Depression Quest

Blossom

Re: Depression Quest

Postby Blossom » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 pm

ocksi wrote:What favors did she get?

She starting banging the guy who became her boss before she was hired, and continued it after she was hired. Take a fucking guess.

McFrugal

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:28 pm

TA wrote:
ocksi wrote:What favors did she get?

She starting banging the guy who became her boss before she was hired, and continued it after she was hired. Take a fucking guess.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Man, I'd love to see a (semi?)detailed timeline of what happened.

Edit: Oh hey two of the five guys she was secretly sleeping with (the ones whose names her ex censored) were during a break in the relationship, so I guess they aren't the dicks I thought they were. I was wondering why the names were censored.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 pm

The ex is clear that her being hired by the dude she slept with had nothing to do with her sleeping with him, though it was right before she started working for him. I'm guessing after an offer was extended prior?

(from the narrative)
In advance of any trilby-wearing e-sleuths, allow me to save you some time — yes, that means she was having sex with Josh Boggs right before he hired her. No, that doesn’t mean anyone’s going to risk their game’s success on an unqualified narrative designer for side benefits. Zoe is in fact a pretty solid narrative designer.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Zoe's Ex's reddit account. If you want insight into his thought process.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Joxam wrote:And if no one is a victim why do you still keep throwing around the word whore like a fucking 12 year old? Even actual honest to god prostitutes get the luxury (sarcasm) of being called prostitutes or sex workers at the very least.

Yeah, "whore" is a pretty gross and misogynistic word to be throwing around, even if you consider it a factually accurate statement to say that she exchanged sex for some form of compensation.

The word's got a lot of pretty horrible baggage and implications associated with it; I don't think you're invoking that stuff intentionally but I'd still recommend finding another way to criticize Quinn's actions.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:11 pm

See, I knew we had more vociferous sexist assholes in this community besides DN, I was wondering when the rest of the crew would show up. And here they are, right on cue! It's like 4chan, but without the underage mascot!

Just a couple of notes:

1. If someone is cheating on their partner, unless you are the one being cheated on or cheated with, it is NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS. It doesn't matter how much of a public figure they are.

2. If you say you take the dude's statements at face value, but not Quinn's, because apparently she's a big Whorey Whore McWhoreson, and then say gender has nothing to do with it, one of those two statements is a lie!

3. The tumblr thing: every tumblr account has a special email address attached to it. Sending something to this email address will automatically post it, without the need to log in. It's meant for users who want to post from their phones without using tumblr's shitty mobile app or tumblr's shitty mobile site. If someone got ahold of that email address, they could post pretty much anything they wanted to the associated blog. According to Quinn, this is exactly the method that was used against her. Of course, you probably won't believe that(see no 2).

Anyway, these past couple of weeks have been pretty stressful for me, so in order to mitigate said stress, I'm taking a break from a bunch of online stuff, including these here boards. I don't know when I'll be back. If you want to get in touch with me, I'm not hard to find. Aforementioned vociferous sexist assholes, don't even bother.

Later, nerds!

P.S. McFrugal, I don't think I've ever said two words to you, but I will now: fuck you.

McFrugal

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 pm

TedBelmont wrote:P.S. McFrugal, I don't think I've ever said two words to you, but I will now: pineapple you.

Hehehe, pineapple.

Thad wrote:
Joxam wrote:And if no one is a victim why do you still keep throwing around the word whore like a fucking 12 year old? Even actual honest to god prostitutes get the luxury (sarcasm) of being called prostitutes or sex workers at the very least.

Yeah, "whore" is a pretty gross and misogynistic word to be throwing around, even if you consider it a factually accurate statement to say that she exchanged sex for some form of compensation.

The word's got a lot of pretty horrible baggage and implications associated with it; I don't think you're invoking that stuff intentionally but I'd still recommend finding another way to criticize Quinn's actions.

I just realized something, I never said the men involved weren't victims. I just said I was judging them too, and never really thought about them being victims or not. They probably are victims to some extent- I mean, one of them was gonna build a fucking extra room in his house for Quinn before she was revealed to be perpetually full of shit. She is apparently a pathological liar. I wonder how many of them were even aware of Quinn having sex with the others?
Also I had forgotten, but I had decided to use the word whore partially because I knew it would turn heads, partially because it was factual, and ALSO because I believed Quinn deserved the insult. It is an extreme term, but she is an extremely bad person. I have a question though, is "bitch" also misogynistic in your eyes? Because I'm wondering why exactly "whore" is. Is it because misogynists use it so frequently? (I generally don't, this was an exception)
Edit: This word filter. I assume everyone knows what pepper means by now.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 pm

McFrugal, the very first post in this thread here has all the information the rest of these guys do in the tl;dr blog.

It's the timeline from the ex's point of view.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Man, there sure are a lot of charged emotions being flung around for something no one here had any direct personal stake in. I mean, you might empathize with any one of the protagonists/antagonists, you might decry the broader situation, but the response from some quarters sure has been out of proportion to, well... anything about this story, really. I mean, the barebones is that a noted video game developer with a significant fan base may or may not have slept with several people to further her career. That's... really small potatoes.

To be absolutely clear, I'm not saying that depression isn't a personal thing, or to dismiss the opinion of a board member who might feel important personal connections to Depression Quest (which - whatever personal issues the creator might have had - is a good thing that should have been made). It's just that watching the brouhaha about Zoe Quinn's personal life feels the same to me as watching Twilight fans talking about Kristen Stewart sleeping with Rupert Sanders; it's tabloid stuff dressed up as news.

I suppose that people's personal lives bleeding into their public lives is something that the internet enables. Is that good? Is it bad? If I say I don't like it in most cases, maybe that just makes me sound old?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm

TedBelmont wrote:See, I knew we had more vociferous sexist assholes in this community besides DN, I was wondering when the rest of the crew would show up. And here they are, right on cue! It's like 4chan, but without the underage mascot!

I don't think the Tiny Brontosaur is legal.

McFrugal

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Lottel wrote:McFrugal, the very first post in this thread here has all the information the rest of these guys do in the tl;dr blog.

It's the timeline from the ex's point of view.

Erm, I don't think the first post in this thread is what you meant, but yeah, I initially got someone else's report of the tl;dr section of the blog, then read that section myself, then read the whole long version like an hour ago. That's where the "pathological liar" part came from in my last post.

Mongrel wrote:Man, there sure are a lot of charged emotions being flung around for something no one here had any direct personal stake in. I mean, you might empathize with any one of the protagonists/antagonists, you might decry the broader situation, but the response from some quarters sure has been out of proportion to, well... anything about this story, really. I mean, the barebones is that a noted video game developer with a significant fan base may or may not have slept with several people to further her career. That's... really small potatoes.

To be absolutely clear, I'm not saying that depression isn't a personal thing, or to dismiss the opinion of a board member who might feel important personal connections to Depression Quest (which - whatever personal issues the creator might have had - is a good thing that should have been made). It's just that watching the brouhaha about Zoe Quinn's personal life feels the same to me as watching Twilight fans talking about Kristen Stewart sleeping with Rupert Sanders; it's tabloid stuff dressed up as news.

I suppose that people's personal lives bleeding into their public lives is something that the internet enables. Is that good? Is it bad? If I say I don't like it in most cases, maybe that just makes me sound old?

Unfortunately, she did not just cheat on her boyfriend to further her career. She made up a bunch of stupid drama to promote her game/herself, and likely ruined thefineyoungcapitalists' chances of doing some real charity work. On top of this, she's running damage control, which has involved a false DMCA takedown notice alongside pulling strings in at least one place to erase other criticism. One of the mods at Reddit is/was basically doing her dirty work.
If it were just about her cheating on her boyfriend and lying to him a lot, I wouldn't really give a shit, aside from saying "well I hope she doesn't lie to people she's selling games to or something". She has wronged far more people than just her boyfriend, and thus it is a Big Deal.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:05 pm

The reddit mod in question was doing what the rules state should happen in the case of doxxing and notifying the person whose information is being leaked to the internet, while also deleting posts leading to doxxing, as is part of the administrative rules of reddit. The children at /r/gaming deciding he must have been in cahoots with Zoe Quinn are hilarious and all, but if you want to see a transparent explanation of mod behavior from the event, go read the mod post on /r/games.

I realize too late that you're just spouting the reddit misogyny crew's talking points without actually having any adult insight into the situation; this should have been obvious when you started spewing your textual diarrhea all over this without actually reading the blog post that began this whole ordeal.

I hope I get to read all your wonderful ideas about Anita Sarkeesian soon.

McFrugal

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 pm

ocksi wrote:The reddit mod in question was doing what the rules state should happen in the case of doxxing and notifying the person whose information is being leaked to the internet, while also deleting posts leading to doxxing, as is part of the administrative rules of reddit. The children at /r/gaming deciding he must have been in cahoots with Zoe Quinn are hilarious and all, but if you want to see a transparent explanation of mod behavior from the event, go read the mod post on /r/games.

I realize too late that you're just spouting the reddit misogyny crew's talking points without actually having any adult insight into the situation; this should have been obvious when you started spewing your textual diarrhea all over this without actually reading the blog post that began this whole ordeal.

I hope I get to read all your wonderful ideas about Anita Sarkeesian soon.

Ah, it was standard protocol to contact her, then. That explains that, and it sounds like most of the deleted stuff people complained about was from raging babynerds overwhelming the threads. However, in a different part of reddit that I got some links from, there was a mod that said some stuff got deleted that maybe shouldn't have, so he approved the posts himself.

Those are some great assumptions there about the "reddit misogyny crew". I am not actually spouting any talking points. These are my own opinions, thank you very much. And what exactly makes you think I started posting here before finding out what happened for myself, hmm? No, I heard some people yelling about her, noticed Zara on twitter claiming she was being attacked, and so with two conflicting sources of information I went to find out what was going on for myself. I did NOT go to reddit for that information, I only found a thread on it while looking for more information.
As for Anita Sarkeesian, that's off-topic, and I honestly haven't looked into the drama surrounding her enough to form an opinion I'm confident in sharing.

Edit: Wait, do I actually need to say that I'm not a misogynist?

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I think standard form would be for you to go back to your first post and add, "I'm not a misogynist, but..." to the very beginning.

EDIT: and if you're really wondering where I got the idea you didn't read everything you've been posting about, it's about a page up, where you say you didn't read the thing you've been posting about, just the TL;DR.

And the /r/pcmasterrace mod who talked about things being deleted that shouldn't have was another (/r/pcmasterrace) mod doing the same damage control as other mods in other subreddits, but accidentally hitting a thread the first mod invited the creation of as a sort cesspool to keep the excess from flooding out. The deleted containment area was then restored and seems to be the thread you're drawing all your information from. But reading posts is hard.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Classic got into nalcohol, So drunk classic is gonna field some times!

Since we're fielding all sorts for fun conspiracy theory stuff dotay:
youtube DCMA claims are actually pretty easy to file, and you can fraudulently file on someone else's behalf claiming to be them with basically no requirement on your part to prove you're the infringed-upon property holder.

Again:
the real problem I'm having with this is that a bunch of misogynists are using this as an opportunity to punish a woman for doing something. Any kind of punitive effort is undermined because all of the spokespeople who I've seen crying out for restitution from Quinn refer to heras a whore or worse, and only when it's pointed out how fucked up that is do these people endeavor to draw focus to things I'd actually believe are failures of integrity that I should care about.

It reeks of trying to justify an irrational, overzealous response.
See also: the reports that surfaced that Brown happened to be in a convenience store around the time it was robbed before he was fatally shot, while unarmed. by a police officer.

Whatever real grievances there are here aren't being given airtime because the people promoting it have a problem with "compromised journalistic integrity", or "abuse of fanbase trust", or "abuse of dmca". It's, first and foremost, because the people giving airtime to this discussion have a problem with women.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:57 pm

this is weird.

Help. Drunk classic can't figure out how to doelete poss.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 pm

TedBelmont wrote:Image

Later, nerds!

Bon Voyage, Amigo.

McFrugal

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 pm

ocksi wrote:I think standard form would be for you to go back to your first post and add, "I'm not a misogynist, but..." to the very beginning.

EDIT: and if you're really wondering where I got the idea you didn't read everything you've been posting about, it's about a page up, where you say you didn't read the whole thing, just the TL;DR, then later go on to read the whole thing.

And the /r/pcmasterrace mod who talked about things being deleted that shouldn't have was another (/r/pcmasterrace) mod doing the same damage control as other mods in other subreddits, but accidentally hitting a thread the first mod invited the creation of as a sort cesspool to keep the excess from flooding out. But reading posts is hard.

Are you serious?
Maybe you should go look at the tl;dr part then. That's quite enough to talk about what I was talking about, along with other information. Maybe you think I'm parroting talking points because the talking points you refer to are the normal reaction to this bullshit? None of this changes anything I said in the first post I made.

Should I mention I don't frequent reddit? Would that make you feel better? I don't even like the place, overall. Regardless, it's good to hear nothing weird was going on with the moderation there.

Classic: I haven't seen anyone else of note call her a whore. It's just me. Also, there's a red X to the left of the EDIT button that you can push to delete your own posts.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 pm

I thought I had ego problems.

You're not the only person who's described Quinn in those terms or worse. You can find them without too much problem with a quick google.
Or better still, don't, because fuck those people.