Fun Facts

nosimpleway

Re: Fun Facts

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah, that's going around, although that's the best quality one I've seen yet. It's also fun with Uptown Funk and It's Raining Men, and

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:18 pm

I clicked that picture like five million times God damn it

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Yeah it's a screenshot of a video link but I figured it was more funny/concise than typing out everything.

Plus it lets me show off my bitchin' rad Peanut Flavor Tumblr theme.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:09 pm

I heard there was a tennis game
Boo laced his shoes and Bowser came
But you don't really care for tennis do you?

It goes like this, a game-set-match
And on his hat he wore a patch
Inverted L, his name was... Waluigi

Wa lu i gi
Wa lu i gi
Wa lu i gi
Wa lu i i i i i i i gi

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:59 pm

nosimpleway wrote:

Fun fact: System of a Down didn't record that Zelda song. It's by a band called The Rabbit Joint.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Today I learned about one of the most hilarious crimes ever, the fact that this happened in real life is both amazing and perfect

On 16 October 1906 Voigt was ready for his next caper. He had purchased parts of used captain's uniforms from different shops and tested their effect on soldiers. He had resigned from the shoe factory ten days previously. He took the uniform out of baggage storage, put it on and went to the local army barracks, stopped four grenadiers and a sergeant on their way back to barracks and told them to come with him. Indoctrinated to obey officers without question, they followed. He dismissed the commanding sergeant to report to his superiors and later commandeered six more soldiers from a shooting range. Then he took a train to Köpenick, east of Berlin, occupied the local city hall with his soldiers and told them to cover all exits. He told the local police to "care for law and order" and to "prevent calls to Berlin for one hour" at the local post office.

He had the treasurer von Wiltberg and mayor Georg Langerhans arrested, supposedly for suspicions of crooked bookkeeping, and confiscated 4002 marks and 37 pfennigs - with a receipt, of course (he signed it with his former jail director's name). Then he commandeered two carriages and told the grenadiers to take the arrested men to the Neue Wache in Berlin for interrogation. He told the remaining guards to stand in their places for half an hour and then left for the train station. He later changed into civilian clothes and disappeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Voigt

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Braid wrote:Fun fact: System of a Down didn't record that Zelda song. It's by a band called The Rabbit Joint.

Pretty sure it was Weird Al.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 am

For those not familiar: Tom Swift was the name of an early science fiction hero who first appeared in 1910. You can get a bunch of the early books at Project Gutenberg (though there have been some subsequent revivals which are not public domain).

Tom's fictional inventions often presaged (or even directly inspired) later real-life innovations. For example, there's a book called Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle.

When NASA researcher Jack Cover went on, in the 1970's, to invent his own electricity-based weapon, he named it after Tom Swift's Electric Rifle. But it isn't immediately obvious how you're supposed to pronounce the acronym "TSER", so he added a vowel.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Don't Tom Swift me, bro

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:46 pm

"Don't Tom Swift me, bro" he cried in shock.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Pretty sure I've done this one before, but:

The first person in America to buy a ticket to a comic book convention was George R R Martin.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:25 pm

nosimpleway wrote:"Don't Tom Swift me, bro" he cried in shock.

You glorious bastard.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Today I learned about the BT Tower:
Upon its completion, the tower was designated an official secret and did not appear on Ordnance Survey maps until after it was officially revealed by Kate Hoey under parliamentary privilege in 1993, despite being a 177-metre (581 ft) tall structure in the middle of central London that was open to the public for about 15 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

TA

Postby TA » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:22 am

Remember the bit in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy met Marion in her bar, and they had this little exchange?
Indy: I never meant to hurt you.
Marion: I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it!
Indy: You knew what you were doing.

Well ... according to the transcript of a 1978 storyline conference, when that was written, the plans was that this would be, um, literal.
George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been the mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.
Lawrence Kasdan: And he was forty-two.
George Lucas: He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.
Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.
George Lucas: He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.
のほも is such a good word?? the concept is kind of hard to fully get across in translation, but basically it means a feeling of pure, deep, platonic affection, and i think thats beautiful

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:18 am

Wasn't that the original plan for Han Solo, too?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 am

Oh Lucas~

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Mel Brooks was pretty much responsible for The Elephant Man being made. He convinced David Lynch to direct, convinced the studio to let it shoot in black & white, and left his name off the production credits because he was afraid it would confuse audiences. But that's not even the best thing:

wiki wrote:When Brooks and Cornfeld screened The Elephant Man to Paramount executives, they wanted the opening and ending cut from the film. Brooks, according to Cornfeld, told them, "We are involved in a business venture. We screened the film for you to bring you up to date as to the status of that venture. Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:07 pm