Shittier Days

Silversong

Re: Shittier Days

Postby Silversong » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:31 am

Just woke up, and found out that about an hour ago, my dad died.
It's not out of nowhere, but I thought he was getting better the past couple weeks.

There won't be a funeral; there'd be no one to invite. He didn't have friends and alienated his family. He was an emotionally unstable asshole for most of my life. But I think he just didn't know how or have the self-control to do better; I think he meant better. In any case, he's my father, so I always forgave him.

It's really sad there aren't more people who will mourn him than me and mom. I'm worried about mom being lonely, and being able to take care of the house and the 5 acres of land by herself; she's in her 70s.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:39 am

I'm sorry, Silversong. I hope he knew how you felt.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:59 am

Sorry to hear that, Silversong. I hope you and your mom will find a way to work things out that you'll both be ok.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Sorry to hear it. I know how hard it can be to find closure in a situation like that; my wife's father died a few years ago and it was sort of similar, not much family and no funeral. My wife and her sister went back home to be with their family anyway; they took comfort in that even though the family didn't care much for their dad.

Find peace and comfort where you may. And best of luck with the property care situation.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:27 pm

So tired all the time now.

Silver: Do you have siblings? Maybe your mom could move to be closer to you?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Have you been checked over? Make sure you don't have something like a deficiency or mono?

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Oh right, DNi's gone, so I can post here without being told I was asking for it by dressing like a slut.

My car died, so I had to get a new one. Basically okay, I don't like making car payments, but w/e.

Yesterday on my birthday one of our birds escaped. We h ave not found him as of tonight, when the cold rain starts. My entire body hurts. My face from a mouth infection, and my body from climbing over fences, up trees, and everywhere trying to get the fucking bird.

We WERE going to take all four birds in to get their wings clipped today but all of us are so fucking miserable we couldn't even get out of the house.

Fuck life, fuck everything, fuck pain.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:57 am

You did your best, Lyrai. it's not your fault birds have brains the size of little peanuts and don't know what's best for them.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:21 am

The loss of a family member always sucks.

malikial

Postby malikial » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 am

Hey, so. I went to the eye doctor yesterday for new glasses for the first time in a couple years and... I guess I tested positive in a routine exam for glaucoma. I am getting referred for a more formal exam to make sure but my eye doctor dude said it was pretty clearly a thing. I am told that since it was caught early I can most like reduce vision loss from it. So, ya know, there's that. I had a lot of eye problems and surgeries as a kid that involved having no vision for large swaths of time, whole months with bandages over my eyes, that kinda shit, that have made me terrified of being blind though so I've spent the last 12ish or so hours just fucking depressed. Eh. At least I have a good job with fucking insurance and shit. Gonna be calling my Tribe's medical stuff today and seeing if they have anything like testing and assistance for this kind of shit. If they do that'll be nice.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Bummer; at least you caught it early. Good luck.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Yeah, that awful, but right now you can actually do something about it. Still sucks though.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Not good at all, but hopefully they can do enough to keep it at bay. Good luck, man.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 pm

The entire new year has been full of fuck.

Ever since December of last year, my dad has said he would need to go up for treatment to some place to get the shit shocked out of his back for pain treatment.

Despite the blaise description, it's catually working and useful, I'm just hurting right now.

It took _four months_ - hi April, how are you - to actually get all the ducks in a row, and get everything to where people would actually need to go. After holding out for a miracle for 4 months, I got chosen to get holed up in a hotel room, drive him to there each day, and just be on the lookoput for him.

You know what? It was kind of okay. I've ranted about things re: my family before, but my dad really did seem to take my problems with things to heart and tried his best to make sure everything went smoothly. That doesn't stop the fuck train of life, though. I ended up leaving my debit card at home on accident, so I had to pay for cash with everything, which is fine. I visited the Japanese Garden in portland, and caught the tail end of a bunch of fucking hipsters doing the free tour, and holy shit, these hipsters. ONe of them had a genuine look and act of "Check out my ASIAN GIRLFRIEND." I'd never seen it before, but holy shit.

Okay so this is just minor nitpicks, not at all any real problem, right?

Then Gamergate.. Then my mother got hit with the megaflu and we're 200 miles away and not exactly in a position to deal with it. Having to fight her over the phone insisting she's fine while she sounds on death's door is always fun, but my dad went into overdrive right when Prince died, because he had heard he died from the same goddamn thing (Prince never really stopped to rest) (Neither does my mom). So we end up having to corral my brother into basically just fucking keeping her at the HOUSE.

So the ten days pass, my dad says I was an amazing help, and he legit tried to help my own nerousies and everything! Okay so we're ending good, right?

Nope. If you've frequented #FF, I've ranted about my own physological problems, but if not, here's the cliffs notes: I am way, way, way more active than is healthy or can be supported by the body due to abnormal levels of energy and what I'm now just finding out is full blown Autism. The entire ten days my body basically spent in full on tensed up Alert mode, leading to painful muscle aches towards the end and a full crash when I finally got home.

I'm now battling either the cold, flu, or Generic Anime Sickness, whatever the fuck it is, it's miserable, and I'm still legit upset that GamerShit managed to manifest in the real world, because it totally shouldn't have upset me more than it did, but I legit felt really unsafe anywhere but next to my dad for pretty much the remainder of the trip.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:17 am

Man, that is a lot of awful crap, but in the longer run, once you feel better I hope that the improvement bwteen you and your dad will dwarf the rest of that shitty stuff. I am legit glad you at least felt safe with him.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:38 am

I really, really need to get him something extremely nice for father's day. He put forth the effort to deal with my mental neurosis in a way I didn't expect, but have been asking him to over the last few months. I am so happy about that.

Maybe a really good Damascus steel knife. Or something fancy gun-related.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Lyrai wrote:Maybe a really good Damascus steel knife. Or something fancy gun-related.
I won't pretend to know anything about good knives, but I saw this and it gave me pause. No idea if it's actually good, but I thought "that's way better than the piece of junk I got for Mrs. Ideal."
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:07 pm

If you decide you want something knifey rather than gunny, I know a huge knife nerd I can ask for suggestions for you Lyrai.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Hardly Ideal wrote:
Lyrai wrote:Maybe a really good Damascus steel knife. Or something fancy gun-related.
I won't pretend to know anything about good knives, but I saw this and it gave me pause. No idea if it's actually good, but I thought "that's way better than the piece of junk I got for Mrs. Ideal."

Hahahaha! I've been looking at that exact make and model for several days now! It has no lock, which means it's a no-go for LyDad, but I've seriously been considering it for myself

Mongrel: Could you go ahead and ask? I'd appreciate it.

LyDad is:
Old, with medical issues. As stated above, something he'd have to manually hold is a no-go. A bladelock is mandatory.
A fan of guns. He likes the old west, but he loves patriotism. Right-wing, but hates Trump (thank God)
Likes big and imposing, over small and tiny. I don't mean like, machete level, but more something that fits comfortably in the hands of a large person.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Giving your father a straight-out weapon feels kinda weird. Having a dad in much the same boat I ended up giving him a Picatinny-mountable laser sight one Christmas, which I thought was cool but he didn't seem too excited about. I guess using anything besides ironsights is too unmanly? I dunno.

In retrospect I think some sort of functional holster might be better appreciated, especially if your dad has ergonomic issues.