Computer help requests

Thad

Re: Computer help requests

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:44 pm

I've found that Bluetooth dongle support is really kind of a mess, but Broadcom seems like it should have better driver support than the various fly-by-nights. (Win7/x64, I presume?)

I haven't fucked around with PS3 controllers but it took me ages to get Wii controller support. It involved allowing unsigned drivers and using a stack of hacks. Wouldn't know what to do about ds3tool; best I can recommend is to look and see if anybody else is using your exact dongle with it and, if not, if they're using the same driver you are and, if not, just people generally using Broadcom drivers with it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 pm

There are stories out there on a lot of the forums I poured through while looking for answers about broadcom devices having no issue at all. I got as far as wiping drivers off the device itself to use with another controller imaging program and still had no success before I realized I hadn't tried out the old dongle since the full driver wipe.

Now that one is working again and even though it's not great I can still exchange the new one for a usb extension cord and hopefully solve my issue completely.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:06 am

If you've got a spare machine (or even just a spare hard drive) it might be worth checking to see if it works on a clean Windows install, too.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Okay, I am doing some spreadsheet stuff on Google Sheets instead of Excel, specifically so it will be accessible and editable online to many people.

The problem I keep running into is that for some blasted reason Google Sheets is rounding data without my ever having formatted a cell or cells to round (usually when the data is a currency and the product of a formula cell, but sometimes just... whenever), and even when I check the cell properties, it shows no rounding formatting has been applied. But the cell values are being rounded all the same and that is making this basically useless.

I am assuming that something is *WACKY* with the significant figures settings, but Sheets help and googling answers have been worse than useless and I am getting very mad at what should be a simple, intuitive formatting setting (few things enrage me as much as the magical *secret* formatting stuff in office programs). Like that you would select "Currency" and it defaults to taking this as whole numbers only, is... I want to slap someone for thinking this is a good idea.

I am about to throw in the towel and just have people email an Excel sheet around, but I figured I would ask here in case anyone had any idea at all as to what the hell I'm talking about.

EDIT: Never mind, it was a formula issue after all. Sheets was substituting Quotient instead of Divide for some damned reason.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 pm

So utorrent just played an audio ad and I have no intention of ever using it again. Can anyone recommend a Windows BT client that doesn't suck?

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Thad wrote:So utorrent just played an audio ad and I have no intention of ever using it again. Can anyone recommend a Windows BT client that doesn't suck?

qbittorrent

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 pm

I think we're still on Vuze, but I don't use it very often.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:14 am

Oh yeah, I remember Vuze. That's the one that used to be called Azureus, right? Java-based, pretty slow; I don't remember it being very fully-featured, either, but that was years ago.

I'll give QBT a try; thanks for the heads-up.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:44 am

Vuze is pretty trashy, lots of ads and shit. I've been using Deluge for a while, it's super light and works fine.

patito

Postby patito » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:33 am

utorrent 2.0

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Deluge and Qbittorent are the best at the moment if you want a newer client that's still somewhat like utorrent. You could also be a crazy person like patito and just keep using an old version of utorrent.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Oh yeah, I used Deluge as my primary for awhile a few years ago when ktorrent was fucked up. I remember it working pretty well.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:13 am

Got around to switching to Deluge. What are folks using these days for their trackers?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:00 pm

Is anyone here an aggressive user of Facebook or Twitter? Or, more importantly, run such accounts for business purposes?

I have basically never used either (I have an old dummy account, with no content, just for looking at FB pages that don't display to people without FB accounts and even after several years, Twitter's formatting is a counterintuitive mess to me), and on a personal level I never want to. However, I am trying to add the usual "add a bunch of social media accounts" dance to my website and I am finding it's a hopeless muddle even when I've googled a bunch of tutorials.

On top of just getting something set up and uploading content, I'm also trying to figure out reasonable best practices for being a spammy advertising bot.

I'd be grateful for any help. On FB, I can't even get the "About" basic info box to display on the front page (this is the timeline page?).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:46 am

I don't have a Facebook account either, but what they told us at GoDaddy is that if you maintain a Facebook account with regular posts and regularly link back to your main site, that's one of the best things you can do for SEO.

I've been told by other people, with more SEO experience, that that's bullshit. So I don't really know for sure.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:46 am

It's not a big deal to do it, because when you do content updates, you just post it to all your platforms.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:55 am

Anybody know why PHP would be erroring out on a simple use of the mail() function?

Like, I build a file consisting entirely of this

Code: Select all

<?php
  mail('test@example.com', 'subject line', 'body');
?>

and the page won't load.

(And php_info() tells me there's no directory set for logging, and I can't see a place in Plesk to change that, so I might have to talk to my hosting provider.)

It's running on a Windows/IIS server, so I know the mail configuration works a little differently, but I think it's set up correctly because I have other sites that I think are on the same server that can submit mail from Wordpress contact forms just fine.

I tried setting up a php.ini file in my httpdocs directory with this in it:

Code: Select all

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

but that doesn't do anything either. Guess I can futz with the mailserver line and see if I set it to some specific SMTP account if that works any better.

I swear I used to be able to send E-Mail from this site but I can't find the old contact form.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:59 pm

...working now and I have no friggin' idea why. Always love when that happens.

Possible explanations:

The PHP service just now restarted and parsed the php.ini file I wrote last night;
I accidentally changed a setting in Plesk without realizing I had changed it;
The admin saw some errors and fixed things at his end.

Have no idea what happened.

And of course the contact form page itself still isn't working for some damn reason even though it appears to be using the same mail() function.

EDIT: Apparently the reason the form submission was not working is that the mail() function does not like E-Mail addresses with underscores in them. Escaping with a backslash does not work, and the actual correct way of escaping them is surprisingly difficult to find online (friendly reminder: do not be the guy who posts "Never mind, I figured it out." FUCK YOU.). I am tempted just to leave it be and point the thing at one of my alternate E-Mail address that does not have underscores in it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:36 am

...okay, seriously, has nobody worked out how to access a Windows 8+ shared directory from a Linux device?

I know Windows 8 isn't that popular and Windows 10 has just come out, but for fuck's sake it seems like somebody would have worked this out at some point in the past 3 years. It's not like Linux-based OS's are obscure anymore now that it's running on over a billion fucking mobile devices.

...or is there something wrong at my end? Did both my Windows 10 boxes somehow end up with fucked-up network configurations so that their sharing only works on other Windows devices and not Linux ones? Have any of you guys been able to access Win10 shared directories on Linux (including Android) devices?

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:54 am

I just did some brief Google searching which suggests that windows 10 shares are still just normal smb shares... try updating Samba?