Android Apps

Thad

Android Apps

Postby Thad » Fri May 16, 2014 3:06 pm

So what should I get with my $22 Amazon app credit? I note the Amazon app store is, as you'd expect, not as broad as the Google Play store, and in particular it doesn't have the homebrew apps I'd like to throw some support at (ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, etc.). They also don't have Final Fantasy 6, which spoils my plan of finding out just how terrifying it is firsthand at no cost to myself.

Healy

Re: Android Apps

Postby Healy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Hmm, can you get Choice of Games through there? I haven't played many but I hear most of them are really good. Choice of the Deathless picked up a couple noms in this year's XYZZY Awards, and Choice of Kung Fu and Slammed! both looked pretty interesting from the LPs I've read.

(Don't get Heroes Rise, though, it is mostly wretched and awful.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Appears Amazon has them but they're mostly free-to-play anyhow.

Which is fine; I intended for this thread to be for any recommended apps, not just the ones I can get with Amazon credit.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Not really; some of them are free-to-play all the way through, but most only give you a chapter or two before they ask for your money. Unless something's different on Amazon?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Fucking Cell Phones

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:59 am

Amazon AppStore is doing a whole bunch of free apps at once for the next two days for some reason. Of special note is SketchBook Pro, which I haven't seen as a free app before (only the normal paid version).

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Updated phone and tablet. Decided to try and find a new launcher since I've been rocking ADW since Gingerbread.

And...I really haven't found anything else that I like as much as ADW.

Trebuchet (which I think is just a de-branded Google Now) and Apex are both pretty good and similar to ADW but won't let you sort your apps into categories. I think Nova is pretty similar but I didn't spend much time with it; it's got the long-press timing wrong and I just couldn't deal with that long enough to get more of a feel for it.

I like Aviate, and I particularly like how it sorts my apps into categories all by itself without needing me to do it, but I don't like how it limits my number of desktops (just 1 standard homescreen; swipe left for some bullshit I don't need, or right for categories and then right one more time for alphabetical app listing). Why can't I just have a drawer and multiple desktops? Also, I don't like the shit where it offers me recommended apps. It is a launcher's job to give me access to my fucking software, not try to sell me shit.

Which is pretty much the beginning, middle, and end of my problem with EverythingMe, which looks pretty excellent aside from the fucking ads splattered all over everywhere.

I kinda like Smart Launcher for its sheer minimalism but it really doesn't do any of the things I want in a launcher.

Buzz...there's probably a theme for Buzz Launcher that I'll like, out there somewhere. But none of the ones on the default screen look like what I want.

EDIT: Ooh. Go Launcher might be what I'm looking for. Provided all these ads stay gone once I get rid of them.
EDIT 2: No, probably not; some of the ads stick around and it looks like you can't add your own categories to the drawer.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:00 am

Fuck it, going back to ADW for my phone.

But it's not a great fit for my tablet. (Lots of homescreens and a categorized app drawer are great on a 5" screen but not nearly so useful on a 10.5" one.) Aviate would actually be really good on a large tablet (the damn "suggested apps" notwithstanding) but it's not compatible with the one I've got.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:58 am

Themer looks promising; switched to that on my phone. Unfortunately that's another one that doesn't seem to have a tablet version. This seems to be a trend among launchers that would actually work really well on a tablet.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:04 am

Pretty happy with Themer on my phone. Still haven't found anything that's quite what I'm looking for for my tablet.

I wish I could combine SmartLauncher's drawer with a stock homescreen. Or get Lucid Launcher to just fucking show the tray of my favorite apps like most themes do, instead of requiring an extra click in the corner for no damn reason. Or that Holo Launcher's drawer, with the "APPS" and "WIDGETS" tab, let you add tabs to categorize your apps. Or that ADW wasn't just so slow and dated.

I should have kept better notes on all the other ones I tried and why they all pissed me off for various reasons. (Most of the time it was ads.)

Basically I wish somebody would fucking decouple the app drawer from the home screen so that I could mix and match, since I've found a bunch of launchers that have a good drawer but a bad homescreen or the other way around but haven't managed to find any that do both right.

Aside from Themer, which, again, has no tablet version.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Anybody got a good recommendation for a shopping list app that will sync between my phone and my wife's? I know Out of Milk is the best-known app in this space, but I also know there are a lot of alternatives and I'd like to know which one is least likely to be tracking all my shopping habits.

sei

Postby sei » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:48 pm

Pretty shoe-horn-y, but Trello checklists probably wouldn't be correlating your input w/ consumer analysis.

It's great via desktop browser and fine on Android. It sucked on iOS 2 years ago, but might be good there now.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:46 pm

Any browser recommendations?

Postby Newbie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

I was using Brave at one point, but I stopped for reasons I cannot now remember.
tiny text

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:18 pm

Despite some recent questionable decisions, Firefox still has a better extension library than mobile Chromium. Though that's largely because it supports desktop extensions whose UIs don't work terribly well on mobile.