Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Thad

Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Code: Select all

<a onclick="gaSendEvent('EpisodeSelect-ShowPage',document.location.href,'133205_50510669',{'hitCallback': function() {
              window.location.href='/podcast/gilbert-gottfried-amazing-colossal-podcast-premium/e/50510669?autoplay=true';
              }}); return 1;" class="desktopOnly play">Play</a>

Fuck. YOU.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 pm

I understand that everyone on Reddit had seemingly been hollering for Steam to change their chat UI to basically be a copy of Discord, and that's fine, I guess.

But the inability to remove mandatory categories from my friendslist, especially for individual games, is the stupidest fucking thing they've done in a while. All of my friendslist friends are now listed in fucking TRIPLICATE in the same damn list - first by the game they're playing, then by the category I personally set for them, then by the online/offline lists. The last one's not so bad, because hey at least they're at the bottom, but the insistence of forcing game categories, and at the top of the list, with no option to remove that, IS AS OBNOXIOUS AS FUCK, VALVE.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Add -nofriendsui to the command line in the Steam shortcut to get the old friends list back.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Mazian wrote:Add -nofriendsui to the command line in the Steam shortcut to get the old friends list back.

Saw that.

I assume this will be removed at some point, but I suppose it's a workaround for now.

It's silly, because I'm not predisposed to hate the change. The chat window wastes a lot of space on buttons and banners and the friendslist missing organization options are about the only issues. Adding Discord-like features is probably a nice thing overall, if it wasn't trapped behind a shit UI.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 am

It's not exactly a UI issue per se, but I had to drop pre-authorized payments for my cell phone and go back to manual payments, because the charge actually goes through on the last day possible, but I want to pay it immediately on generating a bill. There's no setting to change this.

WTF guys.