Depression Quest

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Depression Quest

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:06 pm

So it looks like Depression Quest got a Steam release today.

On the same day Robin Williams died of suspected suicide.

I hope that's not a coincidence, because if it is, that's... probably not helping.

Blossom

Re: Why did this even happen?

Postby Blossom » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Brentai wrote:So it looks like Depression Quest got a Steam release today.

On the same day Robin Williams died of suspected suicide.

I hope that's not a coincidence, because if it is, that's... probably not helping.

Well, the story appears to be that Zoe Quinn, maker of Depression Quest, is an incredibly terrible person.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:42 am

That's great and all, but game designers being gigantic twats really only comes in to play when they start canceling sequels because people might say mean things. 'Person lies in relationship' though shitty shouldn't really come up when considering playing her game, only if you're considering sexing her.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 am

Knowing that much about her makes it impossible to relate in any way to what she's on about though. Not in a judgmental, "You are a bad person and I'm not listening to you" sense, but in a "Your problems are clearly very, very different than mine and I don't really have time in my life to add yours to mine" sense.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:52 am

beatbandito wrote:That's great and all, but game designers being gigantic twats really only comes in to play when they start canceling sequels because people might say mean things. 'Person lies in relationship' though shitty shouldn't really come up when considering playing her game, only if you're considering sexing her.

As much as I personally dislike nerd queen bees, I'll have to side with Beat on this one.

Depression Quest would sell for a lot more money if she had left the sex bits in, though.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 am

I think it's becoming increasingly difficult to separate indie devs from their products, because their work is at the very least assumed to be much more personal than corporate-produced games, and much of their time is tied up in promoting themselves as much as the game. Whether that's a good or bad thing is open to debate, but in a case like this, where someone builds their personal brand on honesty, integrity, etc, and then turns out to be the complete and total opposite of those things, that's a problem.

It's similar to, but not exactly like, the Doug TenNapel problem. Yes, he's a talented artist, but he's also a right-wing nutjob. Which is fine, up until the point where his nuttery starts spilling over into his work, at which point it becomes impossible to separate the artist from the art, and the whole thing winds up tainted.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:16 pm

I suppose that especially with as personal and serious a topic as coping with depression, with the news that the author is a manipulative and pathological liar, I have trouble trusting in the sincerity of her writing.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:16 pm

I don't.

Healy

Postby Healy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Not even close to done with this yet, but this line:
Zoe is in fact a pretty solid narrative designer. And if there’s any significant fault to find in her narrative design, it’s that she never stops doing it.

is like, daaaaaamn.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm

There is no product that matches the search criteria.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Odd. When I click that link, even after refreshing, it looks like this:

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Let me bold some stuff
http://www.ralph-lauren.us.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=lychee

The real site is http://www.ralphlauren.com/

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:56 am

TA wrote:I suppose that especially with as personal and serious a topic as coping with depression, with the news that the author is a manipulative and pathological liar, I have trouble trusting in the sincerity of her writing.

And now her twitter and tumblr accounts have both been hacked, and all her emails, home address, phone numbers, family phone numbers were posted there.

Is that sincerity enough for you?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 am

but at least that slut got what's coming to her, right?

*tips fedora*

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 am

Yeah, that's fucked up. No one should have that done to them. And thinking over what I said previously, while her behavior does raise questions about her ethics, this is something that should have remained a private matter. There was no reason for this dude to go public. He just wanted revenge, and now he's got it, I guess.

Now, if it were, say, a dude who writes children's books for DC Comics sending unsolicited dick pics to a number of female comics professionals and fans, then yeah, that dude should be publicly exposed(heh) and shamed. But there's no way that would ever happen, right?

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 am

No, Zoe Quinn is a sack of shit. There's way too much shit against her. And no, this isn't a private matter -- she literally fucked a journalist writing about her. That's pretty much the definition of corruption right there. And no, she probably wasn't hacked. She's probably lying about that, in an attempt to garner sympathy and to purge her archives as a means of damage control.

Her cheating with multiple people including her married boss also speaks to her character. The first time I ever heard of Zoe Quinn, it was after she was harassed and intimidated for attempting to release her game, Depression Quest, on Steam via Greenlight. But if you look around, the only evidence of a campaign against her are a couple of image board posts calling her a bitch and her accusations on her twitter feed. In other words, there's no tangible evidence she was ever actually the victim of online harassment.

Depression Quest might be free on Steam, but she's got a donation page. She's participating in a game jam taking donations (speaking of which, she got another, for charity, game jam shut down). She's probably going to be paid to talk at conventions. And she getting to do this by fucking people and fucking other people over.
For the White Witch!

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 am

Disposable Ninja wrote:she literally fucked a journalist writing about her.

If this was the entirety of the causes levied, then yes, I would really have liked to discuss that.

But the very post that brought up the accusations was a sort of butthurt dwelling into intimacy only the most jilted of ex-boyfriends can perform. That wasn't an accusation of corruption, it was an open attempt to get the howler monkeys on her back screeching SLUT all the way.

And because of that - because the gaming community can't discuss the grownup problems like grownups, they have to brand a fucking scarlet letter at first provocation - is why, out of the two possibilities of --

1) a woman having her internet accounts hacked because the internet is horrible
2) a woman posting her family's personal info online in an attempt to garner sympathy

-- considering number 2 would be ridiculous, let alone defending it as more probable than 1.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 am

zaratustra wrote:
Disposable Ninja wrote:she literally fucked a journalist writing about her.

If this was the entirety of the causes levied, then yes, I would really have liked to discuss that.

But the very post that brought up the accusations was a sort of butthurt dwelling into intimacy only the most jilted of ex-boyfriends can perform. That wasn't an accusation of corruption, it was an open attempt to get the howler monkeys on her back screeching SLUT all the way.

And because of that - because the gaming community can't discuss the grownup problems like grownups, they have to brand a fucking scarlet letter at first provocation - is why, out of the two possibilities of --

1) a woman having her internet accounts hacked because the internet is horrible
2) a woman posting her family's personal info online in an attempt to garner sympathy

-- considering number 2 would be ridiculous, let alone defending it as more probable than 1.

Not trying to be a dick, but I'm not entirely sure I understand what it is that you're trying to get across here. Now, I did not know her family's private information was made public, but, then again, if Quinn did that to them to garner sympathy for herself, I wouldn't be surprised. Horrible people do horrible things, I've learned that from personal experience.

As for the other thing... okay. So? I mean, maybe the boyfriend's reasoning was entirely petty, but this woman built her entire career on lies and manipulation. Everything that's currently happening to her is because of her own actions. Those 'howler monkeys' calling her a slut? She used those very same monkeys to attack and humiliate an internet community, Wizardchan, made up of people with actual severe depression and crippling social anxiety, under what is by now almost certainly made-up accusations of harassment and doxing, all just to promote her and her game. The reason this story broke in the first place was because she cheated on her boyfriend with multiple people, and it turned out that those people were the very reason she was successful in the first place.
For the White Witch!