HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Yoji

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Yoji » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:42 pm

I've been driving since 2003, but I've never gotten in trouble with a cop until today. And all because I wanted to look at a map and see if Newport Ave went all the way down to Edinger. Spoiler Alert: It doesn't.

If nothing else, I guess it'll motivate me to finish engineering that steering wheel mount.

(I thought about posting this in Shittier Days, but it felt like it'd be improper and whiny next to Friday's most shittiest of days. Hell, it feels improper and whiny posting here, but I'm tired and upset so shut up.)
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Today we drove past a restaurant literally called "Eurasian Food."

HELLO HUMAN PEOPLE WE HAVE GOOD FLAVOURED HUMAN CONSUMABLE NUTRITION PLEASE ENTER AND TRANSACT WITH US

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:09 pm

welp, the headphones Defenestration sent me lasted about four days before they snapped.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Just like my interns!

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:21 am

Büge and Brentai: Were you wearing them wrong? Or do you have a big head?

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:04 am

They broke in half as I was taking them off my head.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:16 pm

:( Well, I guess Beats really are just pieces of shit then. I assumed that they were incredibly overpriced midrange pieces, but clearly not.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:55 am

The good part: One of my family's dogs has actually been eating again, after a week of barely eating. (She's gotten alarmingly thin and my mom's been convinced that she's going to die soon since she's like three years past the typical life span of a Husky, but my best friend figured out that she'll eat if she's shut alone in a room with the food.)

The annoying part: Apparently between cold weather, fewer car trips, and my typical driving duration being ~5 minutes, I managed to drain my car's battery completely and had to get it jumped. Thankfully it was just annoying because my roadside assistance thing covers them sending someone out to jump my car, and afterwards I just ordered one of the industrial-strength portable jump starters that the guy had.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 pm

I have a niece.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Büge wrote:I have a niece.

Hold onto your butts when she gets old enough to play video games. When my nieces discovered Minecraft, I was getting calls every day like I was their own personal wiki.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 pm

The answers my nieces and nephews were given to most of life's questions were "God did it," and when this was unsatisfactory, "I don't know ask your uncle." After a decade or so of this the questions have advanced from how crayons are made to how financial aid works.

Unrelated, but last night I woke up to the cat making a racket, followed by a series of ricochets, a thunk, a yowl, and Des sleepily muttering "simple geometry." I half wondered if I'd dreamt that, until this morning, when I found a pill bottle she had bounced through two rooms into the kitchen, where it must have harmlessly struck the offending animal in pitch darkness. I think it may have hit Governor Connally on the way. So I dunno I guess she's getting better at Hanzo.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Well, that was a good laugh to start the day with.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Got creamed by a car while on my bicycle (100% his fault - he made a left in front of me while I was travelling straight and inside a marked bicycle lane). I'm mostly okay (shoulder's gonna be sore for a while, I expect). My bike's okay. Blah.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Glad you didn't die horribly, Mongrel.

It's kind of amazing how oblivious must drivers are to bikers.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm

There's actual practical reasons related to the way humans process motion and information for that. I tend to be more aware on the motorbike due to the obviously higher lethality potential, but "morons turns left in front of you" is one of the top causes of accidents with bikes/motorbikes.

This is British, and thus backwards for us normal-driving folk, but is also the best video describing the phenomenon of WHY bikers and cyclists are invisible that I've ever seen.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:04 am

I got fed up with the fucking world and am punking around like a crazy hermit in the desert for a while. Again. So basically Tuesday.

How ironic that something something horses.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:04 am

I really do love it here. It's beautiful and cruel and everything is constantly trying to kill you. Kind of like everywhere else, but more honest about it. I never should have left.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 am

Sharkey wrote:I got fed up with the fucking world and am punking around like a crazy hermit in the desert for a while. Again. So basically Tuesday.

In a car? Where's your bindle?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 pm

That looks like a sweet pad. You have a wood burning stove and I am jealousssssss.

I assume you're phoneposting - or do you have actual internet?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:36 pm

That was earlier up to devil's gate. Not my place, or anyone else's, really. Claim is long expired. We gave it a little fixing up last year and it doesn't seem to have had many visitors since. Great to get away to for a while, and basically nobody knows it's there. Lots of weird old places like that hidden around here if you know where to look. I'm still wandering around. Probably going to blow a week or so in the stillwaters and then maybe try to get up to the claim my family keeps on shoshone peak, if the snow isn't impassable. Hopefully the cabin there is also undamaged. Snow has been crazy this year, though. I may have to bring a pair of telemarks.

I'm back in town on actual Internet for now, but you can be miles and miles from another human being out here and still find LoS to a cell tower somewhere with a little hiking. I'll send pics if I don't fall down a mineshaft or some such dumbassery.

My mind kind of came apart a bit after this last year but for whatever reason this helps glue it back together. My parents were back-to-basics hippie survivalist types and I guess it's like going back to something familiar, though the maine woods and the high desert have basically nothing in common. I dunno, I should have done this sooner just for the sake of sanity. And it gives me a chance to check up and make sure all my bolt-holes are still there if shit ever goes full Red Dawn or whatever.