HOW WAS YOUR DAY

beatbandito

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby beatbandito » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 am

So, as I collected documents to get my fancy federal drivers license / SIN I learned that my social security card wasn't in with the rest of my important stuff. I keep these things secure enough I don't think it was taken deliberately, but I haven't had a reason I can think of to bring that card out of my house in months if not years, meaning that ultimately, it could be anywhere for basically any amount of time.

So pains of replacing it aside, can anyone suggest a service for checking and locking down on my personal identity stuff? I've been lead towards an experian report and all that comes with that, but there are enough people here who know security I'd love to get some opinions on the best option.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Well, obviously I'm speaking from my background, but the main thing to worry about is still just credit fraud, so an Experian report (and follow-up, if any) is probably most of what you need to do.

Up here you can pay to have your account locked up such that no credit check can be run on your profile without you being called first, and I would 100% recommend that even to people whose info HASN'T been stolen, but I understand the process for that is a bit different down in the US (our main credit bureau up here is Transunion) so I can't really give you any details on that that you can't just google up.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Experian does seem to have been the way to go. I did individual annual checks through each of the three and Experian had the best (trial) pricing to put all the information together with the credit scores as well as provide other features related to it.

There is an option to credit lock through either Experian or TransUnion (or probably Equifax too, but despite them possibly now being the best due to public outcry for reform, I still have doubts in my mind for giving them any more info than they already have) for $25 - $20 a month which I will probably not go through with since everything looks okay and that is a good chunk of change for a monthly cost.
I may have freaked out a little more than I needed to over this since I have been prior been good amount keeping track of the big ID cards (social, state ID, birth certificate & passport) and the first failure lining up with actual attempts at fraud on my bank card.

Now I can go back to remembering why I hate seeing my credit score. Payment History & Amount of Debt are holding me back because I've never gone into debt or needed credit. If I had waited until I had enough money to afford the car I wanted and paid in cash, I would be more of a 'risk' than I am right now, and if I sign up for a credit card with an insane APR and max out the limit today, I'll be more reliable.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah, credit is kind of wacky in that it really doesn't work well with unknowns.

Also, that price to lock your file is insane. I pay $6 here and that's good for five years (my guess is that it's legislated here). In any case I am supposed to get free permanent credit monitoring at some point, since the government lost my credit data a few years back and that's (supposed to be) the main comp.

Actually I should follow that up - it's been ages since I heard anything on the class-action portion.