HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Upthorn

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Upthorn » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Lyrai wrote:Yesterday a dude yelled HEY TOWELHEAD and started towards a family at the grocery store. I put myself between him and the family and just kind of stood there, internally ready to just throw up. He swore and stormed off.

Today management at the grocery store asked me to calm down and "not cause incidents like that."

If you get fired for intervening to prevent conflicts between customers you should absolutely contact every reporter you can find with "I was fired for preventing a racist assault on store property."
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 pm

"Next time instead of causing an incident like deescalating a hate crime in progress I'll cause an incident by just grabbing the nearest heavy object and beating a man about the face, head, neck, and shoulders while singing the Star-Spangled Banner at the top of my lungs."

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Upthorn wrote:
Lyrai wrote:Yesterday a dude yelled HEY TOWELHEAD and started towards a family at the grocery store. I put myself between him and the family and just kind of stood there, internally ready to just throw up. He swore and stormed off.

Today management at the grocery store asked me to calm down and "not cause incidents like that."

If you get fired for intervening to prevent conflicts between customers you should absolutely contact every reporter you can find with "I was fired for preventing a racist assault on store property."

If this seems like a concern, and your store has security cameras (grocery store, seems likely), and you have the ability to get your hands on that footage ... snagging a copy in anticipation of a public blowup might be worth doing.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:18 pm

You did the right thing, Lyrai.

Mongrel wrote:*Buge-Signal*

Saw this last night just two blocks down, on Mortimer.

Heh. I bet it's the same house that had this sign for the provincial election:

Büge wrote:Image

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:13 am

My budget and my OS's feature set have aligned so that it is time for me to purchase a new graphics card. I'm thinking I might get a FreeSync monitor to go with it.

I decided to go to Fry's. Because while I've never liked going to Fry's, it's the only damn brick-and-mortar store around here where you can buy computer components, and I would just as soon keep it in business.

It appears I was too late. While the store is still open, and there was no signage to suggest any intention to close, it is clearly about to close. When I went to frys.com and looked for graphics cards available in-store, and only found one, I figured well, the Fry's website has always been janky; there's no way there's only one graphics card in stock in the entire store.

There was only one graphics card in stock in the entire store.

The place has been gutted. It looks like they've still got kitchen appliances and TVs to sell, and there are still some computer monitors on display, but if you're planning to shop for components there, you're shit out of luck. Which is bad news the next time one of my case fans goes out.

There were still a few cases on shelves, but I didn't see any fans, or CPUs, or RAM, or even keyboards and mice. Just empty aisle after empty aisle.

It wasn't looking that bad even eight months ago, the last time I went in there (because one of my case fans went out). That time, I showed up in the middle of a weekday (it was at the end of my vacation) and the store was still well-stocked, and there were people in there. There was a Street Fighter 2 mini-cabinet, and people were playing on it; I still kinda regret not hanging around to play next.

That cabinet's still there. It's sitting on the floor, unplugged, next to the aisle that still has a "Wii U" sign on it.

It was fucking depressing. I never particularly liked Fry's, but it provided an important service that nobody else does. Now there's no such place; if I need a computer part, well, I better hope it's nothing I need any sooner than two-day shipping.

There's another Fry's, or at least there was; I'm guessing it's probably in pretty similar shape (though it's possible they decided to consolidate the two stores and they're moving everything from the Tempe one to the Phoenix one). The rub is, it's a 30-mile drive, and I can't think of a whole lot of scenarios where it'd be worth that.

I like the convenience of online ordering, obviously. But aside from scenarios where you need a part right away, there are a lot of cases where there's a benefit to being able to actually see what you're buying (and, in some cases, touch it) before you buy it.

And anything that gives more market power to Amazon is a bad thing.

I guess tomorrow I'll swing by Best Buy. I don't know what their graphics card selection is like, if any, but they should at least have some monitors for me to look at.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 am

Thad wrote:And anything that gives more market power to Amazon is a bad thing.

I guess tomorrow I'll swing by Best Buy. I don't know what their graphics card selection is like, if any, but they should at least have some monitors for me to look at.

In my experience Best Buy should have a pretty decent spread of graphics cards. If they don't have what you need, you can always hit up Newegg to avoid giving money to Bezos.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Thad wrote:It appears I was too late. While the store is still open, and there was no signage to suggest any intention to close, it is clearly about to close.

The same is very much true of the Seattle-area store; it has gone from well-stocked earlier in the year to a barren wasteland as of about a month ago. It's the only Fry's in the state, and we have no MicroCenters, so my last resource for "dang it I need a power supply today" is about to vanish.

Not entirely surprising with Amazon HQ just up the road, but I'll miss it for the same reasons you will.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:30 pm

This all seems so weird to me up here, where we have a similar chain called Canada Computers which continues to thrive (as well as Best Bomb). I guess I'm old enough that I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of an entire major, commonly-consumed, retail sector having no dedicated physical footprint whatsoever. It's like trying to imagine, say, auto parts, or appliance stores having absolutely no local shops either.

I could see this as a space for independents to step in. Canada Computers basically started as a local Toronto store a little under 20 years ago, when we didn't have a chain like that. Also, in Toronto at least, there's dozens and dozens of small one-off independent shops. Perhaps there's still some stores like that where you are?

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Mongrel wrote:I guess I'm old enough that I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of an entire major, commonly-consumed, retail sector having no dedicated physical footprint whatsoever.

Remember Radio Shack?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Büge wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I guess I'm old enough that I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of an entire major, commonly-consumed, retail sector having no dedicated physical footprint whatsoever.

Remember Radio Shack?

Not as anything more than a jumble/gadget/kinda-sorta-electronics shop. They'd lost whatever somewhat-defined identity they had by the end of the 80's.

I think they probably could have morphed into to the "Electronics Department Store" model that Best Buy basically follows (i.e. they could have been Best Buy) if they hadn't been trapped in all those small (tiny, even) locations.

In any case, Radio Shack (sorry, "The Source", lol), never sold anything you couldn't get elsewhere.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:00 am

The boards were down lol

I was a customer, sorry, I should have clarified that. I was a customer during the incident, and I walked in the next day because they're the only store around that still has Key Lime ANYTHING for drinks and was called over by a guy in a suit and tie, which in a grocery store means he is management and given the lines. I didn't say anything, just kind of nodded and he walked off. I felt like I was being pranked. "Surely no one's cowardly enough to say 'don't defend someone from racism' out of fear of causing An Incident"

The well wishes are appreciated.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:14 am

Fuck that. Write a letter, request their official company policy in writing.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 am

For whatever reason (my theory is humans are actual, literal dumpster fires and the fumes are causing us to hallucinate that we're sapient mammals instead) the typical human response to someone confronting another person who is causing a problem is to blame the person who is confronting them. It's sort of like victim blaming but not exactly. You see it in all cases, ranging from racism, protesters, or people confronting child rapists and pedophiles. I guess the idea is if a bad person is confronted, they will get mad, and you don't want to make people mad, so instead you should just let bad people rape and abuse others.

(Though the whole "communities/families almost always protect and enable pedophiles that rape kids" topic is a whole other thing.)
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:46 am

If someone's willing to stand up to somebody else doing the wrong thing then they're probably willing to stand up to whatever you've been doing too.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 am

I went to a bar-cade that had advertised having a cosplay contest, dressed in my Miriam costume. Some people I knew also showed up from Shovel Knight and FF15. The contest was won by one of two Macho Mans. :/

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 am

We had a snowstorm yesterday, something in the neighborhood of 6" - 8" in one day. I left work and waited for the bus. Peering down the street, I saw that it was stuck in the snow. Walking home, I checked the transit center for my next bus, which wasn't there. Further along, I saw it also stuck in the snow. This morning the busses were on snow detour and didn't even pretend to go to my neighborhood.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:49 pm

I don't understand how Miriam cosplay can possibly lose
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:41 pm

WE HAD A SNOWSTORM YESTERDAY, SOMETHING IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF 6-8" IN ONE DAY, AND I LOOVE IT AND MY PUPPY SAW SNOW FOR THE FIRST TIME AND SHE LOOOVED IT AND THEN SHE GOT COLD AND I PUT HER IN MY COAT SINCERELY NIKU AGE 6

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:18 am

My father's memorial service was today. He passed on September 25th after the one of the world's slowest-progressing cases of Stephen Hawking's disease (diagnosed in 1981). I spoke in the service. I'd appreciate it if my friends here would take the time to read what I said (link).
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:09 am

It takes talent and love to write an elegy whose emotions shine through to touch other people the way you have.