Fucking Cell Phones

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Fucking Cell Phones

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Using a Raspberry Pi for something is usually the MOST complicated solution.

(And in my actual experience with this sort of thing, it works much better as a media server than as a client.)

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:48 pm

In my experience, the Raspberry Pi is terrible and it's extra-terrible at music stuff.

sei

Postby sei » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Thad wrote:[bad times with SMB playing music over local wifi]

FWIW, ES File Explorer + MX Player is a passable stack for playing video over Windows share.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 pm

I use the same exact stack, so golgo13withamustache.

patito

Postby patito » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:11 am

I've used ES file explorer with VLC for networked video and music, but VLC doesn't work for playlists sadly.

EDIT: Video playlists that is, ES file explorer has its own music player and it works pretty all right.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:23 am

sei wrote:
Thad wrote:[bad times with SMB playing music over local wifi]

FWIW, ES File Explorer + MX Player is a passable stack for playing video over Windows share.

I'll check it out; thanks.

patito wrote:I've used ES file explorer with VLC for networked video and music, but VLC doesn't work for playlists sadly.

EDIT: Video playlists that is, ES file explorer has its own music player and it works pretty all right.

Huh, didn't notice an internal player on ES but I'll check again. (Does it do FLAC? If it doesn't do FLAC that might be why I didn't see it.)

patito

Postby patito » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 am

It can do flac but for some reason it's kind of dumb about it. Like if you click an mp3 it'll open the android menu to let you choose what to open it with, but flacs don't show ES media player as a choice. For flacs you can do a hold touch and go into the more menu to open as audio file or just play it, you can also do this on folders to play the entire contents as well.

I still keep my music sorted in folders so that works just fine for me.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Windows Phone for $40 (affiliate link), no contract, if you want a Windows phone to fuck around with.

Seems like it'd be appropriate for the same sort of remote/portable media center functionality I've been talking about using my old Android phone for.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 pm

I remember my friend saying these Windows phones are supposed to have superior audio hardware but I dont know if that applies to the Nokia ones.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

I bet it's got better SMB support than Android.

...and probably worse FLAC support.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 pm

No native codec support and no running VLC locally, so... yes.

Have you tried DLNA? Not that thats any less nightmarish than Samba sharing, but you might luck out.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:55 pm

I lost my Xperia Play.

I will never love again.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Getting closer!

Apparently the Evo 4G was one of the first phones to have HDMI out and HTC did some weird shit with it. Like, it won't output video from everything, just certain specific apps like YouTube. (Not Netflix.)

I've managed to find a ROM that will mirror the entire screen no matter what's on it, but the kernel doesn't support CIFS, so I'm going to have to try either another kernel, seeking out a .ko file, compiling one my own damn self, or, again, back away from SMB as a protocol.

Meanwhile: scouring software for a phone nobody really cares about anymore has really highlighted the unfortunate world we live in now where people post shit to download sites and it eventually goes away. Dead links everywhere. They could have at least posted a torrent; sure, it might not have any seeds by now, but then again it might.

(A more official repo like Sourceforge, Google Code, or Github would be better still.)

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I don't have any evidence for this but I'm going to guess the limited functionality comes from a lack of an HDCP encoder.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Could explain Netflix, but not DRM-free video files.

(Does HDCP even work through an HDMI-DVI converter? Because that's what I've got it hooked up to, and Netflix is working now with this other firmware I've put on it.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:27 am

Huh -- the module's right there in the modules directory.

Guess I should either try another kernel or install a terminal and start poking around lsmod.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Turns out it just wasn't running insmod at boot even though I'd checked the box. So that's easy, at least.

Everything's coming along now; the last big barrier is internal storage space, of which the Evo 4G doesn't have very damn much.

Compounding the issue is that I've only been able to get HDMI mirroring working with Sense ROMs, and even the ones with most of the bloatware removed still take up a lot of storage out of the box. (Mirroring is supposed to work out of the box with Cyanogenmod 7, but that has not been my experience.)

I'm thinking I may do a clean install, and then install the most space-consuming apps first (Terminal IDE, RetroArch) and then use one of those third-party App2SD programs to move them to SD (since they won't run off SD by default).

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:54 pm

This is extremely specific to my project and probably no help to anyone.

But.

The reason I couldn't get Cyanogenmod to work with HDMwIn was a mixture of my own impatience and a design flaw in the program itself.

I eventually realized that it had never prompted me for su access even though it was supposed to.

Eventually I discovered that this was because I'd been running it immediately at first boot, before trying anything else (because if this doesn't work, there's no sense wasting time on this ROM, geddit?) -- including connecting to wifi.

If it gets a signal, it prompts you to download a daemon update. Once that's downloaded, THEN it prompts for su access, and then it works.

Also it comes preinstalled on Decks Reloaded.

Which incidentally is the ROM I already had on my fucking phone, before I started all this.

(In my defense, I was always going to reset to factory before I started the project, because I'm not going to keep all my contacts and logins on a phone that I'm going to leave lying around the house. But still, if I'd kept the same ROM instead of replacing it from the start, this would have taken a lot less time.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:46 am

Okay, NOW I'm starting to get somewhere. Not quite there yet, but man, picture is sharp as hell.

Retroarch seems to be too high-end for my old Evo 4G, as even the NES emulators are really choppy.

NESoid fares better but I can't get the damn thing to work with my Wii remote. Detects it just fine under the Settings menu and lets me map buttons, but none of them actually work in-game.

Tried the Android-native version of Sonic 2, but it has no frameskip so it's...well, I would say "unplayable" but I beat the first half-pipe stage on my first try. So it's technically PLAYABLE, at least on the early training-wheels stages, but it's not very much damn fun.

(Looks much better when I try the original ROM on Gensoid, but Gensoid, unsurprisingly, has the same issue as NESoid where I can configure my controller but it doesn't actually work in-game.)

AIMP seems like it MIGHT work as a music player; it doesn't make me rescan my entire 6000-song library after every reboot. So far I've had issues with choppiness and UI responsiveness, but I need to see how it behaves when I give it some time (say, do a fresh boot, wait a few minutes for everything to load, let it play a few songs to get warmed up, and THEN see how it does).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Thad wrote:NESoid fares better but I can't get the damn thing to work with my Wii remote. Detects it just fine under the Settings menu and lets me map buttons, but none of them actually work in-game.

There's a setting inexplicably stuck under a completely different submenu for allowing IME input. So I got that working.

Gensoid and Gearoid worked great out of the box, in my testing. Which consisted of Sonic games, so they're pretty good examples of twitch action games with precise timing.

Nesoid required some tweaking to max frameskip to get Mega Man 2 to be (1) quick enough that Mega Man jumps when you hit the Jump button but (2) not have sprite-flicker so bad that he disappears and you're piloting blind. But I think I got it to Good Enough.

Gameboid...even with frame-skip maxed out I couldn't get the timing right on the first level of SMB3. So it's probably no good for GBA action games. Should be fine for GBA RPG's and older-generation GB games, though.

Haven't tried SNESoid because my Classic Controller is in a drawer that's currently obstructed.