Weather

Thad

Re: Weather

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Left the house for the first time in a few weeks yesterday (to get an allergy shot, pick up some prescriptions, and grab some Mexican takeout while I was in the neighborhood). I'd been looking forward to it, but wow Phoenix in July.

I'm clearly going to have to work out some kind of way to periodically take off my mask to drink water. I guess I'll need to take it off every time I get back in my car and then put it back on right before I get out to go in someplace. That's going to greatly increase the number of times I'm putting my mask on, taking it off, and putting things in my mouth over the course of a trip, which ain't great, but neither is heatstroke.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:01 am

Thad wrote:I'm clearly going to have to work out some kind of way to periodically take off my mask to drink water. I guess I'll need to take it off every time I get back in my car and then put it back on right before I get out to go in someplace. That's going to greatly increase the number of times I'm putting my mask on, taking it off, and putting things in my mouth over the course of a trip, which ain't great, but neither is heatstroke.

What I've been doing is putting exam gloves on right after I put on my mask, and taking them off right before I get back in my car, then taking my mask off right after I get back in.
(I toss the used gloves in the back, and have found that they generally survive one trip through the washing machine)
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:17 pm

Not a bad idea.

I've got a box of vinyl exam gloves and I've found that they're not great; they're hard to put on and I usually end up with a glove that's either ripped or has the fingertips hanging loosely at the end. The powdered latex kind would probably be better.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Latex gloves are worthless for those very reasons. If you can't get your hands on good powdered gloves (xxl, you don't want them to grip at all for the removal) then I've used kitchen gloves to some effect, though they stand out more. Home Depot had a a similar thing in near the gardening gloves that was much slimmer and shorter cuffs, but the same kind of lining.

I've been reusing some powdered nitrile work gloves that ran really low and I haven't seen in stock again anywhere. I leave them out to sun on the dash and don't touch anything in the car, and of course tons of sanitizer all the time now that it's back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:01 pm

I don't know how long they'd last in a car here; I expect I'd want to get a box and take a few at a time when I left the house. If boxes are possible to come by.