Times of minor unpleasantness

Classic

Times of minor unpleasantness

Postby Classic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:04 am

I'll admit it:
I just wanted to have one small moment where my whiny, entitled problems were worthy of some small mention on these boards.

I was dumb and caught a hook-kick to the head. Now I have a headache. Derp.

I suppose I am also soliciting amateur medical advice.
I'm on Ibuprofen and I guess I'm not going to sleep until the concussed window is passed (though I have zero concussion symptoms beyond headache, so..).

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Times of minor unpleasantness

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:12 am

Classic wrote:I'll admit it:
I was dumb and caught a hook-kick to the head. Now I have a headache. Derp.

Uhhhh that might not be a minor problem. Has somebody at least somewhat qualified looked at you?

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 am

Had pads, including a helmet (which will occasionally cause headaches just by being on too tight) and zero other concussion symptoms.
And that was four hours ago now...
So...
Not much I can do other than let it rest. I think.

Hmmm.
Though I did have a lot of bile while working out, usually my stomach has stopped being upset by now.
So I guess we can add nausea to the list.

You're free to point out the futility of gauging the efficacy of a damaged instrument with that same instrument, but I don't think I'm having any motor, memory, or speaking problems (beyond my usual, anyway). Which is why my initial appraisal of the situation was that I had no other symptoms.

EDIT:
So, apparently I am dumb as shit and taking ibuprofen when you're at risk of a concussion is a dumb idea. To make matters doubly exciting, I am pretty sure I don't have any acetaminophen in this house.

Well, if I have complications, at least I'll have told everyone under the sun so if it's bad, at least the doctors will have no trouble piecing the story together.

EDIT EDIT:
Snuck out to get some acetaminophen and noticed that after about 10 minutes of freaking the fuck out over a possible concussion, I'd developed basically all of the other symptoms I'd just read about, but my headache had mostly subsided. Yaaay hypochondria?

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am

Last week at work, I clocked myself in the face with the battery end of a power drill. I was attempting to unscrew a bolt with it, but the bolt was screwed in too tight, and the drill itself whipped around and hit me right on the chin. My jaw hurt right at the back where the two parts connect(what WebMD calls the temporomandibular joint) for several hours afterward, and I still have a little soreness sometimes when I chew.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am

Guys I'm not sure any of these things are actually minor.

I mean yes it's easy to see how they could have been worse, but still.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am

Sometimes you gotta slap some duct tape on it and keep going.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 am

Well, it's not like it's a constant pain, or even an intermittent pain. When I say sore, I mean just barely sore enough to register. My shoulder hurts worse, and I've been living with that for years.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah sometimes I think about just giving up on life and ending it all. No big deal.
For the White Witch!

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:02 pm

O. Didn't expire in the night.
But that doesn't belong in this thread.

OR DOES IT!?

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Please don't, DN.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 pm

No intention of it, sorry if I gave the impression. I was just making fun of the way everybody seems to underestimate their own personal problems.
For the White Witch!

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:32 am

I think I mentioned way back about taking care of my grandmother during her last month and my grandfather while he went through chemo. He ended up becoming cancer free for a bit over a year, but now it's back and they aren't going to treat him. I've volunteered to go back and take care of him for however long we're looking at, because it's the only realistic way he'll be able to stay in his home for the duration, and that's all he wants right now.

I leave Tuesday and have never been simultaneously more depressed, anxious, and lonely than I've felt since I made the decision a week ago. I demand your sympathy!

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:49 am

I understand how you feel, but maybe it would be better to look at it as an opportunity to spend time with your grandfather before he goes than as a burden?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 am

I don't have words for you. Only this.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 am

I understand how you feel, but maybe it would be better to look at it as an opportunity to spend time with your grandfather before he goes than as a burden
I don't see it as a burden, it's just difficult to prepare myself. Last time, I gave up my entire life and I've spent almost exactly one year trying to get everything back together and while I don't have as much to give up as I did then (my job, my home, the town I loved to live in), I think I still feel like the last year of rebuilding a life here has been almost for nothing and it's been really tough to kiss it all goodbye.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:31 am

Jesus, that sounds difficult. Sorry to hear.

François

Postby François » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 am

Well, in any case, this is admirably virtuous of you, and the difficulty of it only drives the point home further. You're definitely not what's wrong with America. Hat's off, mon ami.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am

I don't have enough emoticons feelicons to explain my sympathy.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 pm

That is rough indeed man. My own grandfather's 90 now and has also had recent-ish cancer that he doesn't really want to be treated for if it comes back. But I won't have to give up everything to care for him when that happens.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:00 pm

You know when, like, it's cold and dry, and you stretch a thin piece of skin and it cracks and tears a little bit? Usually chapped lips, or corners of the mouth, or sometimes between toes and the like?

I seem to have done this to the outside corner of my right eyelid.