HOW WAS YOUR DAY

User avatar
beatbandito
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby beatbandito » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:37 am

My day started so good that Defenestration just got Mongreled by Mongrel.
Image

User avatar
Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Mothra » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 pm

<3 <3

User avatar
Hardly Ideal
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Hardly Ideal » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:14 am

Hey guys, do me a little favor?

The next time I say I need a haircut, just take away my phone and hand me a rubber band and a chef's knife. It'll be quicker and end up just as well. thnx ur da ebst baiiiii
Image: Mention something from public radio
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

User avatar
Silversong
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Silversong » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am

Next time you say you need a haircut, we'll point out that mullets can be very stylish.

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Brentai » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:38 am

IT'S A TRAP

User avatar
Silversong
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Silversong » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 am

I had my first ever harp lesson yesterday. *o* I love it as much as I always thought I'd love it. It was a 30-string floor harp (as opposed to a pedal harp or a lap harp).

....now I have to save $200 a month, first for lessons and instrument rentals, then for saving up for my own harp over 12 months. I think I want this enough to give up new dresses and restaurant food for over a year.... Sounds like a decent floor harp will cost me between $2,000 - $3,000.

Guys, I have this beautiful dream, a dream of playing the harp and singing Celtic songs in minor keys.....

User avatar
Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 3019
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Mothra » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:50 am


User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 7931
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:57 pm

I've mentioned I'm frequently mistaken for someone Jewish, (especially if they see my also-seemingly-Jewish last name, but often this is not required). At this time of year it's not uncommon for me to get "Mazel Tov!" from random orthodox types, or ordinary people who I assume are Jewish, or even (as was the case a couple days ago) from a guy I could only describe as an aging kibbutz hippie. Sometimes I correct them and sometimes I just nod 'cause I'm lazy.

But yesterday, with a little old lady in the building, was the first the time I ever corrected anyone only to have them tell me nope, I'm Jewish whether I like it or not. OKAY M'AM YO DAME.
Image

User avatar
François
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:00 am

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby François » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Wish her Merry Christmas, explode her mind.

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 7931
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:23 am

I did!
Image

User avatar
Hardly Ideal
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Hardly Ideal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:45 am

Finally met up with the other lightsaber nerds tonight. Good times, even though I can't fence my way out of a paper bag.

Also, holy fuck, we need some kind of team indicator for the line fights.
"Who's left on our team!?"
"The one in the black hoodie with the red saber!"
"What do y- there's like six people dressed like that!"
Image: Mention something from public radio
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

User avatar
beatbandito
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:01 am

Do they actually fence? Because I have gone on record on one of these forums about how fencing should and never does play into the star wars universe.
Image

User avatar
sei
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby sei » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 am

Thad wrote:Did 20 minutes or so on the elliptical this morning (after not having tried it for several weeks since the BP problems). Felt pretty good after. Heart rate was maybe a little higher than usual after I work out, but that may have something to do with my immediately following it with my morning cup of coffee.

...

Meantime, I'll try and keep doing this every morning, plan on working my way up to what I was doing back when I was unemployed, 45 minutes or so every morning and lifting free weights while I do it.


Strongly recommend starting a spreadsheet to track progress and accountability. Use Google Sheets (or whatever libre analog I expect you'd use) and you can do it from your phone pretty trivially at the end of an exercise session.


Mongrel wrote:I've mentioned I'm frequently mistaken for someone Jewish, (especially if they see my also-seemingly-Jewish last name, but often this is not required). At this time of year it's not uncommon for me to get "Mazel Tov!" from random orthodox types, or ordinary people who I assume are Jewish, or even (as was the case a couple days ago) from a guy I could only describe as an aging kibbutz hippie. Sometimes I correct them and sometimes I just nod 'cause I'm lazy.

But yesterday, with a little old lady in the building, was the first the time I ever corrected anyone only to have them tell me nope, I'm Jewish whether I like it or not. OKAY M'AM YO DAME.


This is a common thing where some Jews (religious or not) tell young Jews (or people they mistake for them) that converting out of the religion doesn't free them from persecution associated with their heritage. It's got kind of a positive side to it too, though, where the subtext is, "Even if you convert out of it, we still have your back."
Image

User avatar
Büge
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Büge » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 am

Mongrel wrote:I did!


Ballistics experts mystified at elderly woman's death, local Jewish man wanted for questioning

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5326
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 pm

sei wrote:Strongly recommend starting a spreadsheet to track progress and accountability. Use Google Sheets (or whatever libre analog I expect you'd use) and you can do it from your phone pretty trivially at the end of an exercise session.


Thanks.

Mostly I'm really good about keeping to a routine once I get it started. Last time I got the workout routine going, it was something I did every day; no need for keeping a log.

It's been harder to get into a regular routine this time. I haven't done it most of this week because I've had a headache all damn week. Every time it gets cloudy. I was hoping the allergy shots would help; I've been on them for a year and a half and they've helped with breathing but not the headaches. Might be time to go back to the ENT, or see a neurologist.

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 7931
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:52 pm

sei wrote:
Thad wrote:Did 20 minutes or so on the elliptical this morning (after not having tried it for several weeks since the BP problems). Felt pretty good after. Heart rate was maybe a little higher than usual after I work out, but that may have something to do with my immediately following it with my morning cup of coffee.

...

Meantime, I'll try and keep doing this every morning, plan on working my way up to what I was doing back when I was unemployed, 45 minutes or so every morning and lifting free weights while I do it.


Strongly recommend starting a spreadsheet to track progress and accountability. Use Google Sheets (or whatever libre analog I expect you'd use) and you can do it from your phone pretty trivially at the end of an exercise session.


Mongrel wrote:I've mentioned I'm frequently mistaken for someone Jewish, (especially if they see my also-seemingly-Jewish last name, but often this is not required). At this time of year it's not uncommon for me to get "Mazel Tov!" from random orthodox types, or ordinary people who I assume are Jewish, or even (as was the case a couple days ago) from a guy I could only describe as an aging kibbutz hippie. Sometimes I correct them and sometimes I just nod 'cause I'm lazy.

But yesterday, with a little old lady in the building, was the first the time I ever corrected anyone only to have them tell me nope, I'm Jewish whether I like it or not. OKAY M'AM YO DAME.


This is a common thing where some Jews (religious or not) tell young Jews (or people they mistake for them) that converting out of the religion doesn't free them from persecution associated with their heritage. It's got kind of a positive side to it too, though, where the subtext is, "Even if you convert out of it, we still have your back."

As a Jewish friend of ours has commented at times "If ever you forget you are a Jew, never fear, someone will remind you."
Image

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Joxam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:43 pm

I don't know how big you are (thad) into using your phone for shit like that (the spread sheet idea) but there are literally thousands of apps (some even built into Samsung phones (but SHealth is a battery fucking vampire so turn it off when you're not actively using it if you choose that one) which can help you track everything from exercise, to calorie intake; to fucking pulse, blood pressure or even blood sugar if you're so inclined. This is basically, aside from podcasts, the one thing I use my smartphone for. As a diabetic it is an invaluable resource for keeping track of everything from calorie intake to just whether or not I've taken my pills for the day or not (surprisingly easy to forget).
Image

User avatar
Hardly Ideal
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Hardly Ideal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:33 pm

beatbandito wrote:Do they actually fence? Because I have gone on record on one of these forums about how fencing should and never does play into the star wars universe.

I think Count Dooku used some kind of dueling style with a curved pistol-grip saber to match, so there's that at least. And I don't really know the universe that well, but there must be at least one person who did something at least resembling German longsword fencing.

As far as the group goes, we've got more than a few twinkle-toes using the familiar rapier/foil stance. And they're way too fast, mumble grumble
Image: Mention something from public radio
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

User avatar
sei
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby sei » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:45 am

Thad wrote:
sei wrote:Strongly recommend starting a spreadsheet to track progress and accountability. Use Google Sheets (or whatever libre analog I expect you'd use) and you can do it from your phone pretty trivially at the end of an exercise session.


Thanks.

Mostly I'm really good about keeping to a routine once I get it started. Last time I got the workout routine going, it was something I did every day; no need for keeping a log.

It's been harder to get into a regular routine this time. I haven't done it most of this week because I've had a headache all damn week. Every time it gets cloudy. I was hoping the allergy shots would help; I've been on them for a year and a half and they've helped with breathing but not the headaches. Might be time to go back to the ENT, or see a neurologist.
One of the things that helped me with the routine was getting myself to get on the machine at all. "Just change, get on it, and if it's too much, just get back off of it in 5 or 20 minutes." And then it'd almost always be 1h+ of exercise (unless I was low on time). Surprised myself, even though the pattern wound up sort of consistent. I'd skip when sick or if I had a migraine, though. Don't want to do more harm than good.

Been struggling about getting consistent again. I think variance / fucked-up-ness of my sleep schedule and odd timing for social interaction have been the major barriers.


Mongrel wrote:As a Jewish friend of ours has commented at times "If ever you forget you are a Jew, never fear, someone will remind you."
Hahaha. Love it.


Joxam wrote:I don't know how big you are (thad) into using your phone for shit like that (the spread sheet idea) but there are literally thousands of apps (some even built into Samsung phones (but SHealth is a battery fucking vampire so turn it off when you're not actively using it if you choose that one) which can help you track everything from exercise, to calorie intake; to fucking pulse, blood pressure or even blood sugar if you're so inclined. This is basically, aside from podcasts, the one thing I use my smartphone for. As a diabetic it is an invaluable resource for keeping track of everything from calorie intake to just whether or not I've taken my pills for the day or not (surprisingly easy to forget).

I used to use MFP, but having to weigh and log food can get incredibly fucking exhausting if you're not eating the same stuff with great regularity.
Image

User avatar
nosimpleway
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 pm

I have a job interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest