Things That Go in Your Mouth

hngkong

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby hngkong » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:39 am

Honestly, after about 100,000 it starts to get a bit too hot to be enjoyed for me, and I like spicy food a lot. I'm in a weird place like you are mharr, where all my friends are like "black pepper is too spicy", but my girlfriend and her friends are like "Fuck your mouth, put in as many of the hottest peppers you can!"

If you really want to mess with any of those really hot sauces be careful. Dilute it in plenty of food. For example, a drop of one of the really high scoville sauces in a giant pot of chili should be enough. Also consider wearing gloves when using or even handling an open bottle, because if ANY of the sauce gets on your finger and you don't clean it well enough, next time you rub your eye or use the rest room, you'll be hurting.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am

Do not cook with them, you'll end up tear gassing yourself.

The best thing to do is to taste a dab of it first to see if it's anything you actually WANT on food, wash the fuck out of your hands, and then use a little bit as a finisher on whatever you want to be spicy. Generally best on things that will absorb it, so meats, carbs, and other liquids. Eggs, sandwiches, soups, dressings, steaks, carby sides, etc.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:00 pm

What Brent said.

Plus, when you wash your hands, use alcohol, not just soap.

If you wear contact lenses, switch them out for glasses before you fuck around with hot sauce.

Even if you don't think you've gotten any on your hands, you still might have gotten some on your hands.

Also: the first time you use a particular sauce, you might surprise yourself with how quickly it comes out of the bottle. Check the bottle before you pour; how viscous is the sauce, and does the opening have one of those little dropper things over it?

There's nothing wrong with putting hot sauce on your food, one drop at a time, as needed, either; you don't need to put sauce on the whole meal before you start eating. On the one hand, you'll get a lot more heat in one bite if that bite's got a drop of really hot hot sauce on it than you'd get per-bite if you spread that drop through the entire dish, but I actually prefer it that way: one really hot bite is easier to recover from with a few bites that aren't hot than an entire dish where every bite is hot.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:42 pm

You should also probably taste it first anyways because a lot of fuck off hot sauces taste so fucking hot in a terrible (IMO) chemically way. I honestly prefer just jalapeno or equally hot pepper up to like a habanero if you want something with some kick to it when i cook but of course with things like wings its not always practical to do that.

Also, I'm half Mexican so you can trust me on this, don't let ANYONE bullshit you into eating something that isn't in your comfort level, and comfort level is different for anyone.

I can pretty much eat entire jalapenos straight and basically be fine, but at the same time that doesn't mean i expect anyone else to do this and testing how much hot shit you can eat is just bullshit manliness stuff that has no place in food enjoyment. I have in the past went so far as to tell friends of mine that shit like 'insanity' level sauces and bullshittingly hot peppers have no place in my kitchen or on my food because that's not the reason I eat the food I eat. I like spicy food because I like the taste of the things that make the food spicy not because I have any special fondness for my fucking face being on fucking fire.

Also the alcohol thing. If you drink and you ever find yourself in a spot of spicy bother that you want to get out of quickly drinking a shot of something 80 proof helps pretty much instantly for the same reason washing your hands with alcohol is the best way to clean up after spicy cooking.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Yeah, that's exactly it. My rule of thumb is that if you can't actually taste the food (or it's getting close to that point), that's too hot.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:02 am

I like the really hot stuff, sometimes. It's a rush and I do enjoy the flavors. (Spontaneous Combustion is tangy; Ultimate Insanity is smoky.) I don't use those every day, or every week (though I probably put some hot sauce or other on my food most days, usually good old Huy Fong Sriracha) but they're a sometimes food. Add a drop to the first bite of a slice of pizza or a burrito, something like that.

But Jox, like you said, everybody's threshold is different. Scoring it as some kind of manliness test is silly; it's a test of the genetic lottery more than anything. Some people are simply less sensitive to spicy foods than others.

(I remember a story recently about a guy eating a pepper -- I think a Carolina Reaper? -- and doing some serious damage to his body; the papers asked the guy who originally bred that kind of pepper for his response, and he said something like "Please don't eat them whole; you're supposed to cut off a little bit, add it to food, see if that's enough, and if it's not then add a little bit more.")

atog

Postby atog » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Don't forget that among edible chiles are a wide variety of actual flavours besides heat. Jalapeños have that familiar savoury almost-bitter character to them; Anaheim and Korean longs are light and a little on the sweet side; Scotch bonnets and Poblanos tend to be aromatic and almost nutty; arbols like Vietnamese and Thai peppers are sweet heat; and then each variety can be smoked, dried, or pickled adding in a new and different layer of flavours.

I've eaten out with gamer friends who insisted on ordering 4 stars (out of 4 or 5) spicy food and the actual cook came out and gave him an earful after the kid sampled his order and forced himself to have a few more bites, turning a different colour with each painful, wheezing swallow. "You eat out to enjoy good food, not to show how macho you are," he said.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:24 pm

I found a tiny local shop which has honest-to-god real Kasugai coffee nibs. Aww yiss.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:50 pm

doo dee doo let's browse This Is Colossal some moHOLY SHIT MY WALLET JUST EXPLODED
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:04 pm

What's that outermost layer? Cake formed in a special pan and then just dusted with red powdered sugar?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Icing thats been airbrushed with food coloring

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm

When I worked at wal-mart because I was the only person in the entire place with any artistic ability even though I was the photolab manager they taught me how to airbrush cakes and I did all the special orders. It was cool as hell.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Dat's a lotta icing. Hope it's mellow enough to not overwhelm - commercial cakes overdo the icing waaaayyy too often.

@ Jox: That would have been really fun.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 pm

In my experience, in cakes, "aesthetic" and "edibility" are competing factors.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm

beatbandito wrote:In my experience, in cakes, "aesthetic" and "edibility" are competing factors.

Yep. Fondant has the stability of cement, and it's just as appetizing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 pm

beatbandito wrote:In my experience, in cakes, "aesthetic" and "edibility" are competing factors.

Speaking of exactly that...

RELEASE THE KRAKEN

Amazing work... and basically inedible! (the Kraken itself is probably at least 50% wax... or lard. What a waste of Callebaut ;__; )

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:28 am

Büge wrote:Yep. Fondant has the stability of cement, and it's just as appetizing.

I bought a silicone mat for forming fondant lace, that I've been too scared to try. If I get it to work, I don't think it would be tooooo much fondant (and if it is, it could be easily peeled off the rest of the icing).

François

Re: Things That Go In Your Mouth

Postby François » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:40 pm

For a few years now, there's been a poutine festival going around Québec with a bunch of food trucks from various restaurants serving all kinds of non-typical poutines, and there's a live band and games and it's sort of a miniature fair. This year, their tour ends in my town, three blocks from my home. I kinda had to go.

This would be General Tao's Poutine. It starts with a normal poutine, except it has a sort of sweet/spicy chili sauce deal going on with the gravy, with green onion bits and sesame seeds, and the big pieces are crispy battered chicken bites. Man! I wouldn't give up top-notch classic poutine forever for it, but it was still pretty damn good and I didn't expect the flavors to work so well together.

They're still in town for two days. Maybe I'll go back for lobster poutine, or jerk chicken poutine... but at 12-16 bucks apiece, it'd start getting expensive fast.

Plus... well... that'd be a lotta poutine down my gob in three days.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Ahhh... General Chaos Chicken.

(Actual name used by a place in Baltimore)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:14 pm

François wrote:This year, their tour ends in my town, three blocks from my home. I kinda had to go.

Man, there was a festival literally right outside my apartment all last weekend and I managed to not make it to that.