Times of minor unpleasantness

Büge

Re: Times of minor unpleasantness

Postby Büge » Fri May 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Hardly Ideal wrote:Is it just me, or does Wikipedia manage to put some of its nastiest photos right at the top of their medical/anatomical pages?

Well, they're letting you know what you're getting into. "You wanna know what a Fistula is? Well, here you go, Curious George!"

patito

Postby patito » Fri May 20, 2016 4:00 pm

MarsDragon wrote:The worst of it seems to have healed up and I've still got the main chalazion so I'm just going to keep an eye on it

I GET IT

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:43 pm

I went to help my dad fix my mom's car, since the current problem is a massive one requiring taking off a ton of shit off the engine.

Since my mother is the living incarnation of >:V she literally would not shut the fuck up for two hours straight of unbroken nagging, which is bad even by her standards. I was pretty glad we hit a "can't do this job without several special tools" wall so soon so that I could fucking leave.

Of course I've actually experienced far worse from her over the years, so I wasn't even really angry, just fucking exhausted. Jesus Christ woman we are here to fix your car so you can continue to ramble around like the deranged addict you are, holy fuck shut the everloving fuck up and let me have some peace and quiet.

François

Postby François » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 am

Good grief. Ingratitude after the fact is hardly uncommon, but during the fact? That's always a kick in the pants. Ye're a saint, broseph.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:00 pm

My brother even got mad at me. Basically, his opinion is that "Mom is essentially a child, so you need to treat her like a parent would for a kid screaming in a grocery store and just learn to ignore everything she says like some kind of zen guru and never get mad at her."

Which is like, okay, that's technically true (she pretty much lives in a constant state of enraged infantile terror) and is really nice if you can do it man, but someone >:V -ing at me for hours is beyond my patience currently, especially given my mother's near perfect ability to start barking again just when you think she's finally going to be quiet for a bit, ahaha did you think you were going to catch a break? You fool!

And if she was LITERALLY a child, I could give her a time-out or something.

Anyway, we ain't none of us saints in this family.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Yeah you're not the first person I know that's had this problem. It seems incredibly frustrating and disappointing to have to deal with that on a regular basis.

At a certain point you do have to decide whether or not she is even capable of acting like an adult.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Parents are capable of putting up with their children's bullshit because they know they can get lifelong traumatizing revenge any time they want.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:02 pm

I mean, I get a lot less mad at her than I used to.

But this is because I live in another part of town and not the same house.

What really amazes me is how gracious my brother can be about her, because she's essentially ruined his life completely, forcing him to live against his will as a stunted man-child for a decade longer than even the most patient person would put up with. Like he will go downtown to go to a bar with some friends and she will follow him and try to even drive him home. MY BROTHER IS A GROWN-ASS THIRTY-YEAR OLD MAN. HOLY FUCK WOMAN, LEAVE HIM ALONE.

Sure, that happened to me too, but I just moved out when I was in my early 20's and that was it. I didn't make a fuss, I just told her I was moving out and she just accepted it. Whereas she only let Andrew move out last year... and that was only across the road and he still gives her most of the money he earns working two jobs, six or seven days a week (which, to be fair, is money that she and dad would be grossly insolvent without).

I mean, it's not like my brother never gets mad at her ever, but he is a better person than I will ever be. You want to talk about a fucking saint, it's him.

François

Postby François » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm not too keen on the child analogy. If an 8 year old is being an insufferable brat, they're still more or less malleable. They haven't fully become who they will be yet, and the way they are treated and the way people behave around them has some influence on how they will one day treat others and behave themselves. If someone 50+ (a completely arbitrary number but you know what I mean) is being an insufferable brat, that's it, game over, you can buy a tombstone in advance and chisel "here lies an obnoxious twat" on it, it'll be money well spent.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:45 pm

I mean, it's not like my brother never gets mad at her ever, but he is a better person than I will ever be. You want to talk about a fucking saint, it's him.

I mean, I don't want to talk about a situation I have no real knowledge of, (but I'm about to do it anyway, but bear in mind I'm 100% ready to admit I don't know what I'm talking about here) but that sounds less like a "saint" and more like codependency to me.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Well she's certainly dependent on him, but the reverse isn't really true though. He puts up with it because removal of his support would only worsen things, perhaps catastrophically, and at the end of the day she's her mother and neither he nor I are the type to just cut all ties with a parent completely.

He has a long term plan to very gradually extricate himself, and it's not mere rationalization (for instance he successfully planned to move out and finally did so, though it took him I think more than a year longer than intended). Nor does he always put up with her bullshit and he'll refuse to talk to her she oversteps the already far-too-generous boundaries he's set up for her in his life. But I don't know how anyone could be so patient as he has.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Went to order from my favorite neighborhood pizza place, Nello's.

Their website was down but I had their number in my phone.

The guy who answered said "Thanks for calling Happy Joe's."

Nello's shut down yesterday, after a pretty fucking abrupt announcement on the 15th.

And who the hell knows, maybe this place will be okay. I went ahead and ordered my sandwiches. But it won't be the place I've been going for the last 25 years.

There are still two Nello's left. One of them, at least, is on the way to my in-laws' house, but it's not just around the corner anymore.

I don't think I've been this bummed about losing a restaurant since Greasy Tony's. It's a small thing in the scheme of things, but fuck.

I suspect the reason I missed that article on the New Times site is that their mobile design is fucking awful and I frequently just reflexively close it in disgust.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:24 am

It turns out Happy Joe's has a pretty good turkey avocado sandwich, anyway. Not quite as good as Nello's but pretty close. I'll have to try the pizza next time.

Still disappointed to have lost my favorite neighborhood pizza place. But now I've got a new neighborhood pizza place. I don't know if it'll be my favorite but so far it seems like it's pretty good, anyway.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:30 am

I'd say I feel your pain but I honestly can't imagine any of my favorite places staying open for 25 years.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Moving sucks in general, but moving especially sucks when just under a month ago you moved five hours away, then tomorrow you're moving another six hours... to an hour away from where you were previously living. Unfortunately, I had no way of that getting my new job so close to where I was living was a possibility at the time.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am

I've been sick since the Sunday of Brontokon. I returned, jet-lagged and coughing unceasingly every time I lay down, and haven't gotten enough sleep in almost two weeks. I need to be done with this and get the energy to make my Miriam cosplay for Gen Con. (Also, I did go to the doctor, he just said "It's a cold you'll get over it, $25 plz")

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:07 pm

It's... *checks non-existent wristwatch* ...not even 9:00am local time. What's happened so far?

-Mrs. Ideal and I woke up late. As the human alarm clock, this is completely my fault.
-Forgot my phone in Mrs. Ideal's car. Don't normally even need it for anything outside of Facebook, but I feel I will today.
-Late morning means shit fast-food breakfast (and no breakfast for Mrs.!)
-About... *counts on fingers* ...a zillion doors worth of lockers to draw for at least two clients, plus trade show demo. All of 'em need to be finished yesterday.

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Not really shitty per se, but I'll put it here anyway.

"Your brother is buying something expensive from the US and he WON'T TELL ME WHAT IT IS! Can you find out if HE'S BUYING A GUN?!?!?!? IS HE going to go on a SHOOTING RAMPAGE?!?!"

"You're legitimately offending me here mom, Jesus fucking Christ."

Like holy crap, my brother is a normal person (insofar as anyone with our upbringing can be normal). And buys stuff online all the time, I might add, like any normal person. How fucking tone deaf and unaware of your own son's personality do you have to be to think up these ideas... I don't even know anymore.

François

Postby François » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Well, she's trustworthy, she gives good advice, and she deserves to know everything that happens in her household, so if he makes a major purchase without telling her or consulting her then it must be bad.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Plus, the only thing the USA manufactures anymore is shooting sprees, so we had to find an export market for them somewhere.