HOW WAS YOUR DAY

beatbandito

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby beatbandito » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 am

So, as I collected documents to get my fancy federal drivers license / SIN I learned that my social security card wasn't in with the rest of my important stuff. I keep these things secure enough I don't think it was taken deliberately, but I haven't had a reason I can think of to bring that card out of my house in months if not years, meaning that ultimately, it could be anywhere for basically any amount of time.

So pains of replacing it aside, can anyone suggest a service for checking and locking down on my personal identity stuff? I've been lead towards an experian report and all that comes with that, but there are enough people here who know security I'd love to get some opinions on the best option.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Well, obviously I'm speaking from my background, but the main thing to worry about is still just credit fraud, so an Experian report (and follow-up, if any) is probably most of what you need to do.

Up here you can pay to have your account locked up such that no credit check can be run on your profile without you being called first, and I would 100% recommend that even to people whose info HASN'T been stolen, but I understand the process for that is a bit different down in the US (our main credit bureau up here is Transunion) so I can't really give you any details on that that you can't just google up.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Experian does seem to have been the way to go. I did individual annual checks through each of the three and Experian had the best (trial) pricing to put all the information together with the credit scores as well as provide other features related to it.

There is an option to credit lock through either Experian or TransUnion (or probably Equifax too, but despite them possibly now being the best due to public outcry for reform, I still have doubts in my mind for giving them any more info than they already have) for $25 - $20 a month which I will probably not go through with since everything looks okay and that is a good chunk of change for a monthly cost.
I may have freaked out a little more than I needed to over this since I have been prior been good amount keeping track of the big ID cards (social, state ID, birth certificate & passport) and the first failure lining up with actual attempts at fraud on my bank card.

Now I can go back to remembering why I hate seeing my credit score. Payment History & Amount of Debt are holding me back because I've never gone into debt or needed credit. If I had waited until I had enough money to afford the car I wanted and paid in cash, I would be more of a 'risk' than I am right now, and if I sign up for a credit card with an insane APR and max out the limit today, I'll be more reliable.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah, credit is kind of wacky in that it really doesn't work well with unknowns.

Also, that price to lock your file is insane. I pay $6 here and that's good for five years (my guess is that it's legislated here). In any case I am supposed to get free permanent credit monitoring at some point, since the government lost my credit data a few years back and that's (supposed to be) the main comp.

Actually I should follow that up - it's been ages since I heard anything on the class-action portion.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 pm

New old man spectacles prescription this week, now I have serious long distance only lenses that must be removed in order to computer, leaving me playing the role of office training video hunchback. Spent the day completely rearranging the furniture because you can't raise a laptop two feet in this house without moving three wardrobes and half the bathroom fittings.

Compensatory run to the late store netted me a good haul on the rejected biscuits lottery (Some coconut and coffee in there, but mostly milk and white chocolate covered squares, some shattered kit-kats and a few butter rolls) Also a ton of crisps for 10p a pack (1980s prices) because till guy figured if the company needed profit so bad maybe they should update the database. Doggo can have the cheesy poofs.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 01, 2018 9:16 pm

My dad had an angina attack last night. They put a stent in him and he's alright now, which is about as good an outcome as you can get while still having an actual cardiac event.

He exercises, so that's not the issue, but maybe this will convince him to stop eating like a Depression-era hobo "Wow a bucket of lard for 20 cents! No way can I pass up a deal like that!"

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue May 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Scary stuff Mongrel, just went through similar with my intended. It did prompt her to kick tobacco to the kerb cold turkey, so it can prompt serious lifestyle reform. Here's hoping.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 02, 2018 1:30 am

Be careful - quitting smoking can actually increase risk severely in the short term. As nicotine hardens your arteries and coats them with hard plaque there's a shell there just waiting to crack. Then, as happens sometimes, quitting smoking leads to increased appetite and weight gain, which leads to nice soft fat exuding from those same artery walls, making the old battleship iron vastly more likely to detatch and block things up. Rather like a creme brulee, only it wants to kill you.

This exact thing happened to my buddy a few years back.

But still, quitting smoking is massively better in the long term. Just be aware of the dangers that come with increased appetite after quitting.

atog

Postby atog » Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm quite entertained by Mongrel's equally naval and culinary description of "unstable plaque". :lol:

That said, quitting smoking is entirely worth it. It's like paying yourself an extra $200 a month not to get lung cancer.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed May 02, 2018 12:35 pm

It's amazing how the extra 200 just disappears into general expenses and doesn't seem to make a difference. How were we living without this? The idea of meurtre-brûlée is concerning, and it's great the way doctors never mention this stuff because on average it's better that we don't know about it. Does the condition/event have a medical name?

I wonder why hospitals don't have a general policy of jamming filter stents into all the arterial branches that lead to death. I know anaesthesia is dangerous, but they could do it while you're already under for something else. It would be nice if the worst thing a blood clot could do was temporarily paralyse a limb.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 02, 2018 3:27 pm

I gave up trying to do anything besides comic butchering of metaphors... was too tired last night!

Anyway, it looks like they already put a second stent into him and are giving two more of his arteries dirty looks, so that's not exactly great. 3-4 stents is apparently when you start looking at bypass surgery instead. AND he had some heart rhythm trouble (doesn't mean that's permanent, but it's sort of concerning and another thing they have to watch). Going to go see him tonight, guess I'll find out more then.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Oops, it also turns out he actually died briefly while he was in the lab today and had to be resuscitated. This being casually mentioned after the fact.

UH, THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THAT WEE DETAIL.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 pm

May all your deaths be so temporary.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Well, he's okay for now, but he has a bunch of arteries in pretty shitty states of clogging, so he's gonna have to keep a close eye on this stuff from now on. Might be in for more stents or bypass surgery in future.

He's got pretty much every causative factor you could have going for this sort of thing - genetics, high cholesterol, bad food, letting himself stay sick and not going to the doc until he's at death's door (he once had pneumonia for months thinking it was just a cold that wouldn't go away before he FINALLY went to go see a doctor - being sick inflames your innards even long after you're well, kids!), no rest (well, that's gotten a little better recently), and high stress from various sources, not least of which is constant exposure to >:V aka my mom.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu May 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Today I stopped to watch a rabbit eat a leaf.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 pm

When your Muslim mom calls you - her technically-Catholic son - to ask you how to properly observe Muslim holidays. lol

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 pm

Today I got a makeover at Good For Her. They did basically everything except lips.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:32 am

Büge wrote:Today I got a makeover at Good For Her.

I like winged eyeliner, but am too afraid to try it myself. :x Looks good! My current favorite lipcolor is Bite's Amuse Bouche, if you haven't tried it. (Out of curiosity, was that a liquid or a pencil eyeliner?)

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Silversong wrote:
Büge wrote:Today I got a makeover at Good For Her.

I like winged eyeliner, but am too afraid to try it myself. :x Looks good! My current favorite lipcolor is Bite's Amuse Bouche, if you haven't tried it. (Out of curiosity, was that a liquid or a pencil eyeliner?)

Neither! It was a cream eyeliner. She applied it with a brush.

Thanks! I should really expand my makeup selection, but it's almost as expensive as miniature painting.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm

As the consequences of me going HAM with my new good insurance finally catches up to me, I get to learn about "Balance Billing".

That's where you ask your insurance what doctor to go to, that doctor asks the insurance what work they can do, the insurance company pays for the work, then the doctor turns around and tells me they want more than the insurance company gave them and now that's my problem.