Postby Esperath » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:18 pm

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Fun Facts

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Friday wrote:like how Mikey was super gay or at least bi as fuck but no it was just the close bond two men share when one is the old master and the other is the young nubile apprentice

you know, the bond with their penises

Just remember that the two greatest generals in history (arguably) were both very very VERY gay.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:41 pm

In Nigeria, scammers use computers in Internet cafés to send mass emails promising potential victims riches or romance, and to trawl for replies. They refer to their targets as Magas, slang developed from a Yoruba word meaning "fool".

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:51 pm

A Maga and his Naira are soon parted
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 am

In the process of talking about the game stuff, in the other subforum, I discovered that the NFL once broadcast a completely announcerless game, which seems like an incredibly fascinating experiment. It's interesting how much the plans for it and reaction to it tells us about spectating sports and games in general.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:27 am

In Japanese Hawk and Falcon are written the same way. In European history both birds were very similarly trained and used for hunting, except that hawks were much larger and their talons destroyed more meat of the prey, so they were considered birds for the lower class, while the smaller and more "gentle" falcons were reserved for nobles.

In the official translations for Berserk, the original anime and Dark Horse both used 'Band of the Hawk' the mercenary group that was supposed to actually be 'Band of the Falcon'. The story has them struggling among knights and lords as lowborn mercenaries who earn their place. Plot stuff skipping forward and ten real years after the group disbanded in the story they show up in universe again and are seen as heroes with the leader being declared a holy prophesied king. Dark Horse has also corrected and now refers to the group as 'Band of The Falcon'.

Totally unintended, but completely thematically appropriate.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Yeah, it's kind of funny that everybody went with Band of the Hawk for like ... twenty years? Until there was a story arc called Millennium Falcon where the leader founded a nation called Falconia, and ... uhh ...

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:24 pm

When I originally learned about the Japanese use I thought it was intended that way, I just learned both that that was wrong and about the hunting factoid together in the same place. It didn't help that the scanlations I was reading decided to use both interchangeably during the Conviction arc and introduction of the Falcons of Light & Dark.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Every time a new Canadian "Heritage Minute"* comes out, Guillermo Del Toro retweets it.

*(a one-minute historical short about some interesting or important bit of Canadian history - they used to be on Canada during TV commercials, but they're still being made and now come out online. I daresay a vast number of Canadians have learned much of Canadian history this way.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:13 pm

(twitter thread)

Lots of cool details about how eyes work, some of which I knew others I didn't. In spite of the clickbaity first tweet, the tone drops to a fairly academic one after that.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 pm

The blind spot is always fun to test with a mouse or something.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:25 pm

I actually can't get it to work! I don't know if it's because my eyes are larger than normal or if it's because of the parallax that the thickness of my glasses causes, or what.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 pm

You need to close one eye for the blind spot proof to work. There shouldn't be parallax, by definition.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 pm

TA wrote:You need to close one eye for the blind spot proof to work. There shouldn't be parallax, by definition.

I do close one eye, but still see both.

Parallax is the wrong word. It's more that my lenses are thick enough to have a noticeable prismatic effect when looking at an angle (bright colours will move semi-independently of one another - it's freaky-deaky fun). Plus I have always had very slight double vision, which my glasses must also correct for.

Not that that necessarily explains why I can't seem to get the other letter to disappear.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Try putting your mouse pointer over my post count, staring at my post count with your left eye closed, and dragging your mouse pointer straight right while keeping your gaze locked on it. The clear field below the text should let you find the point where the pointer disappears from your peripheral vision.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Okay, that worked, yeah.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Ratchet the medical Transformer is named after Nurse Ratched.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Thad wrote:Ratchet the medical Transformer is named after Nurse Ratched.

Ohhh wow.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 am

I just assumed he was named after a tool you use to maintain cars.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Me too, but the Nurse Ratched reference is per an interview with Bob Budiansky, who was the first writer on the Marvel comics and named a good big bunch of the characters (as well as writing the bios on their packaging).

I read about it in the end notes in Transformers vs. GI Joe, though it's also mentioned at the beginning of his Wikipedia entry (which is where I found the link to the Budiansky interview).