Don't
FUCK
IT
UP

(Good luck man)

Niku

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Niku » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Dfiu? You're just talkin' nonsense, fella!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:42 am

Good luck.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 pm

A brief history of mental health in my life:

1999 - I'm fine and I don't need pills.

2005 - I'm fine but I want pills.

2010 - I'm not fine, but I don't want pills.

2017 - I'm definitely not fine, and I need pills.

My first real panic attack and it's still going on four days later. Fortunately I live in a country where at 8pm I can see a doctor I've never talked to before and get xanax. Unfortunately I live in a country where any kind of consistent help will require regular time off from work and a lot of money.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:43 am

Good luck, man.

I haven't had any full-on panic attacks but I've still got more-frequent-than-I'd-like bouts of anxiety and elevated heart rate. Which is pretty ironic considering all this is happening now that I'm finally in a stable situation and don't have much of anything to worry about. (I mean, aside from general state-of-the-world stuff.) It's like all the uncertainty of the past nine years has finally caught up with me, now that it's gone. I mean, it's not like I wasn't in a constant state of worry when I was unemployed, it's just...it wasn't like this.

The last couple of times I've played Super Mario Bros 3 with my nephew, I had to quit after a level or two because it stressed me out too much. I am not really prepared to accept that as my new normal.

I guess that probably doesn't help or make you feel any better. Just commiserating. You probably don't need me to tell you you're not alone going through that kind of thing, but sometimes it can feel that way.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 am

A few months back the guy in the unit below us in this building complained about some noise at night. Apparently he's a light sleeper. Some of what he was talking about sounded weird as fuck and I had no clue what he was on about, but we did make some noise a couple times and of course Starr and I live a weird schedule, so since then we made more of a conscious effort to try and make sure that we were keeping quiet, that there weren't any loud noises, etc. and barring a few accidents and slip ups once or twice a month (i.e. like, me dropping a chair by accident or having a loud convo on teamspeak) it's been fine and we hadn't seen the guy since he first came up. In fact I hadn't seen him around and thought that maybe he'd moved out.

Tonight the guy came back. A couple nights ago there might've been something that could have constituted a slip-up in terms of noise, but it was dead quiet here last night and tonight. Yet dude was flipping way way out, as only a man who hasn't sleept properly in weeks can, saying he can hear us walking through the ceiling and has for weeks. Only... we walk around slowly in our bare feet or slippers and nobody stomps or runs or anything - it's very soft. Plus the building is OLD, it's fucking THICK. The maintenance is shit and I worry about the state of the foundations, but that doesn't affect the thickness of the floor between the fifth and sixth floors, which is several feet and probably includes a pretty hefty layer of solid concrete. Shit, even if he's somehow right I am not going to stop WALKING in my own apartment. I am not Aang - I can't whip up a ball of air to hoverspin myself over to the pissoir.

So now I have to consider the possibility that this guy isn't just hypersensitive, but plain out of his mind. He can complain to the city but I don't think they're going to do a damn thing if the complaint is "My upstairs neighbours are walking around their apartment at night". So this should be fun.

EDIT: For reference, my dad stays over here some nights (about 2 nights a week). He's asleep by 10:30 in the middle of our apartment (couch bed) and yet we don't wake him up.

François

Postby François » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 am

...maybe he's an antisemite trying to get you evicted?

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 am

I've had apartments where I could hear the person living below me talking on the phone at night for hours, and it kept me up. I in no way blamed them for this or asked them to not talk in their apartment. Some apartment situations you just have to chalk up to "damn it, I live in an apartment."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:38 pm

François wrote:...maybe he's an antisemite trying to get you evicted?

Not with a giant hebrew-character tattoo on one arm he isn't!

I'm not worried, really, unless he starts trying to do crazy vigilante shit or something. We've lived here for 11 years and have never once been late with rent (priorities!), there's certainly city ordinances about noise, but it includes the word "reasonable" and talks about specific, expected examples like barking dogs, loud music, parties, etc. and not "someone walking around their home in an ordinary way", which again, I don't even think is what he's hearing. This is an old building - the concrete slab between floors is probably close to a foot thick and there's further space for ducting and maybe the power/phone lines. The WALLS are thick enough that can only hear people if they scream really loudly and the floor's got to be twice as thick. If a bylaw officer actually shows up and doesn't just blow the guy off, I feel confident enough about it that I will just tell them to go to the guys unit and we'll walk around like we normally do.

If he somehow has superman hearing and really can hear through all that when no one else can hear it, it's actually past the point where it's our responsibility.

I'm also wondering if he's the guy that semi-frequently smokes the HORRIBLE incredibly foul cheapass weed which wafts up to our apartment now and then - which doesn't bother us so much as question why anyone would smoke dead skunks rolled in bits of doormat. Like I know fuckall about weed and even I can tell that whoever is smoking that crap is buying the absolute bottom of the barrel stuff.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Silversong wrote:I've had apartments where I could hear the person living below me talking on the phone at night for hours, and it kept me up. I in no way blamed them for this or asked them to not talk in their apartment. Some apartment situations you just have to chalk up to "damn it, I live in an apartment."

I mean I have some sympathy for the guy because he's clearly losing his nut dude to lack of sleep. But what he's doing now isn't going to solve his problem.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:15 am

"Day" 2 of my second attempt in as many months to try to roll over my sleep schedule to normal-human hours. Woke up at 1 AM (Time for breakfast!) after sleeping on and off for 12 hours (and having stayed up for 24 before that). This should be interesting.

Honestly if I lived alone and didn't have to interact with the normal human world so much I would have just given up and stayed awake as long as I liked and slept as long as I liked some time ago. My body just does not want to live a 24 hour day.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Scene: Tustin MetroLink Station, lunch break time
Hardly Ideal: (pfff, I don't want to do cable assembly diagrams. Can't I get paid for making baby toys and Nerf gu- wait, who's that?)
Lost French Lady, with the accent and everything: Excuse me, can I get some help with the train? I need to get to LA Union Station, but I think I got off at the wrong stop.
HI: (Don't say "your sunglasses are amazing." Don't say "your sunglasses are amazing." Don't say "your sunglasses are amazing.")
HI: Uh, I don't really know much about the trains, but sure... looks like the MetroLink goes all the way up there. That's the white-ish train, not the blue Amtrak ones. Those ones are pretty much non-stop.
LFL: That's what I thought, but is this time right? It doesn't come for another... four hours? That's too long!
HI: Lemme check Google... huh, Maps suggests using an Uber. It's a 37 mile drive (wait, shit, I should be using kilometers) and looks like it'll cost about $50. It should be a straight shot up the 5 freeway over there.
LFL: I don't know what that is... Uber? (she pronounces it more like "Yoober") I think I have the app... they can find the station?
HI: Yeah, it's like a freelance taxi service.
LFL: Okay...
HI: Yeah, sorry about all that. This is the United States. We hate trains and think they're communist or something. At least, that's what my crazy uncle says.
LFL: Hah, okay. Thank you!
HI: Yeah, good luck.

Scene change: Office Lunch Room, minutes later
HI: (Man, I hope I didn't steer her wrong... welp, time for Subway, aka a shrug in sandwich form)
Phone: BEEP BEEP LUNCH BREAK OVER BEEP BEEP WORK TIL YOU DIE
HI: Motherfuck.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:45 pm

LOL yeah, "Yoober" would be exactly how you'd say it with any reasonably pronounced French accent. XD

Also, February is now the only month I have not ridden my motorbike. There have been opportunities in the past in every possible month, I just haven't bothered because I used to winterize more heavily. Only now I don't bother half as much because the inactive winter period is now only maybe mid-late December to early-mid March, so all I had to do was plop the battery back in. Weeeeeeeee global warming.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:05 am

Well now I have Suikoden jokes queuing up in my brain but goshdarnit none of them are actually funny not that that's ever stopped me before

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:06 am

Was over at a friend's (not technically his house since he's house-sitting, but he's house-sitting for like 8 months) where a couple of us were hanging around. Decided to watch movies, since the house has Netflix.

Man, this service must be a hell of a lot better in the US, because based on what we saw tonight, I have absolutely no idea why anyone wants it so damned bad. Or at all, for that matter. We searched for some two-dozen movies - old, new, semi-new, popular, unpopular, whatever - and only one of them came up. The fuckin' cable Movie Channel from the mid-90's was better than this.

We eventually did find something to watch (Zootopia, which we were looking for, and GotG, which we saw in passing when we were looking for several other Marvel movies, none of which showed up), both of which some of us had already seen, but some of the others hadn't and hey they're good and rewatchable. But geez, an old-style video rental store would have been better fer chrissakes. Digital-age improvements, my ass.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:27 pm

It's give-and-take. The U.S. library is much, much larger, but does not include either of the two movies you settled on.

No idea for smart TVs that you don't own, but if you're watching on a PC you can VPN your way to the entire catalogue (I just learned that this is apparently the wrong spelling, but fuck you I'm keeping with it).

edit: oh hey I guess Zootopia is, this is a p. good site

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Netflix has also lost a shit-ton of its library over the past few years, as studios have started trying to silo their content just like cable TV. (Here are some articles on the subject from 2013 and 2015.) That's a big part of why it's pushing so hard into original programming.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:14 pm

For the record, I tried to get them to watch the French-Canadian version. XD

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:04 pm

I would have lent you Rock and Rule if you'd asked.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Didn't Damon and Brian see it before?

In any case, I ain't THAT cruel. >:D