Computerus

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Computerus

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't know about smaller releases earlier, but wasn't Netscape the first major piece of software release under OSS in '97?

That's if you're splitting hairs and not counting the earlier Free Software Movement/(specifically with the GNU Project) that dates to the 80's.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Mongrel wrote:I don't know about smaller releases earlier, but wasn't Netscape the first major piece of software release under OSS in '97?

A major piece of software, sure, but would you say Netscape was a major company? (And that's without getting into the point that by the time they opened the Netscape codebase, it was a bloated piece of crap that everyone was running away from screaming, and was scrapped entirely not long after and rebuilt from the ground up.)

Mongrel wrote:That's if you're splitting hairs and not counting the earlier Free Software Movement/(specifically with the GNU Project) that dates to the 80's.

I think splitting hairs is exactly what Apple's doing with that statement. (But I don't think anyone would describe the FSF as a major company.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Well, that's still a pretty big hair to split.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:31 am

Well, yes, Apple is quite clearly exaggerating its role as a good open-source citizen.

It DID do a couple of pretty significant things (Darwin made it the world's #1 seller of UNIX OS's, and its fork of KHTML led to that codebase being probably the most widely-used open-source project in the world) back when Microsoft was still ranting and raving about how open-source software was a virus and communism and blah blah blah, and deserves credit for being ahead of the curve. But carefully-crafted sentences declaring yourself the first of something are silly.

Postby Newbie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:08 pm

PC had been more and more truculent about resuming after sleep mode. I thought it might have been related to the windows 10 upgrade that I completed, so I rolled that back. However, the problems persisted. Yesterday, I encountered blue screen errors while booting. They're telling me now that my solid state hard drive is probably bad.

"I have a solid state hard drive?" Apparently so--AND a traditional hard drive! However, if they're right about the SSD being bad, all data on the former is gone forever.

I am not diligent about backups, and since I didn't realize the distinction between my drives, I was not using consistent rules about what gets saved where.

All of this is to say that if I hadn't put the EK4 prototype on a thumb drive for my trip out west, that project would actually be as dead as its thread is.
tiny text

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:21 pm

My god, man, put that in a Dropbox account or something.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:41 pm

TA wrote:My god, man, put that in a Dropbox account or something.

Digital data doesn't exist unless it's on at least three separate drives in at least two physical locations.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:01 pm

The latest Firefox update has made it so when you start typing a thing in the location bar, the top dropdown result is not the most common usage in memory anymore, it's the option to search for that term in your default search engine. Which is what the fucking search bar is for. How do I turn this behavior off?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Wait, really? I'm on FF with automatic update and that still works fine for me.

patito

Postby patito » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:25 pm

It doesn't work fine though, with the new update when you start typing in the bar it'll say "visit so-and-so" when you start typing and that's not necessarily your most visited site that starts with that letter but it sometimes does match up.

It is a very annoying behavior when you're used to the old way of doing things.

Try this http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- ... n-firefox/

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:50 pm

No, I mean my browser still does what TA is describing as pre-update behaviour. I'm seeing no changes.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:29 pm

patito wrote:It doesn't work fine though, with the new update when you start typing in the bar it'll say "visit so-and-so" when you start typing and that's not necessarily your most visited site that starts with that letter but it sometimes does match up.

It is a very annoying behavior when you're used to the old way of doing things.

Try this http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- ... n-firefox/

Yeah this doesn't work. This is new behavior as of 43.0.1 yesterday, not 41 in June.

edit: What I'm talking about is that when I type in, say, "us", what I get now is this. That top entry used to not be there, it interferes with my clicking habits and is visual clutter. I want to get rid of that.

patito

Postby patito » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah, I get that exact behavior and it's really annoying me too, I just linked that in case I was misunderstanding you.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Mongrel wrote:No, I mean my browser still does what TA is describing as pre-update behaviour. I'm seeing no changes.

If you're on 43.0.1 and not seeing this thing, can you link/post your Prefs.js somewhere? I'd like to look for the difference.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Oh weird. I thought I was on automatic updates... turns out I'm not!

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:28 pm

TA wrote:edit: What I'm talking about is that when I type in, say, "us", what I get now is this. That top entry used to not be there, it interferes with my clicking habits and is visual clutter. I want to get rid of that.

It just wouldn't be FF if they didn't screw with the UI unnecessarily every other release. Try setting browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete=false in about:config.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:46 pm

That did it! Thank you.

patito

Postby patito » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:42 pm

You're a lifesaver

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 am

My old piece of shit, Dell Inspiron laptop that I bought for around $350 dollars during a black friday sale around 4-5 years ago, started making a beeping sound instead of booting last month. I finally decided to try and troubleshoot it. After checking to make sure everything was plugged into the motherboard right, and that the RAM hadn't failed, I did the only sensible thing: I baked it.

I unplugged everything from the motherboard that could be including the CPU, removed it from the rest of the laptop, and popped it in the oven for 10 minutes at around 350°F. Once it cooled, I put it back in the laptop, plugged everything back in and booted her up. Works good as new. It turned out the problem was a bad soldering job on the northbridge on the motherboard that can cause the solder to deform and no longer make contact. It is a problem common in many Inspiron models (the m50xx type ones) that can be fixed either with a heat gun or more humourously by popping the thing in the oven like a pizza pie.

My only mishap was that I forgot to take out the C-MOS battery so that swelled up and broke itself, but I'll soon replace that and the thing will be as good as new.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:52 pm

I have an SSD that I keep my games on.

OpenSUSE mounts the drive just fine, and reads from it just fine. I can do simple write ops -- touch a file, then edit some text into it and save, that kind of thing -- but any time I try to do something more complex than that, it starts erroring out, and from there if I unmount and then remount it, I get this fucking shit:

Code: Select all

Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
Failed to sync device /dev/sdd2: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdd2': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation

There is no fucking RAID. There is no fucking filesystem corruption. There are no fucking hardware problems. I've run chkdsk /f on it repeatedly, and run SMART scans besides. The disk is fine.

And not only does the disk work flawlessly in Windows, it also works flawlessly from my Debian alt boot.

And OpenSUSE hasn't given me any trouble mounting any other NTFS-formatted drives. And it used to work fine with this one.