Times of minor unpleasantness

atog

Re: Times of minor unpleasantness

Postby atog » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:33 pm

yeah I figured they were just scrambling. I was headed down to the lobby with our handcart when they met me at the top floor, straining to move these fuckers out the elevator.

it's one of those "if I could afford a car" moments. If I could just go to the curbside and load $350 worth of cat food and cat sand into my own vehicle and drive it safely home and unload it in OSHA-approved load sizes and parcel filling limits and all that.

It would still cost more per year than our entire annual cat care budget including Jake's dental work. Still feels like shit to get a shipment in this state.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:03 pm

Usually my daughter gets sick, and I'm a bit under the weather for 24 to 36 hours before it bounces. This last cold was the opposite, she was feverish and miserable without medicine but her usual self with a hit of children's ibuprofen, and shook it off inside of two days, whereas I was laid flat for four days before the chills and weakness went away.

but now that that's over, my immune system has set its sights on the real enemy: my own skin

I had a couple eczema patches on my wrists before I got sick, and they got better while I was ill with whatever the hell that was, and now they're all over my hands, up my arms, onto my face. There's a patch on the little patch of skin between my nostrils, which sucks, and on the inside of my right ear, which is worse.

So I'm just sort of methodically implementing at-home treatments one by one before I make a doctor's appointment, so I can definitively say that the usual first line of defense -- humidity and lotion and cool showers -- ain't working.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 am

that sounds majorly unpleasant to me!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:47 am

Doctor said it was scabies and prescribed me a pesticide to rub into my skin.

The pharmacy was out of the stuff, because good lord I can't find a pharmacy that isn't utter fucking clownshoes no matter what. So before I could get the stuff to kill off the tiny bugs infesting my skin, things just... started clearing up on their own. I've still got a few marks from where the skin broke rather than just getting really inflamed, but skin mites don't just go away on their own. It really was just extra-dry skin and an overactive inflammatory system.

So now that that's healing I've got a lasting sinus headache and congestion. I can't just not have anything wrong, what would be the fun in that?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:51 pm

We finally caught the rona
We finally caught the rona
We finally caught the rooanaaaaaa
But we're lucky it's not so bad

Seriously, the strain we got just feels like a cold, thank fuck. We're not laid on our backs or unable to function or anything like that. Starr has a minor moss of taste so that's about it for actual rona-specific symptoms (yes, this is after confirmed home testing).

Hopefully it stays this mild and then ends tidily. Guess all those jabs were good for something after all, huh?

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:48 pm

A hawk massacred a pigeon on our balcony today. It wrestled it to the ground and started eating it while it was still alive. Pretty much eviscerated the poor bastard and gorged itself until all that was left was the wings and some scraps of viscera.

Ollie and Minnie enjoyed the show, though.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:15 am

Ordered a new tablet last month, found out it was never delivered, at least not to me.

Postie took a picture of the package at "our" door (what a lovely new trend of completely useless performative nonsense) as if that would stand as proof of anything at all. First thing I notice is that the door's unit number was very oddly awkwardly cropped out. Second thing I notice that that the details (doorknob, marks on door, carpet edge) actually show a completely different door than ours. So it's not proof of delivery, it's proof of fuckup. Good job you idiot.

Now comes the hassle of trying to get someone to cave so I can get a replacement. At $700, I'm sure there will be no end of pissing and whinging and trying to avoid blame. I really hope this doesn't end with me having to ask for a chargeback and ending up with no tablet.