Fucking Cell Phones

beatbandito

Re: Fucking Cell Phones

Postby beatbandito » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Finally went ahead and updated my phone. Went with the Huwei Ascend Mate 2

It's an amazing update for me from my galaxy s2 and I don't know if it's jellybean or what they do with it, but everything is customizable and awesome.

The main draw was a huge screen and battery though, and I intend to put both to use. If anyone could recommend ebook or comic readers I'd appreciate it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 pm

I use Perfect Viewer for my android comics needs.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 am

I use Perfect Viewer for comics too, and FBReader for ebooks. PV's interface has some discoverability issues but it seems to have gotten better in more recent versions.

I hear Comixology's Guided View is good for splitting pages up into a panel-by-panel view, but of course it only works with the DRM'ed versions of comics bought from Comixology, so I've never tried it.

Thrillbent puts out good comics that are easily viewable at cell size.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 am

I used to be perfectly happy with this phone, but the last three updates have all broken something vitally important with it. The first made Chrome crash constantly, the second reduced my battery life to about 8 hours (note that this is a Droid Razr Maxx HD - its number one selling point is having 36 hours of battery life), and the third has made SwiftKey so unresponsive that it is almost useless.

Updates ruining things that I like is kind of a pet peeve of mine. Between that, my growing interest in developing for a platform that people actually use, and wanting a more convenient camera that works, I'm starting to think the unthinkable.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Are you running CM? I've had pretty good luck with CM not going out of its way to break shit on updates.

Mazian

Re: Hot game deals

Postby Mazian » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Niku wrote:I am actually pretty goddamned unhappy with the iPhone 5 by this point, which makes it the first one I've really had a lot of problems with. My battery has gone entirely to shit and my lock button works one time out of fifty, to the point where I use the software/disability button to lock my phone now and can basically never turn the thing off.

Yeah, I know I'm responding to a six month old post, but: Apple does have a free exchange program for some early production units for both the lock button and battery issues. Can't hurt to check, eh?

Now that iOS 8 (finally) reports battery usage by app, I can see that my biggest power hog is Facebook polling for background refresh... which is very strange, since I have that specifically turned off. Haven't figured exactly what mischief it's up to yet, but since I only check FB a few times a week, I suppose I can just get into the habit of manually closing the app every time.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Well, shit! I just got a 6, so that's BASICALLY MOOT! That being said, this might be worth looking into because I was just about to pop open this thread to ask if there were any decent bluetooth game controller cases to turn the iPhone 5 into a handheld and if it's be worth jailbreaking the thing to turn it into an emulator-station instead of just turning it into AT&T for sweet money-cash savings. Anyone have any experience with that on the iOS side?

Ahaha. And checking my serial number, of course my phone's in that range.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Not strictly a cell phone or a tablet, but this is pairing with my phone so that's probably the best fit.

Just got a Samsung Gear Live for a smartwatch. I had to get a longer wrist band (because I'm a half-giant) but that was a fairly painless process - it uses a standard 22mm watch band, so it was just pull the old bands off (which the pins have easy-detach tabs on the stock band) and stick the new bands on (which didn't have the easy-use pins, but I bought the tool for doing watch band replacements). So far it definitely drops the battery life on my phone some - I haven't had a 'normal' use day on the phone since getting the watch Tuesday, but I expect that a normal day of use would get my battery down to ~15-20% now rather than ~30-40%? Yesterday I tanked my battery a bunch trying to set up the IR blaster on my phone so that I could control my TV.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:55 pm

For some reason my phone doesn't ring. It will receive the call, launch the caller app and all that but no vibration and no ring. Every other notification works as it should and I can hear the ring tones in the selector.

Rebooting phone doesn't do anything and haven't tried / want to avoid a factory reset if I can since that could end up being a nightmare with this phone (1+ 2 running some custom oxygenOS thing) and the sources that recommend it say it's not permanent anyway.

Haven't tried a new caller app yet and on that note if anyone has suggestions I'm not a huge fan of the stock anyway.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:01 am

I have a similar but not the same issue. Since an update or so ago for android my phone does not give me notification (no ring or vibration but also no notification on the lock screen or anything) when I receive texts, the only way I can see if I got texts is by opening the messenger app once or twice an hour our by having a messenger widget on my home screen (which I do). I have a Galaxy s7 with whatever the standard current OS is for that.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Finally switched providers today, from Gigantic Useless Corporate Assholes, Inc. to the really nice cheap no frills provider (for the Canadians: I Switched from Rogers to Koodo, long overdue).

In addition to saving $10 a month and getting better service, I enjoyed a magnificent moment when the GUCA Inc. employee thanked me for my loyalty and continued business after I called to get my account number (for the transfer out, but he didn't need to know that).

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Paranoid Android ROMs? I am having a stuck wifi issue, went from stock to Cyanogen and I can make it work intermittently there which makes me pretty sure it's not a hardware issue. But I don't want to just install a bunch of random ROMs I don't really know anything about until one of them works completely.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:42 am

My Moto G did the weirdest thing last night. I was in the middle of composing a text, and it suddenly blanked out and then did the "turning on" animation. I then went back in to write another text, and it glitched out again, and this time had deleted every single text in my phone. Just a white screen with "No messages." I've turned it off and back on again, they're gone for realz.

Is this....a thing a phone should do?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 am

I've had my phone turn off randomly, then back on, a few times in the past. Never did it delete anything, though.

I poked around online and nobody said anything about a problem like that. Might be worth plugging it into your PC and seeing if you can copy the text message file or folder. If it's a file, open it with Notepad++ to see if there's anything there.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:45 pm

My phone will also occasionally randomly delete individual text message "conversation histories", but it's a Blackberry, so lol whatever.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Finally, time for an upgrade from a hand-me-down iPhone.

I hate Apple's notion that I need to be curated through my own phone with a special program that needs updating every five minutes. I just want to use a goddamned MGS Codec ringtone because I'm a massive dork, and I'm sure as fuck NOT paying for one.

*shop*

...holy crap, when did phones get so big?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Took me a long time to get used to how fucking huge the Nexus 4 is compared to every other phone I've ever owned.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Haha, man, I swear I would almost rather own a dumbphone than an iphone. Seriously, fuck Apple; it's MY HARDWARE, DAD, YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:33 am

The "big and thin" aesthetic that encompasses nearly 100% of new phones is a ergonomic nightmare. I ended up putting a bulky case over my LG G5 (with its mere 5.3" screen) to make it stop feeling like I'm bending the thing out of shape every time I put it in my pocket. The fact that that is a thing that actually happens with modern phones doesn't help at all.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 am

Oh man, I was commenting about that exact thing to my brother. He took out his phone to reset it today when Pokemon Go went blank on him, and when he took the case off it actually didn't look like a life raft anymore. It's amazing how much bulk a good protective case adds.