Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Thad

Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Code: Select all

<a onclick="gaSendEvent('EpisodeSelect-ShowPage',document.location.href,'133205_50510669',{'hitCallback': function() {
              window.location.href='/podcast/gilbert-gottfried-amazing-colossal-podcast-premium/e/50510669?autoplay=true';
              }}); return 1;" class="desktopOnly play">Play</a>

Fuck. YOU.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 pm

I understand that everyone on Reddit had seemingly been hollering for Steam to change their chat UI to basically be a copy of Discord, and that's fine, I guess.

But the inability to remove mandatory categories from my friendslist, especially for individual games, is the stupidest fucking thing they've done in a while. All of my friendslist friends are now listed in fucking TRIPLICATE in the same damn list - first by the game they're playing, then by the category I personally set for them, then by the online/offline lists. The last one's not so bad, because hey at least they're at the bottom, but the insistence of forcing game categories, and at the top of the list, with no option to remove that, IS AS OBNOXIOUS AS FUCK, VALVE.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Add -nofriendsui to the command line in the Steam shortcut to get the old friends list back.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Mazian wrote:Add -nofriendsui to the command line in the Steam shortcut to get the old friends list back.

Saw that.

I assume this will be removed at some point, but I suppose it's a workaround for now.

It's silly, because I'm not predisposed to hate the change. The chat window wastes a lot of space on buttons and banners and the friendslist missing organization options are about the only issues. Adding Discord-like features is probably a nice thing overall, if it wasn't trapped behind a shit UI.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 am

It's not exactly a UI issue per se, but I had to drop pre-authorized payments for my cell phone and go back to manual payments, because the charge actually goes through on the last day possible, but I want to pay it immediately on generating a bill. There's no setting to change this.

WTF guys.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 am

You know what? Sometimes I want to use a scrollbar. By clicking. And possibly dragging.

You know why scrollbars are tiny and autohide and don't have arrows at the top and bottom on phones? Because they are goddamn phones.

I hate this shit where phone design infects desktops. There is no goddamn reason why I need to save horizontal pixels on my desktop. Give me a goddamn scrollbar that is always there, is wide enough for me to click on, and also has arrows at the top and bottom in case I want to move it more precisely than by dragging.

Like we've had since goddamn 1981 you fucking fucks.

Menubars, scrollbars -- just because a UI element is older than I am doesn't mean it's bad. Jesus Christ.

(oh I already complained about this in this thread, four years ago.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Not sure how weird this is but I was setting up my Home Depot credit card account and couldn't get past the first screen as it was asking for a "postal code" and required 7 digits. I called tech services and the guy I got said it was a thing happening today for some reason that the site was routing people through Canada and giving a different screen with their requirements.

He said it was just today, and it kept happening, but no one at his call center said it could possibly be a thing on their end. My thoughts are my ISP is doing something weird and it's just people using it? Proxy was off while I did it the first time, set it to route through america specifically when he gave me a different url that would redirect to a U.S. specific version and it was all good.

Postby Newbie » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:12 pm

I spent three years working at the Dep', and based on my recollection of their online employee platform ("the Apron"), the scenario you've presented makes perfect sense and is entirely characteristic of them.
tiny text

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:17 pm

That's even dumber because we only use six-character postal codes in Canada.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:05 pm

I've been calling a lot of government lines to set stuff up.

My healthcare provider has an automated system that it really tries to force you to use. When checking my member number prior to receiving the card but after coverage starts the system will read it to you as a single, large number.

So for Instance if your member number is 11005620040 you'll hear "eleven-billion, five-million, six hundred and twenty thousand, forty". And it's like, fast, really fast.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Blu-Ray menus, categorically, have the absolute worst designs I've ever seen in terms of conveying the difference between an option that's selected and an option that's set. Shit like "black text for selected, gray text for set" or "white underline for selected, blue rectangle for set".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:31 pm

Why oh WHY, can you only disable Discord email notifications by using what's basically the unsubscribe function on an email and not via any means in the actual client?

Seriously devs, fuck right off with that shit.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:00 pm

irs.gov wrote:We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:
  • We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

So, yeah, those two states really shouldn't share a common error message.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Tax time provides ample fodder for this thread.

So, okay. One of the fun little traps in the US tax code is this:

You get a certain amount deducted from every paycheck.

You get to decide how much.

But you're supposed to pay a certain percentage of what you're going to owe. And if you don't pay that much, you can be penalized for it.

So it's this fun game the IRS pays where you have to guess how much you're going to owe and if you guess wrong they'll fine you.

This can be a problem if, like us, a significant portion of your income is based on a quarterly bonus, and the amount of that bonus is variable and not consistent.

So anyway, this year I got hit with a $4 penalty, and here's where I come around to Unforgivable Sins of UI Design:

TurboTax gives me a lengthy series of prompts listing out mitigating factors that might allow me to waive the fee, and asking if I might be eligible based on those criteria.

Why is there no button for "I don't care, it's four fucking dollars, stop asking"?

Also it asks "Do you want to request an extension for your self-employment taxes?" before informing me that I don't owe any.

And it really likes to loop back around and ask me the same series of questions multiple times.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:03 pm

Thad wrote:And it really likes to loop back around and ask me the same series of questions multiple times.

Oh lordy, yes, Turbo Tax is so bad for this, lol.

I get that they're trying to double- and triple-check for the sake of harried folks who aren't the sharpest of apples though, so... yeah it's annoying as fuck, but I get it.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 pm

uBlock has taken to popping up a new tab to tell me it's blocked each popup.

... Thanks for that.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:01 pm

The Albertsons/Safeway site for vaccination appointment searches presents its UI like a mobile chat interface. Fine, that's everywhere, it's common, no problems. But it also has a fake effect to pretend the "assistant" is typing live, so every character of their messages appears letter by letter, like a dialogue box in a '90s RPG... and you have to wait for it to complete before clicking to the next step... and this repeats for every single location you want to check for an appointment.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Perhaps you'd rather get your shot from those FILTHY GODWIN DEVILS

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 am

Microsoft's tool for putting a Windows 10 installer on a USB stick doesn't check the size of the whole stick, just the first partition. If you put a stick in whose first partition is under 8GB, it will give you an error that you need a memory stick that's at least 8GB, no matter what the actual size of the full memory stick is.