Depression Quest

McFrugal

Re: Depression Quest

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Classic wrote:I thought I had ego problems.

You're not the only person who's described Quinn in those terms or worse. You can find them without too much problem with a quick google.
Or better still, don't, because pineapple those people.

Ego problems? I don't understand. I already did a quick google and did not find anyone of note, like I said. There was like, one person on the bottom of the first page on a site I hadn't heard of before, and a bunch of false positives above it.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 pm

You're not the only person who's described Quinn in those terms or worse. You can find them without too much problem with a quick google.

But he came up with all those talking points without any point of reference, including reading the original post! He's so smart and he only agrees with all the misogyny because it's the right answer! He only uses slurs because she deserves it!

McFrugal

Postby McFrugal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 pm

ocksi wrote:

But he came up with all those talking points without any point of reference, including reading the original post! He's so smart and he only agrees with all the misogyny because it's the right answer! He only uses slurs because she deserves it!

I already said I went and found all that shit on my own, AND read the original post. The tl;dr is written by the same guy! What the fuck is misogynistic about thinking a woman who does terrible things is a terrible person?

I think I'm done here.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Admin Edit: NSFW response.

edit: Haha, I knew it was borderline. Anyway, when you keep bringing up things that never happened but were talked about on reddit, it's hard to believe you either weren't following along on reddit, or weren't following along with someone else who was. So bear flipping his balls is still my response.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:35 pm

McFrugal, the terrible things you seem to think she's done start with exploiting sex.

McFrugal wrote:Ego problems? I don't understand.
You aren't really among the referent people.
You're the person here, yes. Here I care way more about people not being pieces of shit.

If you're not finding people saying heinous shit about Quinn, then good on you.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Why did this even happen?

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 am

Zoe Quinn, maker of Depression Quest, is an incredibly terrible person.

the author is a manipulative and pathological liar

Zoe Quinn is a sack of shit.

terrible things happen to people who are themselves terrible

Zoe Quinn is a deplorable person.

you are a scumbag.

she is an emotionally abusive, manipulative monster.

You're just a vile sack of shit.

Zoe Quinn is a lying, cheating, manipulative whore.

she is a whore

her boss is a scumbag, and the other guys are dicks

She is a whore for sleeping with her boss.

The dudes are not victims, they are dicks.

I knew we had more vociferous sexist assholes in this community

It is an extreme term, but she is an extremely bad person.

Look.

You've all seen this video before. The same principle applies here.

If you disagree with what Zoe Quinn, her ex-boyfriend, Disposable Ninja, or Barack Obama did, then that's one thing.

But a lot of you seem to disagree with what you believe these people - human fucking beings, with human fucking failures, just like you and especially like me - what you seem to believe these people are.

Step back for a moment. Take a look at what you are doing, and why you are doing it. Is this how you want the world to measure your worth, too?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:17 am

McFrugal wrote:Unfortunately, she did not just cheat on her boyfriend to further her career. She made up a bunch of stupid drama to promote her game/herself, and likely ruined thefineyoungcapitalists' chances of doing some real charity work. On top of this, she's running damage control, which has involved a false DMCA takedown notice alongside pulling strings in at least one place to erase other criticism. One of the mods at Reddit is/was basically doing her dirty work.
If it were just about her cheating on her boyfriend and lying to him a lot, I wouldn't really give a shit, aside from saying "well I hope she doesn't lie to people she's selling games to or something". She has wronged far more people than just her boyfriend, and thus it is a Big Deal.

Even if this is all completely true (and I'm not saying it is or isn't - I don't know anyone involved very well and have only skimmed an article or two here), it's still important to note that there is no way this is more important than decent, civil relations on this board, between people who've known each other for fifteen years or more (I am not saying you yourself are doing this).

I mean, look at all the vitriol Brent was able to quote. That's... holy geez, that's a ton, even if most of it was from one poster. She may have wronged a lot of people how? By letting down vulnerable fans who had a reasonable expectation that her character was higher than it turns out it is. Okay. She is/was a well-known, rapidly rising artist. Yes. So sure, the situation something worth speaking about. It is worth screaming about?

If people might step back a moment, they might see that this is a lot smaller and more distant than the internet makes it seem. It is, in the grand scheme of things, not unimportant, but it's sure not vital.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 am

I left out the sources on purpose, but rest assured it's neither a single poster nor a single viewpoint doing it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:24 am

Well I said most, not all. If it was just one person having a meltdown, I'm not sure I'd have even said anything.

There's a real sense of... betrayal people are feeling. It's palpable. The thing is, as far as I know Quinn has never made any promise - explicit or implicit - of her character. And even if she had... so what then? So a video game designer promoting positive social causes turned out to be a liar? Okay? That happens. It's disappointing, but no more than that.

Feet of clay or not, this more simply a messy personal issue that's leaked out, with all the subsequent haz-mat spillage that seems to come with these things nowadays. It might be our business, in a passing way, but it's not our fight.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:28 am

TL;DR. I'm not saying this isn't worth talking about, but by god, it sure as fuck ain't worth attacking each other about, and it may not even be worth getting very upset about at all.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:43 am

Mongrel wrote:Well I said most, not all.

It is not mostly a single poster or a mostly a single viewpoint doing it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 am

Fair enough.

kashan

Postby kashan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:34 am

I know I almost never come out of lurking to actually say anything here, but I wanted to thank beatbandito for his post. It was very helpful to me and can't have been easy to write.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:00 am

I didn't say anything earlier, but yeah, BB's post is probably the best in the thread. I think a lot of folks do similar things at least once in a while, but are more willing to rationalize it away with one excuse or other.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 am

An indie developer just got his skype account hijacked and everyone in his chat list was spammed repeatedly with how we were terrible beings for letting a woman have sex or something.

It's not often you have to rally against a group which is vile in its motivation, its rationalization AND its methods.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Ziiro wrote:he's pretty biased against ... social justice

Incidentally, that's a pretty harsh indictment of someone in my book.

I tried to watch that video before you linked it and only managed to get about 2 minutes in before I came to the conclusion this person must be terrible in their apathy and there was no possible way their opinion on the subject could be worthwhile.
It seemed like going to FOX for political talking points.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Ars reviews Depression Quest, does not review Zoe Quinn's personal life.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

The punchline to the whole affair would be that Zoe constructed this narrative in cooperation with her ex to get Depression Quest more media attention.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:26 pm

I've tried to post a couple times on this already and realized I'm getting too old for an old-fashioned, Thaddeus Xavier Boyd longform post, but simply: Sex in the workplace happens more often and matters less than what a lot of people on the anti-Quinn side of this argument seem to think.

*If that's not what you meant the X to stand for for all those years, you were doing it wrong.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:17 pm

No no no, MY X stands for Xavier. His X stands for X.