Computerus

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Computerus

Postby Smiler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 pm

MarsDragon wrote:I think this is the right thread.

So my Logitech wireless headphones died, again, about a year after I got them. This is bullshit. I want a comfortable headset (mic included), preferably wireless, that will last me for over a year. Any suggestions?

Contact Logitech support. They love replacing broken shit as long as it's in warranty, and most of their stuff at least has 2 years.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:40 pm

I can check if it's still in warranty yeah, but if the new ones break again in a year then I'm out of warranty and will have to buy new ones. Solving the problem is finding headphones that last longer than a year.

I know I had a couple 20-dollar Sony headphones that lasted four or five years each! ...of course, they're also discontinued now.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:57 pm

MarsDragon wrote:I know I had a couple 20-dollar Sony headphones that lasted four or five years each! ...of course, they're also discontinued now.

In my experience the best possible headset was plug-n-play usb, had the best volume control on the wire (which was super long), and as people who have been in vent with me can attest; was the only one I actually sounded good on (including an expensive fancy standing mic) and was twenty bucks.

You might have a hard time finding any PS2 headsets though.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:59 am

So can you fry a keyboard and mouse by connecting them to a USB hub that's hooked up to a power adapter that's the wrong amperage?

Because I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes" and that I just did.

On the one hand, 8 years is a pretty good run for a keyboard and a mouse.

On the other, $120 is an expensive damn mistake.

And I don't know where my spare keyboards and mice are; they're either in boxes or still at the old house. Think I can probably borrow a keyboard and mouse from work tomorrow to use as a stopgap until I buy replacements; we'll see.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Replaced my VerticalMouse 3 with a VerticalMouse 4.

Build quality seems improved.

But filed under "How the fuck to you get THAT wrong?", the buttons are fucked up. By default, the wheel button isn't mapped as button 3; you have to right-click to get a middle-click, and use the fourth button to get a right-click.

And no, this isn't just a "shitty Linux support" thing; it does exactly the same thing under Windows unless you install Evoluent's utility.

Looking at the defaults on the utility, it appears that putting right-click on the bottom is intentional but putting wheel-click on the right mouse button is not; the diagram onscreen shows that the wheel is supposed to be mapped as middle-click by default.

Now, Evoluent makes a great mouse, and also has great customer support -- the only issue I've ever had with their product (prior to this week's fuckup, which was my fault) was when a button got stuck on the first mouse I bought from them, and they promptly replaced it under warranty.

But it is absolutely astounding that they released a product, on the market, with this incredibly basic and obvious bug. And charge $90 for it.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Why'd you replace your VerticalMouse 3?
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:28 am

Look up a few posts.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:48 am

Oh, whoops. My VerticalMouse 3 was having some click recognition issues for a bit (seemed like every 20th left-click or so wouldn't register), but it's working reliably again.

I tried a cheaper vertical mouse briefly, but the manufacturer clearly didn't realize that you can't easily apply as much force to a single button as you would with a traditional mouse. All of the buttons were way too damned stiff.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah, like I said, the ring/pinky/bottom button got stuck on the first VerticalMouse 3 I bought but they replaced it. The buttons seem tougher on the 4 but it's still too early to tell for sure. I'm pleased with the build quality (and the decision to move the sensitivity adjustment button off the bottom while still managing to find a place where you won't hit it by accident), nonplussed by the additional glowy lights, and just baffled by the incredibly dumb and bizarre button mapping.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Sooooo it seems like the Surface Pro 3 is exactly the same device as the Surface Pro 2 except with a better screen and worse battery. Also the 32gb version sucks harder than the 32gb SP2.

Am I missing something?

edit: OH WHOOPS THERE'S A THREAD FOR THIS

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Note to self:

Make sure hard drive in newly-built computer is actually plugged in before freaking out about your motherboard/OS not seeing the hard drive.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:59 am

Ever since I moved, my front case fan has periodically gotten noisy. As if something's stuck in it or it's crooked and hitting something. I haven't been able to find a cause. Removing and replacing the filter over it sometimes helps; other times I have to shut the computer down entirely.

The fan frame is secure and doesn't wiggle at all, but the fan itself (the part that spins) has a little bit of play and could possibly be moving back and forth instead of just around. It doesn't look like it at a glance, though.

I can't really easily get to it inside the case (would have to remove a bunch of drives and cables). I blew it out once and it was quiet for awhile but it started kicking up again. (And I hate (1) blowing dust inside the house and (2) blowing it INTO the case.)

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:04 am

It might need to be lubricated. I had the same problem with a graphics card fan, and currently I have a front case fan starting to go as well. You could poke a hole in it very carefully and putting some oil in it, or just get a new fan.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 am

For some fans, they're quasi-made to have touch-ups to their lubrication by adding oil.
You can even save a fan from debris in its well by adding lubrication... though "save" is a relative term.
Either the lubrication forces out the debris after enough applications, or eventually the debris just wins out, though I've kept one fan alive for over a year after its first improperly done oiling.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm

With the addition of a pair of UPSes, I should no longer care about the electricity in this apartment being occasionally shitty. It only took two instant blackouts (power blinks off and back on - long enough to take down both computers) and tripping the circuit breaker twice.

TA

Postby TA » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 pm

I need help finding a program to do what I want to do.

I want a program that just sits in my system tray and pops up an alert whenever a specific Twitter account uses one of a list of specific words. Basically, exactly Feed Notifier, except reading Twitter instead of RSS. I used to use Feed Notifier for exactly this, but then Twitter shut down their RSS service so I'm helpless.
のほも is such a good word?? the concept is kind of hard to fully get across in translation, but basically it means a feeling of pure, deep, platonic affection, and i think thats beautiful

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Why do I feel like the name for such a program should be "Trigger Warning".

sei

Postby sei » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 pm

TA wrote:I need help finding a program to do what I want to do.

I want a program that just sits in my system tray and pops up an alert whenever a specific Twitter account uses one of a list of specific words. Basically, exactly Feed Notifier, except reading Twitter instead of RSS. I used to use Feed Notifier for exactly this, but then Twitter shut down their RSS service so I'm helpless.

So set up a layer of indirection. Cheat and use a page to rss service like feed43, feedity, page2rss, or numerous others...

API v1.1 will support JSON only. ... dropping XML support on the Streaming API and more recently on the trends API. ... Consequently, we've decided to discontinue support for XML, Atom, and RSS, which are infrequently used today.

Scrape those greedy fuckers until they bleed.

If those RSS tools refresh too slowly for you, then you may need to host something of your own. Just look for "Twitter JSON to RSS" and you'll start finding alternatives.

Mongrel wrote:Why do I feel like the name for such a program should be "Trigger Warning".

Because you still don't know the difference between Twitter and tumblr.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 am

My computer's got a problem: I switch it on, it does the usual beep, but right when windows is about to load, it shuts off. I thought it might be the power supply, because that's been giving me issues for months, so I replaced it today, but it's still giving me the same problem!

Help!

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:02 pm

... If you're using windows, can you get a safe mode boot?
Or, maybe you'll need to find a boot disk and boot off of that.

EDIT:
Some driver problems are "easy" to isolate reviewing failed boot logs in safe mode.