Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Thad

Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Welp, healthcare.gov still sucks.

Got through the application, to the "Review & Sign" portion. Then it hung.

I started over from the main healthcare.gov index page. I logged in and went back to my application. It took me to the "Review & Sign" page. When I clicked OK, it kicked me back to the Income section and made me fucking fill it out again.

So I did, and then got back to "Review & Sign".

I noticed that, on the first page, it had my old E-Mail address listed, the one I don't want to use anymore. So I clicked "EDIT" to change it.

It kicked me back to the very beginning of the form. Which does not actually have any fucking place to change your fucking E-Mail address.

And then it made me fill out the whole fucking thing again from the beginning, with no way to skip ahead back to "Review & Sign", even though it's right the fuck there in the lefthand not-navbar.

I mean, when I say "fill out the whole fucking thing again", it DID mostly save my previous answers. So it was mostly just clicking "next" over and over again, not actually having to look paycheck stuff up again or anything. But still, what a monumental pain in the fucking ass.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Could be worse. You could live in Kentucky.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Okay how is there not a fucking standardized way to tell a screen keyboard "Hey, this field is for [a URL/an E-Mail address/etc.], so when I type a dot, don't put a fucking space after it"?

Or if there is, how come none of my fucking screen keyboards recognize it?

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Thad wrote:Okay how is there not a motherfucking standardized way to tell a screen keyboard "Hey, this field is for [a URL/an E-Mail address/etc.], so when I type a dot, don't put a motherfucking space after it"?

Or if there is, how come none of my motherfucking screen keyboards recognize it?

I'm pretty sure that exists to some extent and the default keyboard on my Samsung Galaxy S5 recognizes that.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:19 pm

My S6 does too. What screen keyboard are you using? I don't think I've ever seen this, only a thing where if you do two spaces in a row it assumes that's a new sentence and sticks a period before them.

Rico

Postby Rico » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Thad wrote:Okay how is there not a motherfucking standardized way to tell a screen keyboard "Hey, this field is for [a URL/an E-Mail address/etc.], so when I type a dot, don't put a motherfucking space after it"?

Or if there is, how come none of my motherfucking screen keyboards recognize it?

It's one of those theory vs. practice things. Theoretically any field you're typing in is going to be properly marked with android:inputType so you don't need to be able to have any control over it yourself. Ha ha ha.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:13 pm

I'd be fine with a filter that lets autocorrect ignore any word I start with http://. No, I really mean imgur, not imbue. And that random alphanumeric string is really that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 pm

TA wrote:My S6 does too. What screen keyboard are you using?

SwiftKey. I haven't found another one that doesn't feel like pulling teeth.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm on Win7 and have chosen not to free upgrade to 10 at this time.

Now I'm getting fucking pop-up ads from my own fucking OS. Holy shit they can fuck right off.

Fuck you Microsoft, this does not incentivize upgrading.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 pm

Mongrel wrote:I'm on Win7 and have chosen not to free upgrade to 10 at this time.

Now I'm getting motherfucking pop-up ads from my own motherfucking OS. Holy santorum they can assfuck right off.

assfuck you Microsoft, this does not incentivize upgrading.

Thankfully I haven't yet gotten this 'update' to my copy of Win7. I'm really hoping that by the time Win7 goes out of service, I can replace it with a Linux machine for gaming. I know that won't happen, but I really would like it to.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:35 pm

You know what would be great would be if I could click on a game in my Steam library and, instead of giving me the first couple of sentences of a barely-pertinent and strangely bitchy news article about the game from some random news site in 2013, it would show a synopsis of what the fuck exactly it is. I don't really want to click over to the game's store page, wait for it to load, and then read a webpage that's designed for a browser inside my Steam window.

I mean, yes, in an ideal world I would not have a Steam library full of games that I'm not entirely sure what they are. But that ship has fucking sailed.

Rico

Postby Rico » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

One of the pieces of software I use heavily for work has the delete and recalculate buttons right next to each other. The confirmation which pops up when pressing either one is "Do you really want to perform this action?".

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Peoplesoft.

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:17 pm

It would sure be nice if there were a more granular way to control what shows up in Google Maps directions.

Like, hey Google Maps, I already know how to get on the fucking 101 from my house; is there a way we can maybe not take up an entire page on directions?

Clicking and dragging my starting point before I choose Print doesn't help either. If I click right on the freeway, then it just takes up the whole first page telling me how to get on the freeway from whatever the nearest onramp is to where I clicked. (If I've got maps turned on. And also, there used to be a way to tell it to include the smaller maps but not the giant map at the top of the first page; I don't see an option for that anymore.)

Most times I can just tell it to print page 2 and that works, but sometimes it ends up broken up all weirdly.

(And the main reason I've gone back to printing maps instead of using my phone is that fucking around with a phone while driving is the absolute goddamn worst. A tablet is moderately better but still subject to locking itself, switching orientation if you set it down the wrong way, or changing what's on the screen if you bump it in the wrong place. A piece of paper behaves fucking predictably and the maximum amount of fiddling required to get it to display correctly is turning it over or rotating it.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Healy wrote:Figure this maybe goes here: My new optometrist's website is an unmitigated disaster

I assume this is what happens when you pay your web dev $16.32

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 10, 2016 12:10 am

If you try to connect your 2DS to a router that's using an unsupported encryption scheme, your 2DS will helpfully tell you that's why it can't connect.

If, however, you've already connected it to a router, and then the router's settings change, it will not tell you why it is now unable to connect to the router it could previously connect to.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 12, 2016 11:59 pm

I've been using Titanium Backup for years, so I decided hey, I may as well spring for the pro version.

The pro version will not restore any backups from the free version.

So I uninstalled it, obviously, to roll back to the free version so I could restore my damn backups.

Well, apparently since I just bought it, "uninstall" means "ask for a refund". Well okay then! I did not intend to ask for a refund; I figured I'd just restore all my backups and then reinstall the pro patch. But what the hell, okay, if both the dev and Google are going to be so insistent about not wanting my money, I guess I'll take it back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 13, 2016 12:23 am

Another entry already:

Cyanogenmod's launcher Trebuchet.

I spent a fucking half-hour trying to figure out how to add another homescreen.

It turns out that yes, it IS as simple as dragging and dropping an icon past the edge of the last screen (which is, I assume, why you can't find any fucking documentation explaining it anywhere) -- but only on the right. If you want to add another screen to the left of all the other homescreens, you can't; you have to add it to the right, then go into the menu that lets you reorder the screens and move it all the way to the left.

...I fucking hate flashing my phone.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 pm

The registration page for Nexus mods has the place to input your birthdate AFTER the "submit registration" button (unlike... all the other information required to register).

Hopefully I won't have to roll up a new reg (it appears new registrations are manually verified... and if that's the case who knows if they'll allow one with a birthdate of today since the site has OMG ADULT CONTENT), FFS.