Things That Go Directly into Your Fucking Eyes

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Things That Go Directly into Your Fucking Eyes

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:56 pm

So, my new job comes with a benefits, and one of those benefits is a vision plan. I realized I should prooobably use my vision plan before 2014 ended, so I met with my eye doctor on December 30th and got an updated perscription. I also got my first pair of contacts.

Two days later, my vision plan reset and I got a new pair of glasses to replace the ones I ran over with my bike four times.

So far, contacts are amazing. My eyes WORK again! THE WORLD IS BEAUTIFUL AND SO AM I

Such has been life for the past few weeks. I am ecstatic. But! I'm approaching the limit of the two sets of two-week contacts they gave me, and I need to get some new ones.

Holy god are contacts more expensive than I thought.

Figured I'd ask: Anyone here use contacts? And if so, where do you get them from?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Things That Go Directly into Your Fucking Eyes

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Well in my experience I thiMY BRAND!!!!!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:15 pm

That's not an actual endorsement of the commercial being parodied in that video, but if their service actually works out for you, hey great.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:43 pm

lens.com was the cheapest website a few years back when I bought online. My current insurance doesn't cover them so it's cheaper to go through my optometrist atm.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Esperath wrote:lens.com was the cheapest website a few years back when I bought online. My current insurance doesn't cover them so it's cheaper to go through my optometrist atm.

This actually looks pretty promising.

Any ideas on what brand to go with? I have no way to tell them apart in terms of cost vs quality.

I assume the Johnson and Johnson one is good but way more expensive than it should be.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59 pm

I've had good experience with Contact Lens King. Though I quit wearing my contacts awhile back since my allergies got bad and my eyes are red all the damn time.

I miss them. And I've got a bunch of unopened boxes. Hopefully the allergy treatments I'm getting will pay some dividends and I'll be able to get back to wearing them.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:08 pm

I have perfect 20/20 vision. Ya'll blind bitches can just go ahead and suck my, as far you're concerned, blurry amorphous dong-shaped protrusion.

it's actually a corndog
For the White Witch!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm

tx m8

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm

I use Acuvue Oasys; they have better oxygen permeability than the earlier Acuvue lenses. I think most brands have a similar newer-gen polymer.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah, I was using those as well up until now. They are really good.

Looks like a year's worth will cost me over $100 for each eye, though.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:51 pm

Yeah, J&J got rid of their annual rebate program last year because they already had a captive audience, and can fully milk that cash cow. I think they also jacked up their prices, because I was paying $80 an eye back in 2011 before rebates.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 pm

If you go with lens.com, know that you'll probably get "free" shipping, but have a "processing charge" tacked on. It was 10bux last I used them, dunno if they're any different now.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:16 am

Started wearing contacts again a few weeks back (due to a zit behind my ear that made it really uncomfortable to wear glasses).

It went okay for a little while but now I've got my spring allergies and my eyes are all red again so I'm back to glasses.

And I've been dizzy to the point of distraction for the past three days or so, leaving me not very functional. Pretty sure it's a middle-ear balance thing from sinus congestion. Thinking of seeing my ENT, but I had an allergist appointment today and she made a few recommendations of things I could try first. Where "things" means "medications". New daily inhaler, a daily steroid to open up my passages, plus some standard over-the-counter decongestant. (She said phenylephrine should work fine, which is nice because (1) I've already got some and (2) pseudophedrine is a huge fucking hassle to keep onhand because you can only buy a few at a time because otherwise I might start a meth lab.)

I hate going on too many new drugs at once, because when I'm not getting dizzy because my ears are plugged, I'm getting dizzy because of weird drug interactions, and it's pretty hard to figure out which new drug is the problem when you go on three at once. (As opposed to a couple of months ago when I switched from Zyrtec to Allegra and it was immediately clear that the Allegra was making me dizzy, so I just switched back to Zyrtec.)

...Very little of this post is actually about contact lenses. But they were my jumping-on point.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:42 am

Can you not phase each drug in a week at a time?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah so, just an update: Eventually just used up the remaining money on my insurance to buy a year supply of Acuvue Oasys monthlies through my eye doctor's website. Cost me about a hundred bucks, in the end, buuut the lenses are good and I can fucking SEE.

Honestly, I'm really, really happy I have contacts instead of glasses.