantity used). I'd made this before once or twice, years ago, but never had the grandma version, so I wanted to try that.

After dinner my dad mentioned that his mom always made these for him on his birthday and that my wings were so close, that if he had a cake from this old long-gone cake shop, he almost would have felt like it was his birthday 50 years ago.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:22 pm

‧º·(˚ ˃̣̣̥⌓˂̣̣̥ )‧º·˚

bwaaaaahhhh~

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:38 pm

So, okay, Coke and Pepsi are now both marketing some kinda "green" versions, using more-naturallerer sugar alternatives (stevia, etc.) and when I see them all I can think of is Sani-Cola.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:13 pm

My work is having a bake-off on Friday. I want to participate, but will be totally wiped after the insanity that is my work today and tomorrow. I'm thinking rose-vanilla flavored meringues? Not too hard or time consuming, delicious, and something the gluten-free people can eat.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Wow, that sounds so dainty and fancy! You're so cool, Silver.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:29 pm

On another note: I forgot how calorically dense Caribbean food is. I got a small jerk chicken with dumplings and coleslaw and it still lasted me two meals. The dumplings they served were pretty much softball-sized lumps of fried dough.

Next time I think I'll go with the plantains instead. Urp.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Büge wrote:On another note: I forgot how calorically dense Caribbean food is. I got a small jerk chicken with dumplings and coleslaw and it still lasted me two meals. The dumplings they served were pretty much softball-sized lumps of fried dough.

Next time I think I'll go with the plantains instead. Urp.

That reminds me of how meat patties are supposed to be served in a sweet white bun (basically white bread made with a little coconut milk, I think). Like, you put your sandwich on another bun.

I was confused enough that I once asked a Jamaican friend about this and he explained it's really tasty, but you have to get the really nice fresh white bun and most places in Toronto don't have those. Since then, I think I've had that sorta thing once, and I get it a bit better... but it still feels like a double-bun to me.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:59 am

Wait, so the meat patty is in a regular bun, and then that's all together in another bun?

@_@

We have a Cuban-inspired street food place that has really good plantains. I like the ones that are crisped up like chips, with avocado dip.

Oh, and the meringues came out beautifully, and I managed to only eat four last night. 40-some made it to work today for other people. I made little quarter-sized kisses so people can eat a couple and not feel bad about how much sugar they are.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Mongrel wrote:That reminds me of how meat patties are supposed to be served in a sweet white bun (basically white bread made with a little coconut milk, I think). Like, you put your sandwich on another bun.

So there is some precedent to the Jamacia (Queens) Beef Patty. It's a Golden Crust brand microwaveable beef patty in between two slices of white bread.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:27 pm

A good tostone is a joy forever.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:47 pm

Dangit, now I want to get some plantains. The weather's still unseasonably warm, so I bet we could barbecue 'em.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Pfft, it has to be like -20 for me to even think about not using the BBQ.

By which, I mean, go for it.

Though that reminds me I should gas up the cylinder before winter.... but then again, I don't think the BBQ has been used that much the past few months? Maybe 8-12 times this summer? So it's probably got enough fuel for occasional use through winter.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 am

... I just realized I can 3D print cookie cutters. This could be very bad or very good. Or both! That can only be determined after I've made a dozen or so Paragon/Renegade sugar cookies.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:50 am

buge maek gud sweetputtater friez

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:05 am

Hardly Ideal wrote:... I just realized I can 3D print cookie cutters. This could be very bad or very good. Or both! That can only be determined after I've made a dozen or so Paragon/Renegade sugar cookies.

Be very careful about what you print them in, then ideally treat them for a smooth surface and seal it in a food safe resin. That, or they're use once and throw away before bacteria can accumulate in the tons of tiny nooks and crannies.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:45 am

So "raw" cashews are actually steamed or boiled.

I've tried roasting my own cashews recently. The store only had raw unsalted or roasted salted, and I wanted roasted unsalted. So I bought the "raw" ones. They were chewy and not very flavorful, so my wife suggested we try roasting them ourselves.

After looking up various guidelines on the Internet, I did it like this: I soaked them in water, with rosemary from my garden, for about two hours. Then I roasted them in a toaster oven at 300 degrees, again for about two hours, stirring them around every half-hour. (It's not an exact science. You can tell when they're close to done by the smell of roasted nuts in your kitchen, but obviously the best way to check whether they're cooked through is to try a couple.) They came out pretty well; I like the rosemary flavor.

I'm still tinkering. I wonder if kicking the temperature up to 350 would reduce the cook time without burning them.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:buge maek gud sweetputtater friez

...what?

Thad wrote:I've tried roasting my own cashews recently. The store only had raw unsalted or roasted salted, and I wanted roasted unsalted. So I bought the "raw" ones. They were chewy and not very flavorful, so my wife suggested we try roasting them ourselves.

You should try other recipes with 'em. Make some cashew cream or cashew and date truffles.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Like most kinds of pasta, Spaghetti Aglio E Olio is better the next day. Just don't inhale a chili flake like I did.

gak

François

Postby François » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:09 pm

I made some white fudge to give away tomorrow and it tastes pretty much like I wanted it to, but the pieces look and feel almost exactly like little blocks of mozzarella. Man I hope that doesn't weird out the family.

Fortunately I also made some coffee fudge and it's god-damn perfect in every regard so I hope it balances out.