Spam Bam Thank You Mam

François

Re: Spam Bam Thank You Mam

Postby François » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 pm

The sentence "I'm sorry, your depression is in another castle" comes to mind but I can't imagine a scenario where Bowser keeps stealing Mario's depression and Mario keeps trying to get it back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:57 am

Subject: Shocking News: Megyn Kelly has abruptly exited Fox News!

I'm...honestly kind of curious how that even works. If you're scraping headlines to try and get somebody to open an e-mail with "shocking news" in it, shouldn't it be, like...trivially simple to write a scraper that only scans the homepage of whatever news site it's grabbing shit from? It seems like writing a spambot to scan headlines from a year and a half ago would actually be harder than writing one that just scans current ones.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 am

I'm thinking that when you buy a job lot of verified emails, some traders will throw in a table of pre-generated spam as a bonus, maybe with some metrics on success rates and demographics.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:27 am

Yeah, I guess I can see it as some kind of A/B testing thing. Or a local file to fall back on in case the scraper stops working (gets IP-blocked by the website it's scraping or whatever).