Shittier Days

Lyrai

Re: Shittier Days

Postby Lyrai » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:00 pm

He has about 57 different holsters of varying degrees. There's a bin out in the garage of nothing but holsters.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:22 pm

I gave my dad my old Ruger single-six (I have no need of the thing since I left the desert.) He adores it for plinking and scaring off big cats, but that's probably too simple. If he might be into something peculiar but useful, I've always been enamored with the Remmington XP-100. Crazy accurate bolt action handgun, absolutely fucking amazing for target/varmint shooting, and it's perfect if you happen to be cross dominant and don't want to relearn rifle shooting with your off hand. It can be kind of tough to find .221 Fireball, and best of luck getting a holster for the fucker (though it sounds like he'd probably have one that could be modified to suit.) Otherwise it's pretty much a dream. Might be too heavy if he has dexterity issues, though.

Also, sorry I missed you at the Chinese garden. We've actually got season tickets for the thing, so tea and dumplings and making fun of hipsters is pretty much a weekly date.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:12 am

There was one guy there who was straight up way too proud of "I have an ASIAN GIRLFRIEND". Like to the point of parody except it wasn't. Did you see him?

malikial

Postby malikial » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 am

Brentai wrote:Giving your father a straight-out weapon feels kinda weird. Having a dad in much the same boat I ended up giving him a Picatinny-mountable laser sight one Christmas, which I thought was cool but he didn't seem too excited about. I guess using anything besides ironsights is too unmanly? I dunno.

In retrospect I think some sort of functional holster might be better appreciated, especially if your dad has ergonomic issues.

I own 2 laser sights for guns, one is internally mounted and the other is picatinny-mountable. Both suffer from needing to be re-calibrated frequently(Probably every three times I shoot) and they are very expensive sights... The best you can buy for the two guns I have them for. They ended up being so much of a hassle that I stopped using them and just use Iron Sights now so that might have been the thing with your dad... They ARE useful for things though. You can set the Iron Sight for once distance and the Laser Sight for a second one so it's easier to aim at different ranges but that is kinda not horribly useful if you actually know how to shoot.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Lyrai wrote:There was one guy there who was straight up way too proud of "I have an ASIAN GIRLFRIEND". Like to the point of parody except it wasn't. Did you see him?

Nah. I was probably too busy showing off my black girlfriend. A shame. We could have raced them in the parking lot.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Ha ha! Raced.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Obviously Sharkey's girl would have won
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:35 pm

Was it a joke about running and so black people are better?

Was it a joke about racing cars and so asians are worse?

Was it a joke about R^2's Van?
ImageImageImage

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue May 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Eight years on and the same shit day that began it all has returned. Once again I am sweaty, tired, and one of my cats is dead. A bit less dramatic than last time, knew it had to be done a few weeks out, but I'm also in a position now where I can't pay for cremation, and so I just finished digging a grave, in Arizona, in May. His name was Max and his favorite thing was to sleep curled up around my elbow.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 10, 2016 2:30 pm

:<

Sorry Bal.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue May 10, 2016 2:51 pm

So sorry, Bal.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue May 10, 2016 3:00 pm

He had an abscessed tooth that rendered him basically unable to eat, and obviously in a lot of pain. Even if I had the money, I think last time I expressed that as much as I love my pets, you don't spend that kind of money to keep a cat alive. He had lost a lot of weight, and was obviously in pain after eating for awhile, and later just stopped almost altogether. You do what needs doing in these situations, but I'll still miss him.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue May 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Sorry, Bal. I'm sending you some good vibes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Sorry, man. All my best.

François

Postby François » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am

I just learned that my father died, from my brother, who heard it from my half-sister. We have no further details. He lived half a continent away, we hadn't been on speaking terms for nearly twenty years, he built up and tore down two families as far as I know, and the bad memories far outweigh the good memories, so the actual impact on me personally seems like it's going to be minimal. Right now I don't even really feel anything about it, but he's still the closest relative I've lost so far so I shouldn't pretend I know for sure if it's because he had become as much of a stranger to me as I think, or if it just hasn't sunk in yet.

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about him but it all sounds like damning with faint praise. He was dealt a shit hand and played it poorly, but I suppose others could have played it much worse.

I guess I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:53 am

So sorry, man.

Same basic thing happened to my sister-in-law not too long ago, and she didn't know how to feel about it. Just try to remember what positives you can.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm sorry man.

My oldest friend has.. well, your situation sounds similar to his, though his dad is still around, as far as we know. I don't mean to pretend that I know exactly what you're going though, but I've seen how hard a relationship like that can get, how hard it is for someone to figure out those feelings.

We're here for ya.

François

Postby François » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm not feeling very different. I suspect I had basically already mourned him a long time ago; from my perspective he's not gone today much more than he was a week ago. Maybe I feel bad about not feeling bad, but that's dumb and won't last. Still, I'm not the only one he left in his wake. My brother seems to be taking it pretty hard, as he thought they might get back in touch somewhere down the line but he kept putting it off for some reason. There's precious little I can do to assuage that, but I told him I'm there if he wants to talk, and we'll see.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:38 am

Maybe the reason was that he didn't really want to do it?

François

Postby François » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:17 pm

That's entirely possible! I'm inclined to think the main motivator might have been pity, but not intensely enough to initiate anything. The man was definitely the architect of his own misery, but for all his book-smarts (he was an actuary), there was an element of dumb, self-centered obliviousness to his behavior, and his own parents were worse to him than he was to us. (When my paternal grandmother was informed of my sleep ailment, she literally said "don't call us anymore, we don't want to know, it hurts to think about you". It put in a new light my mentally-challenged uncle that they put in a hospice and tried to forget about.)

About a month after my mother left him for nearly strangling her after she prevented him from beating up my little brother who was 4 years old and recovering from surgery at the time, he visited us for the first and last time at the local refuge for victims of domestic abuse. The first words out of his mouth weren't "I'm sorry", they were "I forgive you". He honestly believed he was being gracious. In some ways, it's easier to forgive someone who's acting vile because they're dumb and short-sighted than someone who's acting vile because they're cruel and greedy, but either way, at some point, an event horizon has been crossed and you gotta reach for that eject button.

I do pity him myself to a degree, but the only favor that leads me to grant him is to refuse to burden myself with hatred. So he's gone, and I'm not mad, or sad, or glad.