HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Büge

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Büge » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:I sort of laughed and smiled a little inside at the little reminder of, oh yeah, this is what it's like to spend time with plain old normal people who have things to do rather than sitting around with their heads up the internet's bunghole all day. Feels good man.

So people who are concerned about institutional racism and use terms like "white privilege" to describe the ways in which white people benefit over people of colour are... abnormal?

And by the way, "white privilege" as a term dates back to at least 1988 with Peggy McIntosh's essay White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 pm

No.

It's not abnormal to tackle a widespread problem. What's abnormal is to forget that not everyone knows all the specific technical terms related to said problem. Because we also occupy yet another bubble of privilege of a different sort, one where we're free to spend so much time idly discussing the various problems of the world that we internalize all the related academic jargon, forgetting that it's even jargon in the first place.

Yes, it feels healthy and normal to get outside this bubble from time to time.

Most people there, of all races, agreed white privilege was a legitimate thing, hell... it wasn't most, it was everyone - one of the few things I saw everyone agree about. Which was actually really encouraging. They just didn't know the specific term, because online talks about it don't occupy vast portions of their daily lives.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Since my son started going to preschool, I've had to get up earlier than I've been used to; shower, pick his clothes, prepare breakfast and lunch for him and my wife, all that stuff. My first alarm goes off around 6:00am, and depending on the time of the year, that means I'm up slightly earlier than the sun.

I also recently saw a thing on TV about the recent discoveries regarding Pluto. Among other things, they described conditions on the surface of the world, like how it's basically really cold and dark because of its distance from the sun. To help give an idea what it's like, they cut to a misty beach about 20 minutes before dawn, when it's just bright enough to see but everything was still dark and grey. "This is not a bad approximation of what high noon on Pluto might look like."

Call me crazy, but sometimes it's fun to pretend I'm waking up on Pluto. At least, until Kiddo bursts that bubble when he wakes up, runs squealing into the bathroom, and tries to climb in the shower and sit on my feet.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Raking. Raking. Endless raking.

Pause. Look up.

The Deer.

It's him.

He's staring right at me, his eyes aflame.

I raise my rake, now my weapon.

"I see you, you motherfucker!" I scream, frothing.

The Deer smiles. From behind him, ten more.

"Is that all the force you could muster?!" I monologue. "After all this time, only this pitiful ragtag band of misfit rejects? Don't make me laugh!"

They advance quickly, never breaking formation. Hooves strike gravel in perfect crunching symphony. I sport a rictus grin and crouch low, leg muscles trembling.

The Deer stops. Twenty feet away. Less.

A crow calls. Once. Twice.

The ten spring forward, and die in the same instant, blood spraying upwards and outwards in perfect pretty circles. Their bodies hit the dirt a moment later. My rake has not a single drop of blood on it, but one prong is now slightly bent.

The Deer glances at the corpses for a moment, unperturbed. His smile remains.

"Is that the best you could find?" I ask, smirking.

The Deer moves one hoof slightly.

Ten skeletons rip from the flesh and spin at incredible speed directly at me. Behind them, the Deer pulls his necromantic strings.

Three go down, pulverized to bone dust, before my rake snaps in two from the strain. I flip backwards three times and pick up the car, swinging it like a bat at the horrors still animate.

Four more are reduced to nothing. A fifth gets close enough to graze me. I turn his skull into fragments with my fist.

Two left, circling warily. I flick my eyes back and forth between them.

No. They are merely a distraction. I realize too late.

The Deer has vanished.

I hear the impact of his hooves on my back before I feel the pain. Coughing, spitting blood, I roll on the asphalt away. Not fast enough. A skeletal hoof descends, blotting out my vision.

The blow never lands.

I open my eyes to see the undead beast frozen above me. It slowly withdraws the hoof.

Confused, I look to the Deer, standing serenely, still smiling. Some of my blood is on his hooves.

With one small motion he withdraws his minions. Looking directly at me, he nods once.

I understand. This was merely a message. He could kill me at any time he chooses. He allows me to live so that I may suffer.

I get to my feet. He has won this round.

I nod back, acknowledging his victory and my defeat. The Deer turns his back and slowly walks away, his skeletons sinking back into the earth.

"Shit," I say. "I dented my fender."
ImageImageImage

atog

Postby atog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:20 pm

DIREWOLF FOR SALE. For all your undead deer needs. Answers to "Nymeria". Ask no questions. $Valar Morghulis OBO. U pickup.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:07 pm

I visited a friend whom I haven't seen in three years. It's amazing how time just sort of falls away and you resume where you left off. :)

He also treated me to bibimbap. :D

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:03 pm

In the MTG thread I was talking about an old comic store owner I knew. Dan Barclay.

Dan was one of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met; he was basically the Good Mirror Universe version of the Simpsons comic book guy. But like many gamers who open their own store, he had zero business acumen and ran it into the ground.

Everyone who knew Dan loved him and we loved to play at his store. He was always warm, and happy, and smiling. He'd give you the shirt off his back (he had enough hair... he'd stay warm) and he always tried to make everyone feel welcome. We'd throw money at the store... when he actually did manage have proper stock.

I decided to try and look him up and this old cached page from a long-gone site from 2009 is the only trace I can find of his existence on earth. I called around the one or two people I knew still in the game scene in Guelph and they hadn't seen him in ages either.

I guess I'm a bit sad and worried about the guy now. Maybe I'll never know what happened.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

I posted a Tom Tomorrow strip on the MTG forums, in reference to a conversation, describing it as "a classic".

One of the board's kneejerk GOP tools ("I keep telling you guys! I'm not a GOP stooge, I'm a libertarian!") got incredibly angry that I dared to compare Tom Tomorrow to "Shakespeare, Locke, Alcott, Austen, Asimov, Orwell, Tolkien, Cervantes, Lee, Bradbury, Doyle, Golding, Twain, and etc."

So, at random intervals throughout the afternoon I've just been erupting in laughter whenever that reply crosses my mind.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:15 pm

This probably isn't very original, but a buddy of mine and I have a running gag about sending each other "dick pics", where it's just guys named Dick.

I'm wondering how long this can go on before we run out of famous Dicks (as opposed to famous dicks, of which there's an unlimited supply).

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I assume you've already shared pics of these:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Actually he told me today we couldn't keep going because it was eating all his mobile data. :sadlol:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Starr and I are both tired of being tired and sick of being sick.

Bleah.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 pm

I've been rejected for three jobs after interviews. I'm miserable.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am

That's a rough one, hng. There's a lot of overqualified people out there, but just keep it up. Having been on a few hiring committees now, it's probably not so much they rejected you as a committee of people argued for a couple hours until they ultimately compromised on a different candidate.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 pm

Ugh. The one that I got the closest with (a second interview) had three other openings get listed. I applied... And got flat out rejected as "not meeting the qualifications" despite the listing being word for word the same. Not going to lie, I'm devastated.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm

It's our Mongatog tenth wedding anniversary today.

So far so good... :B

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pm

That's a lot of years! Congrats!

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Also, nice job getting hitched on the fourteenth. Halved the gift budget for everyone involved!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Got a $15 off coupon for Uber and Starr actually needed to lug some heavy stuff downtown in a way that's too awkward for taking the subway so I figured I'd try everyone's favourite neo-slavemasters (the cabs in our city are generally trying to kill both riders and non-riders, while charging some of the highest rates in North America for the privilege, so I don't exactly sympathize with them either - seriously I think I've averaged using a cab once a decade or so, since it's the dead last option after walking, cycling, motorbiking, catching a ride with someone, or taking our still-pretty-decent public transit system).

After close to an hour of trying to make the damn thing work I gave up (there were various annoyances, but the breaking point was that it never confirmed my mobile number, even though I kept getting the texts), by which point it was borderline too-late. Will probably end up calling a regular cab in the morning, which is going to completely fuck my sleep schedule. Yay!

EDIT: Lyft on the other hand does appear to work (mostly) fine.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 pm

I - I think - pinched a nerve in my back getting something from the fridge this morning.

Pretty much the only position that is not painful now is lying down, on my side. This is going to fun!