The RSS Feed

Niku

The RSS Feed

Postby Niku » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

I think we had a thread like this over in the Fossilized area, but it doesn't hurt to get an update. What're your daily link spots and news fixes?

For movies I tend to keep tabs on http://www.pajiba.com and http://www.flickfilosopher.com more than anything else. For gaming there's www.usgamer.net and www.giantbomb.com and www.wired.com/gamelife/ as well as Parish's assortment of things (though easier to just follow him on Twitter nowadays). For actual news for better or for worse I just come here. For assorted bloggy nonsense I follow www.mightygodking.com and www.dinosaurdracula.com and for a random constant stream of book reviews I'm following www.cannonballread.com in between contributing to it. There's also www.theimpulsivebuy.com for all snacking and fast food related needs and the local voice rag's food blog for restaurant stuff at http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/ though that's pretty particular to the geographical location. I've also been following www.jennytrout.com mostly for the long and rambling recaps of Buffy episodes, but those are few and far between while she busily peddles her smut at the moment. I am admittedly just jealous that she can peddle her smut in exchange for goods and or services.

Büge

Re: The RSS Feed

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:27 pm

I don't understand RSS feeds.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 pm

That's why Twitter and all these walled gardens succeeded.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:35 pm

I used to be into RSS feeds way more before iGoogle exploded. Now I have no way of gathering groups of RSS feeds by theme/relative update frequency and put them all in columns so I can quickly check if any has updated with interesting things.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Here.

This is where I get all my news.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm sorry.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 am

I mean, I go here instead of browsing 4chan. I feel like this is a correct move.

sei

Postby sei » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:21 am

zaratustra wrote:I used to be into RSS feeds way more before iGoogle exploded. Now I have no way of gathering groups of RSS feeds by theme/relative update frequency and put them all in columns so I can quickly check if any has updated with interesting things.

There was an explosion of RSS reader discussion back when Google broke our heartssunsetted Google Reader. IMO, Feedly is the best option out there right now, because: 1) feedly's web UI is good after you break it in; and 2) because it cloned Google Reader's API, making feedly compatible with good Android RSS apps, so you can still sync up with Reeder, gReader, etc..

There are other options, like newsblur, the old reader, and so on that you can check on too.

There are desktop clients too, but I've never bothered.